Doesn't every headphone have microphonics ?
Jun 18, 2004 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ton

Head-Fier
Reading all the threads about "microphonics" with in-ear phones and particularly the Etymotics I wondered how "normal" headphones would perform.
I put my old Koss PortaPro, not connected to a device, on my ears, and the first thing I noticed was the noise I heard when I fumbled with the cords. After that I tried my Sennheiser PX200 with the same result. Imho there wasn't much difference with my Etymotic ER-4P ! Of course the effect with the latter will be a little bit stronger because of the better isolation, but not that much.
Having sold my Stax lately I couldn't try them anymore, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had microphonics too.
So isn't it nothing more than a hype or something like an obsession ?

Jun 18, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 4
HD600s have low microphonics: I don't hear any sound from the blue part of the Cardas cord.

The Grados have slightly higher microphonics because the cord is not fully secured at the ear cup...

Jun 18, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ton
Reading all the threads about "microphonics" with in-ear phones and particularly the Etymotics I wondered how "normal" headphones would perform.
I put my old Koss PortaPro, not connected to a device, on my ears, and the first thing I noticed was the noise I heard when I fumbled with the cords. After that I tried my Sennheiser PX200 with the same result. Imho there wasn't much difference with my Etymotic ER-4P ! Of course the effect with the latter will be a little bit stronger because of the better isolation, but not that much.
Having sold my Stax lately I couldn't try them anymore, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had microphonics too.
So isn't it nothing more than a hype or something like an obsession ?

That's not the problem. The issue is that the Ety's, unlike virtually every other headphone, have a cable that's very thin and suscpetible to microphonics with even a gentle touch/brush.

Of the canal-phones I've heard thus far (ety er-4p, ety er-6, shure e3c, shure e2c, sony ex51), the Ety ER-6 was the worst for microphonics and occlusion, with the Ety ER-4p a close second.

The EX51 had some microphonics, but I didn't find it nearly as apparent/obtrusive as the noise I heard from the Ety cables. The Shure E3c does have microphonics issues if you wear them straight down; however, if you wear them over the ear, the microphonics are virtually eliminated. The E2c had no problems whatsoever with microphonics.

I wasn't rubbing the cable, trying to see how loud I could get the static/noise to go, I tested them as I would normally use them... walking around, sitting down, standing up, putting on/taking off a jacket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back