Donald Fagen's Morph the Cat
Mar 14, 2006 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

fearless

100+ Head-Fier
Donald Fagen's Morph the Cat just came out today and so far so good. I got the CD + DVD Audio version (Not Dual Disc, 2 seperate discs). Excellently recorded/produced of course. It sounds more like Steely Dan to me than Kamakiriad did. I definatly recommend checking it out. Haven't actually checked out the DVD Audio yet. Any first impressions from anyone else?

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 25
I agree, it is closer to Steely Dan than Kamakiriad (which I found to be a fairly boring album actually). It also has massive punch in the bass department, it seems he is pushing the levels to get a bit of "tube warmth" type distortion, but I like it. The bass and drums are really compressed, so it is a loud album, but the rest of the instruments and vocals aren't overcompressed (like so many albums of late), so hooray on that - I think the mix is quite good.

Songs sound pretty cool too, but only heard it once so far.

I think The Nightfly is phenomenal, and he really found his own voice (as opposed to sounding like Steely Dan, which IMHO is not necessarily a bad thing), but when I listen to Nightfly, its like "dude, where's my bass"?

-- Gordie

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 25
"Morph The Cat" is a solid and enjoyable album; it has some of Fagen's catchiest and most melodic songs to date (either solo or with Steely Dan). The first single "H Gang" and "What I Do" in particular have killer hooks. I kind of agree with gordie in that "Kamakiriad" overall is kind of boring (although I do like "Snowbound" and "Tomorrow's Girls").

"The Nightfly" though is still Fagen's best solo album. Hard to believe he's managed to squeeze out only three solo albums in the last 24 years! I first heard "Nightfly" in high school, I was in college when I bought the then newly-released "Kamakiriad," and now "Morph" is in my collection as an adult in my early thirties. Boy does time go by fast!

"Morph's" sound is full, rich and crisp, with the same sound signature as the last few Steely Dan albums. I also got the 2-disc package, with 1 Redbook CD and 1 DVD-A, and the hi-res 2-channel sound is wonderful. Don't have my multi-channel stuff hooked up so I can't comment on the 5.1 mix, but I'm pretty sure it lives up to engineer Elliot Scheiner's high standards.

One last thing....gordie also hit it on the head regarding the bass on "The Nightfly" album. Where did it go? That's what I thought way back when. Hehe, it's there but not as present as in other recordings. Maybe because it was recorded in the early years of full digital multitrack recording. But I still love the sound of that album.

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 25
I blindly bought it on Tuesday when it came out because I'm an SD and DF fan. I loved on the first spin, and it keeps getting better!
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovecables
I blindly bought it on Tuesday when it came out because I'm an SD and DF fan. I loved on the first spin, and it keeps getting better!
biggrin.gif

Indeed it does seem to be growing on me with each listen as well. I can't recommend it enough especially for Steely Dan fans.

Mar 18, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordie
I agree, it is closer to Steely Dan than Kamakiriad (which I found to be a fairly boring album actually). It also has massive punch in the bass department, it seems he is pushing the levels to get a bit of "tube warmth" type distortion, but I like it. The bass and drums are really compressed, so it is a loud album, but the rest of the instruments and vocals aren't overcompressed (like so many albums of late), so hooray on that - I think the mix is quite good.

Songs sound pretty cool too, but only heard it once so far.

I think The Nightfly is phenomenal, and he really found his own voice (as opposed to sounding like Steely Dan, which IMHO is not necessarily a bad thing), but when I listen to Nightfly, its like "dude, where's my bass"?

-- Gordie

I really like "Morph The Cat." Gordie said it best. Music similar to classic Steely Dan, sound quality is not phenomenal, but it is quite good...

Mar 18, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 25
Picked it up at BB today.

I love BB.....

CD+DVD Audio, marked at 13.99!!!

eek.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 25
Have you been narcotized lately?

Fred Kaplan, Music Editor for Slate attempts a hermeutics of Morph the Cat:

Who Is Morph the Cat?
http://www.slate.com/id/2138489/

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordie
-- Gordie

I hope that's not the case on the vinyl version (the compression I mean). Acoustic Sounds has it and is saying how great the sound quality is.
Anybody bought the LP version yet? How's it sound?
TR

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
I hope that's not the case on the vinyl version (the compression I mean). Acoustic Sounds has it and is saying how great the sound quality is.
Anybody bought the LP version yet? How's it sound?
TR

I'm not absolutly sure on this, but I recall reading somewhere how Fagen was disappointed that there wasn't going to be a vinyl release of the album.

Mar 23, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fearless
I'm not absolutly sure on this, but I recall reading somewhere how Fagen was disappointed that there wasn't going to be a vinyl release of the album.

Wonder how come someone said that? He supposedly approved the test pressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back