Dog-fi
May 7, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #661 of 922
Yep.
Pomeranian....paid $120 at a pet shop.

Your dog looks like mine!

Her name is Nana and she is 5.
She has attitude, I guess that’s why she is my favorite of 6 dogs? She growls at my Wife too. Lol. She bit the plumber also. Even I can make her growl. She is crazy!

Have you found anything that works on tear stains? Mine has terrible tear stains, but the vet said that the products that used to work effectively on it are no longer for sale because it was unsafe or something.

May 7, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #662 of 922
Have you found anything that works on tear stains? Mine has terrible tear stains, but the vet said that the products that used to work effectively on it are no longer for sale because it was unsafe or something.

Well, here she gets a bath about three days a week as I walk her about that much. The stains seem to go away after a bath. I just look at it as natural dog life......you know......part of what they are as a creature.

I look at stuff like that as maybe an important part of who they are, like there is a reason for it?

I don’t know if three baths a week is bad, but she is the healthiest creature within a mile? I also have a Husky, another Pom, a Terrier and two Kintamani Dogs.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #663 of 922
Well, here she gets a bath about three days a week as I walk her about that much. The stains seem to go away after a bath. I just look at it as natural dog life......you know......part of what they are as a creature.

I look at stuff like that as maybe an important part of who they are, like there is a reason for it?

My dog goes out maybe once a month. He doesn't like going out in the yard unlike my former dog. Remember they are opposite dogs in every way.

I thought giving a bath that often strips away oils from the skin and fur? Since my dog is almost always indoors, he gets a bath once a month to 6 weeks and the tear stains mostly go away after a bath, but there's no way we'd give him a bath that often. He wiggles around too much and sometimes I'll jump in the shower with my surf shorts to wash him as it's easier than doing it from outside of the tub shower. There's a new community in our area that we have thought about moving to and one of the options is a dog shower area in the washer/dryer area and if we decide to buy new instead of resale, we'd definitely get that option. But we're hoping to find someone selling in that particular community within a year as we are a bit too picky in the community and area and we'd like to move before prices get more out of control than they are right now.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #664 of 922
Here is the Terrier and Husky. My top three favorites.

My dog goes out maybe once a month. He doesn't like going out in the yard unlike my former dog. Remember they are opposite dogs in every way.

I thought giving a bath that often strips away oils from the skin and fur? Since my dog is almost always indoors, he gets a bath once a month to 6 weeks and the tear stains mostly go away after a bath, but there's no way we'd give him a bath that often. He wiggles around too much and sometimes I'll jump in the shower with my surf shorts to wash him as it's easier than doing it from outside of the tub shower. There's a new community in our area that we have thought about moving to and one of the options is a dog shower area in the washer/dryer area and if we decide to buy new instead of resale, we'd definitely get that option. But we're hoping to find someone selling in that particular community within a year as we are a bit too picky in the community and area and we'd like to move before prices get more out of control than they are right now.
1B4E0E21-DBDC-44ED-9A25-6FF5EF34E2AC.jpeg
13855F55-F141-4714-B7B0-FF3DCBB5F999.jpeg
ECD5E98B-F454-4C09-8CC2-DB7E6E16ADE7.jpeg
0F3E9A4D-AB1B-4341-8F2A-1AD4E559EDF3.jpeg
06AD0807-EEC6-45C6-A71B-46CC25543068.jpeg
EE979175-84D4-47A3-928A-5DB3DF50770A.jpeg

May 7, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #666 of 922
Here is the Terrier and Husky. My top three favorites.

Love that terrier, and I so badly want a Husky. We have a few in shelters close by ready for adoption and it hurts me that I can't pick up one of them (not allowed pets in our current home).

My buddy Renzo...
IMG_1024.jpg
He was my sister in-law's dog. She rescued him from a shelter in Greece where she had worked several months as a volunteer. Poor guy was in bad shape when he came over, thin, ill, traumatised from who knows what he lived through before he was picked up by the shelter. So when she brought him over he obviously got spoiled to bits. We would take him on holiday around every New Year's Eve to a fireworks free area because he was afraid of the noise. Passed away a couple of years ago, just before we were to take him on the most extravagant holiday yet. But at least we were able to give him a few wonderful years.

May 7, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #667 of 922
The Terrier is the smartest dog I own. She understands a whole vocabulary of English words. Scary smart really. Also she is very contemplating and careful. She has run off twice though. They can get on a tangent and just go off smelling things around the neighborhood!

Love that terrier, and I so badly want a Husky. We have a few in shelters close by ready for adoption and it hurts me that I can't pick up one of them (not allowed pets in our current home).

My buddy Renzo...

