Does what I want even exist?
Dec 24, 2012 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

riplox

New Head-Fier
Well, I've been researching DAPs off and on for a few weeks now, including lurking this message board, and have yet to come to anything concrete since my list of priorities is varied, so I've come to you all for help. Is there anything that fits the list?

• No Apple products (I would probably go with one if I didn't have to use iTunes and it played more audio formats. Also, I dislike Apple as a company.)
  • Battery life should be longer than 20h for music playback without an amp.
  • Must be compatible with Windows 7 64-bit (I would just go with a Cowon if not for its Win 7 issues).
  • 8-32 GB with expandable storage or 100GB+ without expansion
  • Screen large enough to browse lists (Colorfly C3 and Sansa Clip are just too minimal and tiny)
  • Under $200 at regular price or over $200 if it's on sale for under $200
  • Sound quality...well, the best I can get for what I'm asking for. (I'll be running either Grado sr60s or AKG K-240s; no IEMs)

Secondary
  • Wifi if possible since I'd like to be able to use Pandora, but it's not necessary and am totally fine without it.
  • Thin profile as I'll be pairing it with an amp of some kind (I don't like bulky mess in my pockets.)

The closest thing to what I'm looking for, that I'm able to find, is the original Sansa Fuze, which is going for more than I'm willing to pay for it and I'm unsure of its sound quality. I'm also willing to bend on a few things such as initial storage capacity and screen size (or existence).

I would really love some help because this is driving me nuts.

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 6
[*] Must be compatible with Windows 7 64-bit (I would just go with a Cowon if not for its Win 7 issues).

What do you mean mun? Where you hear W7 has issues with Cowon? I have three Cowon players in my time everyone worked well with W7, no problem. Plug in > transfer > eject. Shame about the screen size because C3 would be perfect for you.

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 6
If you search for "Cowon Windows 7 64-bit problems" on Google, you'll see what I mean. It doesn't have problems with 32-bit however. Apparently there are issues with some models "bricking" if you don't transfer media properly and it has to do with Cowon not updating their firmware to work properly with 64-bit systems. Also, the C3 would be perfect if not for its tiny, practically useless screen, and its low battery life (10-20h from what I've read).

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 6
If you search for "Cowon Windows 7 64-bit problems" on Google, you'll see what I mean. It doesn't have problems with 32-bit however. Apparently there are issues with some models "bricking" if you don't transfer media properly and it has to do with Cowon not updating their firmware to work properly with 64-bit systems. Also, the C3 would be perfect if not for its tiny, practically useless screen, and its low battery life (10-20h from what I've read).

It's what I'd call "how much to you want to believe" from the internet. My laptop is W7 64bit, and I can tell you now I have had no problems with Cowon S9, C2, D2+ transfering, bumping them, disconnecting, unplugging before ejecting, and never had a problem, nothing nada ziltch. I think what you're reading are rare cases,...very rare, because I follow these forums closely and believe me if it was a common Cowon occurrence we'd know about it here.

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 6
Ipod Classic running rockbox might be possible, no idea about us price though.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Well, I figured I'd give an update and that I made my decision a few days ago and ordered the following:

Colorfly C3 (Has yet to arrive since it's being shipped from overseas, ETA Jan 13 or 14)
FiiO E11
AKG K-240 55-ohm headphones

The headphones came in a couple of days ago and sound fantastic, though a tad muddy with a flat EQ setting. They certainly aren't as crisp or harsh as my Grado SR60s, but that's a good thing if I'm going to be listening for extended periods, since they wear less on me than the SR60s. They're also far more comfortable. However, I'm not too sure about the construction as I would have liked to have seen more metal in the build. Too much plastic for my liking, but that's not enough to get me to return them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back