Dolby Headphone Denon receiver question
Oct 2, 2002 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
A few people have made references to a somewhat expensive Denon receiver that includes Dolby Headphone. If anyone has access to one, I have some brief questions.

Over in the HeadRoom forum, I suggested to Tyll that I'd be interested in a high end headphone amp that included Dolby Headphone. Tyll stated that it's not really possible to make a traditional amp with Dolby Headphone because the processing occurs in the digital domain.

Well, now I'm confused about what the Denon actually does. I thought the implication was that the Denon could do Dolby Headphone processing on any source coming through the analog jacks. Does it actually only work on sources coming through a digital jack?

Oct 2, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 8
That receiver (AVR-5803) has 192 kHz A/D capabilities, so it would appear that the analog inputs are converted to digital first before any processing is done on them.
(DH or otherwise. ie bass management)

Oct 2, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
That receiver (AVR-5803) has 192 kHz A/D capabilities, so it would appear that the analog inputs are converted to digital first before any processing is done on them.
(DH or otherwise. ie bass management)

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeah I know, but how else are they going to do it over analog?
DH like DD is a digital format.
Now if they come up with a DH spec that works with Dolby Pro II then I guess it could be done analog.
confused.gif

Oct 2, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 8
boot
I mistakenly thought it WAS analog. Unfortunately this means I'll never be using it at home with my SACD player.

Still hope for the work system and portables I suppose.

Oct 2, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
boot
I mistakenly thought it WAS analog. Unfortunately this means I'll never be using it at home with my SACD player.

Kelly, is that because the A/D conversion would negatively impact the sound?

Isn't it possible at this point to do A/D conversion that is transparent, or almost transparent? I thought the technology had come a long way...?

Oct 2, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
Kelly, is that because the A/D conversion would negatively impact the sound?

Isn't it possible at this point to do A/D conversion that is transparent, or almost transparent? I thought the technology had come a long way...?

In addition to A/D, which is expensive to do correctly by itself, there would also be D/A conversion, which is also expensive to do well. The bulk of expense in my digital source is in the DAC and amplification. To introduce another analog->digital->analog conversion to that would be... well, a stupid waste of money on my part.

Oct 3, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 8
Something else to consider: Denon is planning to introduce (if it's not already out) a DVD-A player with a *proprietary* digital connection to their receiver. It may not be for you, Kelly, since you have an SACD player already, but anyone who wants hi-rez sound AND Dolby Headphone without all those A/D/A conversions could do this.

A couple of quick links on the Denon player are here and here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back