Does this headphone exist !?
May 25, 2015 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

minchia

New Head-Fier
It is almost 3 days I am looking into any possible website to find a suitable headphone for my sansaclip + and I didn't find any.
I am somehow disappointed so that is why I ask you experts for help !

To make it easier to understand, I list what I expect and what are my limitations :
1. Over-Ear style : Want it completely cover my ears
2. Not bulky and not heavy headphones. I would like to wear them in bus or when I walk around. for instance  Audio Technica Pro ATH-M40X is impossible to enter into my category.
3. No sound leak! : I don't want to disturb people siting next to me in bus.
4. At must 100 € / 110 $. 

I don't care much about other features. freq response, noise cancellation / isolation, heavy bass. If there were mayn options I would like to try the one with the must pure,natural and clean output.

L3000.gif
Cheers!
L3000.gif

May 25, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 23
Superlux HD660 for under €50 - earpads could be a bit small and the earcups don't fold flat though, but they're cheap and good for starting with.

I have the HD330 for my gaming rig but when I'm working on my laptop I use it instead of my HD600. Surprisingly good actually. You'd have to get over them ripping off Beyerdynamic though (but hey, earpads and driver foam covers are easier to find).

May 25, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 23
Beyerdynamic Look much more expensive than my budget.
Superlux is not something I can find in italy.for instance Superlux HD660 costs 70€ in amazon which seems too much. apart from that, i am not much found of the way cables connecting outside of the headphone.

What about more known brands like sennheiser, audiotechnia, sony or koss?

Another question : What about the impedance of headphones ? I read somewhere 32 ohm is sufficient for sansa clip +, does it mean if I get a headphone with more ohm, i just waist my money?

May 25, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 23
Marshall Monitor, very light, over ear, great sound, pro studio quality leakage, nobody will ever hear anything you're listening to. Price has come down a lot but I don't know if you can find them as low as $100, I paid $109 for my last pair. The list price is $200.

May 25, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 23
  Marshall Monitor, very light, over ear, great sound, pro studio quality leakage, nobody will ever hear anything you're listening to. Price has come down a lot but I don't know if you can find them as low as $100, I paid $109 for my last pair. The list price is $200.

Yes definitely one of the best, but unfortunately it is only available on huge price (200€) . where did you bought it?  

May 25, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 23
Superlux is not something I can find in italy.for instance Superlux HD660 costs 70€ in amazon which seems too much. apart from that, i am not much found of the way cables connecting outside of the headphone.

Not sure what you're describing about the cable (you mean the left to right cable? this is easier to service than how AKG hides the cable in the headband), but yeah if it's going to cost that much look for others first. 

I just meant that to some it's hard to like some Superlux products when they are clearly copies of the Beyerdynamic chassis.

What about more known brands like sennheiser, audiotechnia, sony or koss?

Not in that price range for Sennheiser and Sony; ATH-M50 for AT if you can find them anywhere at that price range, but the current M50X I think is well over that; not sure if Koss has any circumaural designs in that price range that are good (I just know the PortaPro, and the electrostat model).

Another question : What about the impedance of headphones ? I read somewhere 32 ohm is sufficient for sansa clip +, does it mean if I get a headphone with more ohm, i just waist my money?

32ohms won't be any problem for the Clip, but for example 150ohms on the Superlux aren't necessarily too difficult to drive - my Samsung Galaxy S3 has less undistorted power than the Clip but I can use that to drive the HD330 (which is also a semi-open headphone so it gets a fair bit of outside noise leaking in) and it isn't bad. I'd imagine the Clip should do better, but of course if you need it to play at levels with thundering bass then it might be distorting by that point.

May 26, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 23

Not sure what you're describing about the cable (you mean the left to right cable? this is easier to service than how AKG hides the cable in the headband), but yeah if it's going to cost that much look for others first. 

I just meant that to some it's hard to like some Superlux products when they are clearly copies of the Beyerdynamic chassis.

Not in that price range for Sennheiser and Sony; ATH-M50 for AT if you can find them anywhere at that price range, but the current M50X I think is well over that; not sure if Koss has any circumaural designs in that price range that are good (I just know the PortaPro, and the electrostat model).

32ohms won't be any problem for the Clip, but for example 150ohms on the Superlux aren't necessarily too difficult to drive - my Samsung Galaxy S3 has less undistorted power than the Clip but I can use that to drive the HD330 (which is also a semi-open headphone so it gets a fair bit of outside noise leaking in) and it isn't bad. I'd imagine the Clip should do better, but of course if you need it to play at levels with thundering bass then it might be distorting by that point.

Thanks! now I understand what you mean. 
With my price range I cannot go for top headphones for sure, so please give me more suggestion. 

Dont forget I need a portable + on ear headphone in 100€/110$ range .

May 26, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 23

Dont forget I need a portable...

That depends on other factors; I use mine as a transportable at work, given my laptop bag has a large enough space for it (although half the time I just hang it on the strap if I take my car, since it'll just be a short walk from the parking lot). 

...+ on ear headphone...

