Does the MG Head OTL32 do low imp. cans?
Nov 6, 2004 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Puddleglum

100+ Head-Fier
I know it does, but does it do them well. I just bought some beyer DT770-80's and am considering my next purchase, an amp (hopefully tubes). I have read that the MG head has a light grain when playing low impedence headphones. Would replacing the EL84's with a less sensitive type help, or is this noise caused by another internal component? I can put up with a little noise for low impedence cans because those will be used for rock/pop, while I'll get some higher impedence cans for music that requires a black background.

Nov 6, 2004 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 9

tom hankins

Headphoneus Supremus
The amp does the low imp. phones as well as the high. It does however have noise with either of them. IMO the OTL32 is a good amp but not on the level of the Singlepower PPX3 in the same price range. It does drive the K1000 though. (otl32) I never did use mine for that while I had it, so not sure how good it does with them. The two phones I used most with the amp were the CD3000 and HD600. I got some hum from the amp with both phones.

Nov 6, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 9

bootman

King o'Ping
I just got one 2nd hand. (stock tubes)
I used a pair of grado SR-60s with good results.
Very low noise.
(yes there is some if you turn up the vol all the way with no music playing but I couldn't hear anything with music playing.)
It does have a gain switch.
I got plenty of volume with it on low.

I'll try a Sony V6 next.

Nov 6, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 9

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
I've had good success with mine using Grado SR225's. There was a touch of background hiss at very high volumes, but nothing that ever bothered me in the least.

When you consider that the OTL/32 can also drive (admittedly slightly on the margin, but as long as you don't REALLY crank them up...) the K1000, AND is a passable tubed pre-amp, it's a hell of a bargain IMHO. I've been very pleased with mine, and would recommend it to anyone.

BTW - It's also tube rectified, and if my understanding is correct, single ended. I've become a big fan of tube rectification ever since I had my nOrh SE9, as it IMHO produces a sweeter, more liquid and natural sounding tonal quality. This amp has been no disappointment in that regard.

Jan 21, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 9

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelFranks
I wouldn't buy it for low impedance cans (absolutely hated it with grados) but it is a great amplifier overall.

Hmmmm...I used mine with RS-1's and thought the combo was one of the best I'd ever heard for the Grado's - both sweet & controlled. I'd recommend the OTL32 to anyone using low-imp Grado's, hi-imp Senn's, or even AKG K1k's. A very versatile amp. Rolling tubes improves things even more.

Jan 21, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 9

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
I enjoy my OTL/32 immensely. With the stock tubes it drove the K1000 fairly well, I just wished it had a little more oomph. I replaced the stock EL84/6BQ5 with a set of Ruby Tubes (if memory serves) and they provide the extra oomph that I was looking for.

With Grados the amp performs nicely (SR125’s). With HD600’s and with HD650’s I find the combination too dull. No noise issues, it’s just too warm with the Senn’s.

I use it primarily with the K1000’s and for this use it gets an enthusiastic recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread