Dolby Headphone amp?
Mar 30, 2006 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Deathwing

New Head-Fier
I'm new to the forums, so I'm not sure I'm making this post in the right place, so please move if needed.

I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD595's. The sound quality is great! I listened to my music on it for a couple days and I'm hearing things I didn't on my Cerwin Vega's. I went back to my speakers just for comparison, I was suprised how muddled the bass sounded. I do miss the thump of the bass from my 150W subwoofer, but really, you can't expect that from a headphone.

Anyway, I was previously using an HK DPR 1005:

http://www.harmankardon.com/product...&sjump=&#active

I've tried my headphones hooked up in two ways. Either directly to my computer via the heaphone out jack, or 5.1 out from my computer to the 6 channel in on my receiver, and then to my headphones. I want to say I liked the latter setup more. I didn't notice any crackling when multiples of the same sound were playing at the same time(like buffing up for a raid in WoW). It was probably because the receiver was using Dolby Pro Logic IIx and Dolby Headphone.

This is where my first question comes in. The receiver said it was using Pro Logic IIx, but I thought that was only for 2 channel sources. Was it using all of the 5.1 information, and only using Pro Logic IIx because Dolby Headphone needs DD stream?

Second question, does Dolby Headphone have problems with distinguishing directly front and back? Because I really couldn't tell a difference.

Final question. I feel that my receiver is better used hooked up to a TV, Speakers, DVD player, etc, instead of just for my headphones. Are there amps/receivers specifically built for headphone usage? I've looked at the headphone amps in the sticky above, and it looks like they are stereo amps. I was hoping for something that had multichannel analog inputs, I like the sound of Dolby Headphone.

Thanks for any responses.

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Second question, does Dolby Headphone have problems with distinguishing directly front and back? Because I really couldn't tell a difference.

couple of points

1-there must acutally be surround content encoded to the disc for there to be any front/back separation
2-there are limits to what you can expect from two channels even if there are five or more mixed in.With a speaker based system you get both physical and electronics separation,with headphones electronic only

Quote:

Final question. I feel that my receiver is better used hooked up to a TV, Speakers, DVD player, etc, instead of just for my headphones. Are there amps/receivers specifically built for headphone usage? I've looked at the headphone amps in the sticky above, and it looks like they are stereo amps. I was hoping for something that had multichannel analog inputs, I like the sound of Dolby Headphone

This seems to be the single best stand alone/use with any system solution :

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/JV...e_Adapter.html

portable or home use,direct digital input from the computer/DVD player,compact.Have not yet heard one but will
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 4
I understand the difference in separation between headphones and physical speakers...but I can't go back to speakers, these headphones sound too nice!

Let me clarify, this is mostly for computer/gaming use. So, that JVC thing, while nice, wouldn't work because with the exception of old nforce2 mobos and the recent bluegears card, all surround sound is output on 5.1 analog. Does such a system exist for headphones?

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Let me clarify, this is mostly for computer/gaming use. So, that JVC thing, while nice, wouldn't work because with the exception of old nforce2 mobos and the recent bluegears card, all surround sound is output on 5.1 analog. Does such a system exist for headphones?

Optical spdif to JVC device/JVC to headphone amp.the literature says it will decode all version of Dolby Surround so I assume all are mixed down to a two channel stereo format for headphone use and would seem to be the ideal solution to all multichannel headphone use when there is a digital output available at the source.
the portable factor means laptops on the go as well as portable DVD player use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back