1. Over-Ear style : Want it completely cover my ears

Wait, do you need supraaural (on-ear) or circumaural (around-ears)?

...in 100€/110$ range .

If you're looking for circumaurals then the only one that's probably within that price range that folds flat is the Shure SRH-440.

If it's on-ears, the Momentum On-Ear is on sale in some websites.

May 26, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 23

That depends on other factors; I use mine as a transportable at work, given my laptop bag has a large enough space for it (although half the time I just hang it on the strap if I take my car, since it'll just be a short walk from the parking lot). 

Wait, do you need supraaural (on-ear) or circumaural (around-ears)?

sorry for my english! i meant over-ear.
Shure SRH-440 seems an interesting choice! will search to see what is the best price I can find around. :)

May 26, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #11 of 23
I read some reviews about SRH440. 
I was thinking having a coiled wire, it wont be pleasant to walk around.
​Maybe also putting a big headphone on with a coiled wire may seems ridiculous.

I like some headphone that doesnt look big. i really dont care about being stylish. 

May 26, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #13 of 23

I read some reviews about SRH440. 
I was thinking having a coiled wire, it wont be pleasant to walk around.
​Maybe also putting a big headphone on with a coiled wire may seems ridiculous.

YMMV of course but personally if the coiled wire is short it's not so bad for walking around; it's when it's still too long without pulling on it that makes it problematic (they're thicker so they're harder to manage,and that's what the coiling is for to begin with).

I like some headphone that doesnt look big. i really dont care about being stylish. 

That's a different perspective; usually it's the other way around. Most "stylish" headphones are meant to be as compact as possible, like these:

...all of which are designed with flatter cups, so you don't end up looking like this:

And admittedly since I was thinking along these lines I suggested the Superlux - not mentioning the need for it to be stylish to me meant "it's OK if they're round and plain black" 
biggrin.gif

So maybe I can rephrase me question :
Is there any high quality over-ear headphone that doesn't look too big?

In any case...for starters we have to consider the ear cup shape, so let's focus on flat earcups, like the ones I posted. A more elongated earcup design can also go around your ears without making the cups too large and enroach on your cheeks like with round cups. All these apply to the headphones whose photos appear above, but none of them are anywhere near your price range, which then takes us back to the SRH-440. They aren't that big as my earlobes barely fit in the earpads, but of course "too big" and size in general can be highly relative. I might not find any of those too big given my head size, frame/build, and height; but of course to a 5'2" girl these would likely feel humongous.

If size is this important would you consider just using IEMs? There are lots of lower price range IEMs that are surprisingly good, and when you're not listening you can coil the cable and put them in the carrying case which can fit in your pocket, like the TTPod T1-S, VSonic VS3DS, MEElectronics M6Pro, Havi B3 Pro...

May 26, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #14 of 23
  Yes definitely one of the best, but unfortunately it is only available on huge price (200€) . where did you bought it?  

http://www.amazon.it/MARSHALL-MONITOR-headphones-cuffie-professionali/dp/B00D3ITOHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432653008&sr=8-1&keywords=marshall+monitor

Still higher than your budget, I got mine from American Amazon

May 26, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #15 of 23

YMMV of course but personally if the coiled wire is short it's not so bad for walking around; it's when it's still too long without pulling on it that makes it problematic (they're thicker so they're harder to manage,and that's what the coiling is for to begin with).

That's a different perspective; usually it's the other way around. Most "stylish" headphones are meant to be as compact as possible, like these:

...all of which are designed with flatter cups, so you don't end up looking like this:

And admittedly since I was thinking along these lines I suggested the Superlux - not mentioning the need for it to be stylish to me meant "it's OK if they're round and plain black" 
biggrin.gif

In any case...for starters we have to consider the ear cup shape, so let's focus on flat earcups, like the ones I posted. A more elongated earcup design can also go around your ears without making the cups too large and enroach on your cheeks like with round cups. All these apply to the headphones whose photos appear above, but none of them are anywhere near your price range, which then takes us back to the SRH-440. They aren't that big as my earlobes barely fit in the earpads, but of course "too big" and size in general can be highly relative. I might not find any of those too big given my head size, frame/build, and height; but of course to a 5'2" girl these would likely feel humongous.

If size is this important would you consider just using IEMs? There are lots of lower price range IEMs that are surprisingly good, and when you're not listening you can coil the cable and put them in the carrying case which can fit in your pocket, like the TTPod T1-S, VSonic VS3DS, MEElectronics M6Pro, Havi B3 Pro...

lol , thanks for photos! all of them look super huge for me! shure SRH 440 is also very big, I just saw a review of it .
IEMs is not what I am intended to have. I like the effect of big ear cups on music :)

Today I went to mediaworld and tried a headphone that I really liked it. it size and sound quality was great, but the price was too much for me ! *******it 179€!!! 
I show you the photo so you have an idea what I am looking for : bose AE2

it covers the ear and it is very light , flexible and somehow invisible 

it is "around the ear" type of headphone . I want something like this! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back