Does your headphone give you static ?
Jun 2, 2004 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
Happened to me the first time last night.
i was listening halfway and took off my a900 and put it on top of my polyester boxer on the laundry bin.
when i put it on my head again, i got static stung my ears a couple of time.
i think the right driver sort of touched my right ear and i got the static.

im not whinging about the static pain, but im concerned whether this will damage the drivers in some cases ? because as you know, static in computer parts (eg. CPU) will kill the parts.

Jun 2, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 12
Static, how about electrostatic?
Once I wore the Stax SR-003 to the gym and when the sweat rolled onto the driver I got zapped in the ear. It was a cute little shock and the they sounded "funny" until they dried out. I won't be doing that again time soon.

Jun 2, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
i was listening halfway and took off my a900 and put it on top of my polyester boxer on the laundry bin.
when i put it on my head again, i got static stung my ears a couple of time.
i think the right driver sort of touched my right ear and i got the static.

im not whinging about the static pain, but im concerned whether this will damage the drivers in some cases ? because as you know, static in computer parts (eg. CPU) will kill the parts.

There was a thread about this a month or so back. Had to do with the tendency of headphones to build up a static charge that was experienced as a shock or as audible static. The A900 seems particularly prone to this, and it has been suggested that the fabric covering on the cord might be generating static electricity. I get it occasionally with my A900s, but it's nothing more than a minor annoyance. No evidence that it would damage the headphones as I recall.

When the search function is working, you might look for the thread. In the meantime, you might consider all natural fiber shorts.
biggrin.gif

BW

Jun 2, 2004 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 12
Static zap shouldn't be a significant threat since it carry only a tiny amount of current to do any real harm. On the other hand, circuits/Chips are more prone to the damaged by a higher voltage of static electricity.

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 12
It sort of happened to me. I was working on an older computer monitor while wearing stock iPod buds, and for some reason I touched the screen. Shocked me in both ears; a painful and surprising experience. They most likely do it because I had the foamies off and just the bare metal grid....

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok

[size=small]Me too. I was getting ready to plug my SENN HD-600's into a 8 track tape player. It wasn't HI-FI. Heck, to be honest, it wasn't stereo. It was an old Glen Campbell 8 track. My favorite song was "Rhinestone Cowboy" Man oh man did my phones give me static!!! Little did I know how much they hated not only country music, but apparently my cans had a bad experience with an 8-track tape player and a bottle of tequila. They spent a week in Tiajuana one night!

Lesson: Keep your headphones happy. Feed them lots of classical music, heavy metal, or Jessica Simpson. (I think my cans have a crush on her
wink.gif

Time to go. Now my wife is giving me static about being on the Forums all night.
[/size]

[size=xx-small]
...........NOTE: people outside US-we use the word STATIC when somebody gives you problems. Play on words!
[/size]

Jun 3, 2004 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 12
I was the one who first noticed this problem with the A900's. It only happens in the winter and when it's dry, ideal conditions for static electricity to build up. The static discharging can be quite painful. I have determined the fabric on the cord is the culprit.

No issues in this regard with other phones.

Jun 3, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 12
yea, actually we have just entered winter here in sydney.
weather was significantly colder a few days ago... maybe thats why...
but as long as the static won't damage the headphone, and i can still enjoy music, i dont mind my ears getting zapped once in awhile...
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 12
Yeah, I get that sometimes on my cheaper headphones. Seems to be when I rotate my head along the axis of the driver (I.E. bending over, lying back, etc.). Is there a physics explanation behind this? Perhaps something involving the Poynting vector and/or torque?

Jun 8, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 12
Sometimes socks and other laundry can build up static. You could remove the foam protecting the drivers and replace with anti-static laundry sheets
biggrin.gif
The results might be shocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back