He was my sister in-law's dog. She rescued him from a shelter in Greece where she had worked several months as a volunteer. Poor guy was in bad shape when he came over, thin, ill, traumatised from who knows what he lived through before he was picked up by the shelter. So when she brought him over he obviously got spoiled to bits. We would take him on holiday around every New Year's Eve to a fireworks free area because he was afraid of the noise. Passed away a couple of years ago, just before we were to take him on the most extravagant holiday yet. But at least we were able to give him a few wonderful years.

The thing is that Husky breeds like to run away. My dog has gotten away from me on walks about five times. One time a guy on the street flagged me down to say she was in the back of his repair shop. Another time when I was at a park trying to teach her to come to me she ran off and I found her in a men’s bathroom in the back of a restaurant. Lol.

They can run at maybe about 13mph......with in shape top runners getting up to 28mph....way faster than you can run!

Basically if they get out of the yard or off the leash, they are gone.

The breed just does not care if they get separation from you. This last time was at a hotel complex and I was chasing her for 10 minutes. I was really mad and beat her, and I think she kinda knows what’s going to happen if she runs off now. But that breed is easy to loose! They have been known to jump fences and be gone for good!

My buddy had his run off and finally found his dog tied up at a strangers house.

But other than that they are very sweet dogs and love to walk. You actually must walk them. They would never get aggressive. They only maybe would hurt birds in my experience.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #668 of 922
Pomchi?

Full pom?

Here's mine.

He's too needy, always wants to play, rarely gets angry unlike my former pom that wasn't needy, lazy, and was a mean dog especially as he got older. Completely opposite dogs.

I suspect my dog is mostly pom and a little bit of a long haired Chihuahua as he doesn't have the pom undercoat and body is longer like a Chihuahua. My first was from a legit breeder with papers and the 2nd was off Craigslist with no papers and the guy looked like he was backyard breeder (he looked like he was homeless and we did the transaction in a Del Taco parking lot), but this dog is way better than my first.
I'm glad we went with him instead of his brother that was all white, but in the end I wanted a brown pom as the former one that had passed away was brown as well.

My brothers pom, great dog super cozy and nice. My dog is a whippet as20150606_164430.jpg20150514_141524.jpg
And the Siberian husky/terv had to go last summer.

Attachments

• 20150830_131551.jpg
    20150830_131551.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
May 7, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #669 of 922
The thing is that Husky breeds like to run away. My dog has gotten away from me on walks about five times. One time a guy on the street flagged me down to say she was in the back of his repair shop. Another time when I was at a park trying to teach her to come to me she ran off and I found her in a men’s bathroom in the back of a restaurant. Lol.

They can run at maybe about 13mph......with in shape top runners getting up to 28mph....way faster than you can run!

Basically if they get out of the yard or off the leash, they are gone.

The breed just does not care if they get separation from you. This last time was at a hotel complex and I was chasing her for 10 minutes. I was really mad and beat her, and I think she kinda knows what’s going to happen if she runs off now. But that breed is easy to loose! They have been known to jump fences and be gone for good!

My buddy had his run off and finally found his dog tied up at a strangers house.

But other than that they are very sweet dogs and love to walk. You actually must walk them. They would never get aggressive. They only maybe would hurt birds in my experience.
Yeah, Husky's need a lot of exercise and an owner who is very consistent, not easy dogs if you want to get the best out of them. I would love an active breed like that, be it a Husky, Malamute, Border Collie or Vizsla, any dog that is very active and can be trained. But that would require a lot of time as well, so it depends entirely on whether or not I will be able to free up enough time to do it. I would be happy with my wife's favourite breeds as well, the big hairy ones like Newfoundlands and Leonbergers.

May 7, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #670 of 922

Red, You beat her? Please excuse me for expressing my opinion. I have had many dogs including a husky/wolf hybrid named Nikki. I would never "beat" an animal for misbehavior, let alone for doing what's in their nature to do. As a matter of fact, I personally have never had any success with negative reinforcement. Love and kindness, for me, has always been the best motivator. I'm sure that research on dog training would largely bear me out on that...your dogs are beautiful!

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #671 of 922
Red, You beat her? Please excuse me for expressing my opinion. I have had many dogs including a husky/wolf hybrid named Nikki. I would never "beat" an animal for misbehavior, let alone for doing what's in their nature to do. As a matter of fact, I personally have never had any success with negative reinforcement. Love and kindness, for me, has always been the best motivator. I'm sure that research on dog training would largely bear me out on that...your dogs are beautiful!

I’m the sweetest dog owner normally and have learned that hitting a dog is actually not needed. All my dogs respond with something as small as a tap on the head and a stern voice. I’m consistently amazing how well a change in tone of voice works. I actually agree with you, hitting is never needed.

