Don't install Windows Media Player 9 if you use Rhapsody
Sep 8, 2002 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
If you use the wonderful Rhapsody music service (I got turned on to it by a post from Nick Dangerous a few months ago), a warning: make sure you don't install the new Windows Media Player 9 beta! I just did and it kills Rhapsody. Alas, there doesn't seem to be a way to fully uninstall WMP 9, according to the Rhapsody help site.

Sep 14, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 6
The Rhapsody guys just released a new version last night that's supposed to fix the problem (v1.5, build 0.84). It fixed the problem for me at work, but I'm still having problems at home (I use the "dial-up modem" setting from home).

Sep 20, 2002 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Whoa... thanks for the warning. I'll make sure to avoid it until they fix this issue.

Windows Media Player 9 should be avoided regardless. WMP9 hyas the ability to recognize an MP3 title on your computer (that you made with another program and played with WMP9) and encrypt the file so that it may only be played again on that machine. I don't know if this "feature" is turned on right now, but that it has the ability at all is enough for me. It'd be one thing if it treated the files it created this way, but to alter my personal files during playback is, in my view, a trojan horse.

Sep 20, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 6
WHAAAAT?!?!

eek.gif

Sep 20, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 6
Just to add more fuel...

I'm a little opposed to anything being installed on my machine which cannot be uninstalled.

Service packs for Windows may now be uninstalled and yet Windows Media Player 9 cannot. It is difficult to believe this was not intentional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back