Does the sight of this bother you?
Jul 17, 2002 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
AVR5803_smallBack.jpg

AAAGH! My eyes! I'm blind!

Jul 17, 2002 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 48
that is part of the Space Shuttle's audio system? right? No wait, the Who recorded Quadrophenia on that? That component is used to run the BART system? I thought I saw that on a nuclear submarine. Okay okay..it is a component designed to cause mass confusion for people into music?
md

Jul 17, 2002 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 48
Yeah since it's not hooked up in MY system.

Jul 17, 2002 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 48
Nick Dangerous
WOW nick. 7 channels at 170 watts per channel and thx certified. Talk about souround sound with 7 speakers. I bet is cost a lot of bread. I guess it has 3 front R, L, C and 3 rear R, L, C and sub front and back. At 170 watts per channel you can use some big ass speakers with it. I was looking at a thx certifed reciever and they start at 11or 12 hundred bucks for the bottom line. I found out that the thx ant nothing but a receiver thats just good enought to get certified as thx nothing really thx in it other than quality sound. I thought that it had some thx stuff in it. Makes my sony 500 watt 100 by 5 look sick.

Jul 17, 2002 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 48
The problem with such high end reciever is that you ant going to use rca plugs on it. Just think of all the money the ics are going to cost and will be much heaver also. Maby a concreek stand will do.

Jul 17, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 48
I used to set up surround sound systems as a sideline and the above pic illustrates why the average joe feels intimidated.
but once set up it would take HOURS ans sometimes a few phone calls before the customer could operate the remote with confidence.
The remote controls are not user freindly,tiny little buttons/microscopic lettering/multifunction shift keys, a real horror show
I am with Nick on this one KISS (keep it simple stupid).In fact , my present surround system is archaic,not up to present standards but enjoyable.
Passive surround on the David Hafler model using the Dynaco QD-1 Series ll Surround Sound Decoder.I was never really happy with what the DSP chip in a receiver did to my music , even in the two channel mode most of the "all in ones" I have either purchased or set up for others were lacking.
The only problem I had with passive was the center channel,it was too recessed so I put a resistor network on the center channel output to convert the speaker level signal to line level which allowed me to add a power amp .I used a Dyna MK-ll 50 Watt tube amp (dynacos first product !) followed by a T-pad for volume adjustment

AV switching-again , I do not like what electronic switching does to the audio signal so I went with mechanical switching.All video componants go to a 1-of-5 AV switch that in turn goes to a dedicated video input on my preamp.No remote control but so fkn what ? I always found it to be a pain in the ass to walk across the room ,put a video tape or dvd in,then walk BACK to my chair to use the remote control to swith to the correct input.Doing it at the receiver is out,can't even read the lettering on the front panel in most cases.

System power ? 10 watts up front ,50 center,ZERO rear,200 sub.Excluding the subwoofer I have 70 total watts available and she does RIP !
Efficient speakers help
Klipsch Heresys up front,DIY Buschorn MK lls in the back,custon DIY center,and soon a major subwoofer upgrade-DIY of course (size of a damn refridgerator !)

Killer but simple-no remotes (though I DO miss remote volume,may go motorized pot at some point,no sound degradation)

BTW-tired of waiting for Dolby Headphone to arrive as a stand alone componant I "rigged" up my own personal version of Dolby Pro Logic for cans.I use my old Audiopulse Model 2 Audio Delay as delay element and a simple mixing/subtracting/bandwith limiting matrix with a mild crossfeed on the "main" channel.
Main-straight through with selectable crossfeed
Rear-Left minus Right to the audiopulse,delayed,bandwidth limited,mixed to the main channel
Center-Left plus Right mix,bandwidth limited,mixed to the main channel
Individual volume controls for center,rear,master.
Selectable bass boost for movies that need it
State of the art ? HELL NO ! but gets me down the road in fine style

Damn,got me goin' on multichannel again

OH BTW-the output is a standard Hansen board headphone amp

Jul 17, 2002 at 4:58 PM Post #13 of 48
*FINALLY* an integrated reciever/amp/preamp with enough freaking inputs!

Daddy like...

Must buy...

Jul 17, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
please, oh please tell me that's $100 at best buy. . .

Nope. Way more than $100.00, and not sold at Best Buy. Actually, Denon makes some of the best home theater receivers on the market.

Jul 17, 2002 at 5:58 PM Post #15 of 48
I just googled and found the msrp ~$4,300.00 USD.

Here are the specs:

Quote:

THX Ultra2 Certified THX Surround EX/DTS ES 6.1 Discrete/Dolby Digital EX Pro Logic II/DTS A/V Surround Reference Receiver • THX Ultra2 Certified • THX Surround EX; DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1; DTS ES Matrix 6.1; DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Neo:6 Music Matrix Decoding; Dolby Digital; Dolby Pro Logic; Dolby Headphone; DTS • Ultra2 7.1 Cinema and Music modes • Lucasfilm Home THX Cinema 4.0, 5.1 and 6.1ES post-processing; THX Surround EX decoding • DVD-Audio decoding with Adjustable Digital Bass Management, Delay, Channel Levels and Tone Controls, through DENON Digital Link or External Analog Inputs • DDSC-Digital featuring New dual Analog Devices HammerHead SHARC 32-bit floating point DSP processors • 7 Channels equal power amplifier section • 170 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.05%THD) • 200 watts per channel (6 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, <.05%THD) • 24 bit, 192 kHz A/D conversion (Burr-Brown PCM-1804 x 4) on all analog inputs, including External 7.1 inputs • 16 Burr-Brown PCM-1738E 24-bit, 192-kHz highest resolution DACs, with DSD compatibility - each audio channel operating in differential mode • Pure Audio mode, features 4 DACs per audio channel in dual-differential mode • ALPHA 24 Processing Plus in Stereo/Direct/Pure Direct modes (left/right channels) • 4 24 bit,192 kHz Digital Interface Receivers • 3 sets component video inputs, compatible with wideband (480p, 720p, 1080i) response for progressive DVD, DTV (100 MHz) • 8 sets composite and "S" video inputs • Video Conversion of Composite to S-Video and/or to Component • 1 AC-3 RF digital input for laser disc • TWO sets of 7.1 external wide bandwidth (100 kHz) inputs for multi-channel formats with full Bass Management(defeatable) • 11(5 Coax, 6 Opt.) assignable digital inputs • 8 Channel Digital External Inputs • 13 analog inputs including built-in AM/FM tuner • Multi-Zone 1 stereo pre-amp outputs with video output • Multi-Zone 2 outputs, pre-amp outputs or speaker outputs • RS-232C port for external controllers • Remote In/Out Ports • 12 and 5 volt triggers • DENON Digital Link, for connection to DVD-9000 • Variable high/loss pass Crossover 40/60/80/100/120 • Audio Delay adjustment to match audio signals with video signals(0-200ms) • Digitally regulated volume control with .5dB increment adjustments and step range of -80 to +15 • Delay time adjustment increased to 20 feet per speaker in .1 foot increments • Auto Surround Mode stores modes by signal type(analog or digital) in memory • AKTIS RC-8000 LCD touchpanel remote with IR and RF transmission capability included • AKTIS RC-8001ST Charger/RF Base Station included • Download the owner's manual in PDF format • Dimensions: 17.1"w x 8.5"h x 19.1"d • SRP $4300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back