Doing my first recable - Grado SR-60, some quick guidance?
Aug 24, 2011 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

_nomad

Head-Fier

Ok, so the cable on my SR-60's broke at the Y joint for the third time recently, and I decided that instead of sending them in, I'd try to recable them myself. I've read some of the guides here on the forum, and I think I should be ok. I have no experience with soldering, but Grados should be pretty easy to work with for a novice, no? I've bought some Mogami 2893 and lots of heatshrink and multifilament:)

So here's the deal: I thought I'd make the cable detachable, that way I don't have to desolder anything, and it would be really nice to be able to switch between different cable lengths. So I got these jack sockets, along with some rean mono plugs. 

I think I have everything now, but I have a few questions..
Firstly, the jack sockets. When I got them, i noticed there were three "tabs" on them, even though the ebay listing said they were mono, and it even said so on the ziplock they came in. Which tab is what?

Also, is there a way to identify cables inside the cups without a multimeter? I don't own one, and I really can't afford one either, so any help would be greatly appreciated:) My right driver has a blue and a white wire and the left one has a red and a blue one. Anyone?

Okay, last question; what do people usually do with the cable shielding? should i connect it to snything at the source end, or just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions!

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 12
plug in a blank plug and use a multimeter to work it out - you might be able to tell just by looking at it

the extra pin on the back will be a switched pin for when a plug is not plugged in

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 12
He doesnt own a multimeter..

I guess the blues are ground and red might be right and white left. Mine was exactly opposite.. (red-left and White-right)

Maybe you can try it with a 9 volt battery.. Touch one pole to the jack ring or tip and then the wire to the other pole. When you see a spark then you will know what wire is which. But do it after you desolder them from your drivers. its a bit of a ghetto way but should work

Also make sure to draw a diagram or somethg so you dont forget where you got the wires from.

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 12
and also the jack might have two ground point.

you should really invest in a multimeter dude. there are some really cheap ones out there

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 12

Looks like the bottom ones are connected so they might be the ground

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 12
Don't own a multimeter? 
blink.gif

Buy one!

Aug 25, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 12
Ok, so there is no way to do this without a MM? I'm going away for a while tomorrow, and it would be really great to have the phones with me. Hasn't anyone done this using these parts before..?

Quote:
plug in a blank plug and use a multimeter to work it out - you might be able to tell just by looking at it

the extra pin on the back will be a switched pin for when a plug is not plugged in

Yeah, I think I've worked out what is what, the pin on the side is probably ground, and one of the pins in the back is disconnected when i put a plug in. So I leave that pin alone, then?

Quote:

I guess the blues are ground and red might be right and white left. Mine was exactly opposite.. (red-left and White-right)

Maybe you can try it with a 9 volt battery.. Touch one pole to the jack ring or tip and then the wire to the other pole. When you see a spark then you will know what wire is which. But do it after you desolder them from your drivers. its a bit of a ghetto way but should work

Also make sure to draw a diagram or somethg so you dont forget where you got the wires from.

Okay, well which is left and right doesn't really matter though, as I can just switch cups. But blues are ground? Good, as long as i get those right, I'm ok:)

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Ok, so there is no way to do this without a MM? I'm going away for a while tomorrow, and it would be really great to have the phones with me. Hasn't anyone done this using these parts before..?

Yeah, I think I've worked out what is what, the pin on the side is probably ground, and one of the pins in the back is disconnected when i put a plug in. So I leave that pin alone, then?

Quote:

Okay, well which is left and right doesn't really matter though, as I can just switch cups. But blues are ground? Good, as long as i get those right, I'm ok:)

they should be.. Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back