But yes, in that situation I did hit her on the back of the shoulders a couple times. Only once and she is not afraid of my hand or anything.

Reason being she learned to pull the leash out of my hands to run off, and after than one time she has now stopped the behavior. It was the 5th time she had run off while I was walking her.

Thanks for the complement. But yes, I don’t foresee any hand slaps in the future with her?

Yes, research shows it’s never needed.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #672 of 922
I’m the sweetest dog owner normally and have learned that hitting a dog is actually not needed. All my dogs respond with something as small as a tap on the head and a stern voice. I’m consistently amazing how well a change in tone of voice works. I actually agree with you, hitting is never needed.

But yes, in that situation I did hit her on the back of the shoulders a couple times. Only once and she is not afraid of my hand or anything.

Reason being she learned to pull the leash out of my hands to run off, and after than one time she has now stopped the behavior. It was the 5th time she had run off while I was walking her.

Thanks for the complement. But yes, I don’t foresee any hand slaps in the future with her?

Yes, research shows it’s never needed.
I think that is both the beauty and the challenge of owning a Husky or similar breed. They are very smart, have tons of energy and essentially need the owner to be the Alpha, with lots of exercise and consistent instructions. They really need to be steered in their behaviour and have a good way to use all that energy.

A lot of dogs I see in the shelters come with stories of their owners not being able to handle them anymore and has nothing to do with the dog him/herself, just the owner not understanding the demands of the breed. That is why I think so many Staffies end up in shelters, as they are not easy dogs if you don't give them enough exercise. There is a beautiful Husky that just came in one of the shelters where the owners did not even last three weeks... That hurts me to see.

May 8, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #673 of 922
I think that is both the beauty and the challenge of owning a Husky or similar breed. They are very smart, have tons of energy and essentially need the owner to be the Alpha, with lots of exercise and consistent instructions. They really need to be steered in their behaviour and have a good way to use all that energy.

A lot of dogs I see in the shelters come with stories of their owners not being able to handle them anymore and has nothing to do with the dog him/herself, just the owner not understanding the demands of the breed. That is why I think so many Staffies end up in shelters, as they are not easy dogs if you don't give them enough exercise. There is a beautiful Husky that just came in one of the shelters where the owners did not even last three weeks... That hurts me to see.

Hitting dogs does not work, though my slapping fest was about
2 years ago and she is acting the way I want. I don’t see myself ever doing anything other than saying a loud NO!......from here on out.

I maybe should not have disciplined her that way? But it was in the heat of the moment. I was actually afraid of loosing her to running away. I would guess people would not comprehend owning a dog that actually wants to run away from you and doesn’t care almost if it ever sees you again? It’s not what most dogs are about. But I guess they just have this overpowering instinct to run and be free; like part of them is still a wild animal. That’s the pain and the beauty of owning the creatures.

Before she would randomly try to pull the leash out of my hands, to the point that for about a year I wrapped the leash around my wrist. But all is well now.

But I would agree, I don’t think folks truly realize what they are getting into getting a Husky which is a puppy? I didn’t......I thought they were a regular house dog only bigger. Lol

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #674 of 922
Hitting dogs does not work, though my slapping fest was about
2 years ago and she is acting the way I want. I don’t see myself ever doing anything other than saying a loud NO!......from here on out.

I maybe should not have disciplined her that way? But it was in the heat of the moment. I was actually afraid of loosing her to running away. I would guess people would not comprehend owning a dog that actually wants to run away from you and doesn’t care almost if it ever sees you again? It’s not what most dogs are about. But I guess they just have this overpowering instinct to run and be free; like part of them is still a wild animal. That’s the pain and the beauty of owning the creatures.

Before she would randomly try to pull the leash out of my hands, to the point that for about a year I wrapped the leash around my wrist. But all is well now.

But I would agree, I don’t think folks truly realize what they are getting into getting a Husky which is a puppy? I didn’t......I thought they were a regular house dog only bigger. Lol
Yeah, I can understand that in the heat of the moment you can get really worried, scared even of losing a much loved dog. It is a learning curve that can be quite steep, especially if you thought Huskies were a regular house dog. But clearly you put in a lot of effort and your dogs look very healthy and happy.

My wife and I are nuts about dogs and so we enjoy learning about the different breeds, mostly because we have been waiting to get one (or more) for ourselves for years now. We both grew up around dogs, but both working on our PhDs and subsequent careers has been too time consuming for a dog of our own. So now we live vicariously through anyone else who has a dog. :D

May 8, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #675 of 922
I am very much in favor of positive reinforcement training.the most negative I would ever be will be a spritzer of water with the word no or coins in cans on a counter to stop counter surfing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back