Dog-fi
May 8, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #676 of 922
I am very much in favor of positive reinforcement training.the most negative I would ever be will be a spritzer of water with the word no or coins in cans on a counter to stop counter surfing
Same here, especially with a dog like Renzo (already traumatised) we would always work to help him channel his energy. Of course he also got spoiled to bits and was allowed to dig up our garden because we thought it was funny as heck. :D

May 8, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #677 of 922
I actually have some staff which help out as it would almost be a full-time job caring for all the dogs. Though my latest project is the Terrier and Pom are getting loud barking out the window. This next project will be putting them in a small room every time they bark too much. There is always something going on that needs adjustment. Lots of shots and drops for ticks.

My other latest project has been a Kintamoni one year old. The bread is extremely loyal but can get scared easy as well as having that wild side. I was able to get him on two walks though I was warned they are very wild and don’t do well in public. Sure enough on the second walk, I was adjusting his leash when he turned on me resulting in six stitches! No more walks though he is the ultimate guard dog, and gets loose around the yard every evening until morning. This breed is the closest to a prehistoric dog with this fellow having full tiger stripes. I will have to get a photo posted.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #678 of 922
We are lucky we adopt retired racers (greyhounds) and they are a little sheltered but once they get use to retired life they are great pets and are well adjusted dogs. there biggest problem is they they are use to being with other greyhounds so they are no always great only dogs so you end up with several hounds in your house and that isn't really a problem.

Same here, especially with a dog like Renzo (already traumatised) we would always work to help him channel his energy. Of course he also got spoiled to bits and was allowed to dig up our garden because we thought it was funny as heck. :D

May 8, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #679 of 922
We are lucky we adopt retired racers (greyhounds) and they are a little sheltered but once they get use to retired life they are great pets and are well adjusted dogs. there biggest problem is they they are use to being with other greyhounds so they are no always great only dogs so you end up with several hounds in your house and that isn't really a problem.
Oh blimey, I am so jealous! Adopting retired greyhounds or whippets is also very high on our wish list, as they are such amazing dogs. (I have a real soft spot for whippets.) Once we have a house of our own and we can finally get a dog we will have to consider what we want to do, adopt from a shelter, adopt a retired racer or get a puppy from a specific breed (and a reputable breeder). Adopting will be most likely, as there are too many dogs that really deserve a good home.

May 8, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #680 of 922
I will let you know Whippets are very different the retired racers.

Greyhounds are very lazy almost like have a 60 to 80lbs cat.

My old man just lays around all day unless there is food around. I get some zommie around the yard when i get home and he is always ready for walks but thats it.

Whippets are way more hyper.

May 12, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #684 of 922
Hercules as a 2-month old. Retriever mode: activated! God he was such a cute little monster.

That is so cute! We just had a lot of fun with the neighbour's Leonberger, who is just about hitting puberty and as soon as he saw us he shot off running around while we were trying catch him. Through a neighbour's yard, another neighbour's yard, driveway, yard again, our house, driveway, yard and then we finally got him cornered in an ally. :D

Aug 3, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #685 of 922
Love this thread.
More pictures, please :heart_eyes:

Nov 17, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #686 of 922
2019-11-17 14.39.21.jpg 2019-11-17 14.44.09.jpg

Nov 17, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #687 of 922
Nov 17, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #688 of 922

Users who are viewing this thread

Back