Don't like Shure SE310, what to get instead (am an AKG ATH fan usually)
Sep 16, 2011 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ry_goody

100+ Head-Fier
I used to really like the old Shure e4c. It had a bit rolled off highs, not the most detailed, but it had enough detail and a good sound signature to make electronic music really engaging. So I got the new Shure se310 thinking it'd just be an improvement on the similiar priced e4c. The SE310 is all around more detailed, and more clear, but they added a HUGE midbass/mids bump making the thing far too dark and warm for my taste. Alot of electronic music sounds muddled, like your listening to it through a pillow to me. I find that classic rock, metal and alternative rock are fairly engaging on the SE310's but thats not what I listen to the most. I listen to alot of electronic music, psychedellic ambient, some trance, idm , house. The ability of speakers to reproduce the very crisp and detailed buzz of synthesizers is important to me, all the while having decent bass impact.

My favorite sound system I've had thus far was:
EMU1212m -> silver interconnects -> Bada PH12 hybrid amp with darker tubes -> black dragon cable -> AKG K701
This resulted in a slightly more detailed, slightly darker, more bassy AKG k701. Really my ideal sound is all the clarity and balance of the AKG k701, the clear pronounced highs, but with a little bit more tinge of darkness and boom. Or perhaps an HD650 with a bit more glow to the highs. 

I also have some ATH-A500's and rather like these, very detailed for their price, maybe slightly too bright, somewhat recessed mids, but good bass impact, this would be an ideal sound for me too.

I have some Grado SR-60's and like them, but prefer something with a bit more pronounced high, and more detail althroughout.

I've tried Beyer DT770's and like their detail and sound signature generally speaking, but prefer the mids to be not that recessed.

I've tried etymotics one of their older classic models, the lack of low-end make them very unengaging to me, despite the detail.

The Westone 2's had an overall calmness and neutrality to them that made them not super interesting to me.

So what do you guys think I should look into?

To summarize I want:
-Solid level of bass and bass impact.
-Mids that are no way pushed forward, I would prefer slightly recessed mids if anything
-Highs that some might say almost 'shimmer', I really like crispness to highs, that aren't overpower by any other frequency. I prefer AKG K701's to HD650's because I think the 650's muddle the highs too much.
-DETAIL, I don't want anything to be smoothed over. I am not worried about something be 'fatiguing'. I love things to be extremely crisp. 
-Neutral to more bright while retaining good bass impact. I do not want something too far on the 'warm' side like Grado sr-60's or sennheiser HD555's.

So right now I am looking at the UE Triple.Fi 10's the most seriously, haven't tried them though.
The westone 4's supposedly have good clear highs and bass impact, but people say they are too relaxed which I don't like, so I'm not sure about those haven't tried them either.
The senn ie8's sound like they might be too dark and warm for my taste, but I don't know, haven't tried either.

Any recomendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back