Dog Names
Jun 21, 2005 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

saab

500+ Head-Fier
Well my wife and I are going to be picking up our new puppy at the end of July. We will be driving down to Florida from Michigan with her parents, who are getting one from the same litter. The problem is we can't think of anything to name him. He is an apricot Standard Poodle. Here is what he looks like (from the same family, but not him)

apricot1.jpg

We would like a Swedish or Spanish name. Something simple and short. Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks
-John

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 69
Well "Apricot" in portuguese is "Alperce" which sounds like a nice noble name for that puppy to grow into
cool.gif

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 69
Your instinctual choice is right - dogs recognize their names more reliably when they are monosyllabic...(I have had dogs named Jet and Cam.)

I also believe that they discern their name sooner and hear it better later in life when their hearing is going, if the name starts on a "hard" sound - sorry I don't have the proper term for it...but here are names that don't work so well: Phil, Sham, Theo, and so on...

The worst names are multi-syllabic, and soft... fifi, phillippe, sofia, samantha, and so on...

Names like Pepper, and JoJo work pretty well, but not as well as Duke, Tom, etc...

My $.02

Is that Poodle full-size? I have known two of them...they are among the smartest and most calm dogs I have ever met...good ones.
The color is interesting.

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #5 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy
Your instinctual choice is right - dogs recognize their names more reliably when they are monosyllabic...(I have had dogs named Jet and Cam.)

That's what I thought. Yes, he is a full sized (standard) poodle. He will be probably around 27 inches tall or so. Sarah and I are both so incredibly excited. We have been looking for the right dog for the longest time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Well "Apricot" in portuguese is "Alperce" which sounds like a nice noble name for that puppy to grow into

Thanks for the suggestion. I kind of like this.

Keep the thoughts coming please.
-John

Jun 21, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 69
Outside of keeping it distinguishable (starting a hard consonant works well), my dog names have to pass one other test: how's it going to age being yelled from the back steps or elsewhere in public. We've always named girls with girl names; Jenny, Maggie, Rosie, and Lola to date. A local cocker boy goes by Gunnar (which I would prefer to Lars
biggrin.gif
) Off hand, I would consider something beginning with a K or a T. Remember, the dearness of your new boy will be in direct proportion to the other nicknames and endearments he acquires; pick something with a good set of diminuatives..

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 69
I had a male german shepard in highschool his name was Rusty.... his fur was a red-ish brown rust color.

Garrett

Jun 21, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 69
Thanks for the link timoteus, I will give it a look. As for MJG, I like it, but it doesn't sound right to say "Stop biting that postman, MJG!" Thanks anyways.

Thanks again, and any other ideas are more than welcome.
-John

p.s. This dog is primarily for my wife, and she like the name Stanford. So that is what we are up against. I don't think tough, cool names are going to cut it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back