D'oh! No 3.5 jack on amp or DAC. Options?
Jul 17, 2020 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kulte

New Head-Fier
I ordered a Topping E30 DAC and an SY-DAP1002 amp to drive some passive speakers and sub. For some reason I didn't verify that there would be a 3.5mm female jack so I can use headphones. Of course there isn't.

Womp womp...

My original thought was to use USB from my PC to the E30, RCA to the amp, banana plugs to the speakers--and use the non-existent 3.5 out from the E30 for headphones.

Am I able to use a RCA A/B switch between the DAC and the amp and run a second set of RCA cables to something with a headphone out? I can't seem to find an A/B RCA switch that has 3.5 out.

Will an RCA male to 3.5 female adapter work? Or is this a "one way" connection where the cable is splitting a signal, not combining one?

Any other suggestions to make this combo work?

Thanks for answering a newb!

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 4
It looks like my choice is either a RCA switch and Y-splitter with a 3.5mm female or swap out the E30 for headphone amp.

If I swapped the E30 for a DX3 pro headphone amp (with 3.5mm and RCA out), connected the RCA cables between the DX3 and the SY-DAC1002 amp powering the passive speakers, would the fact that there are two amps working at once cause any problems?

I'm assuming that if I plug in the headphones that the signal to the speakers cut off.

Jul 19, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 4
my choice is either a RCA switch and Y-splitter with a 3.5mm female
That would not work at all for headphones. The E30 is a standalone DAC with only line level output, and no volume control.

If I swapped the E30 for a DX3 pro headphone amp (with 3.5mm and RCA out), connected the RCA cables between the DX3 and the SY-DAC1002 amp powering the passive speakers, would the fact that there are two amps working at once cause any problems?
A DX3 will work fine. The RCA are preamp outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back