Does the ety ER-6i lack bass?
Dec 9, 2007 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

SBD

500+ Head-Fier
Most say these sound thin but some say that it just doesn't "exaggerate" the bass. I'm coming from marshmallows. I want to believe that it's balanced but the things are so tiny! I listen to hip-hop but hate overwhelming bass.

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 20
er6i lack bass, thats that. music without good bass response sounds rubbish and thin because most music is made from bass upwards, which is why its important and usually difficult for IEM's to get right.

etymotic eliminated the problem by reducing bass reponse and callin it accurate but i for one dont buy it at all

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 20
I would say the ER-6i features lightweight bass and is tailored to music genres that emphasise details in melody and harmony. Pops/vocals are usually well presented, and so is chamber. These IEMs are believed to be good for classical, but I found in some symphonic pieces bass drums in quiet parts could only be heard with the kind of attention I would use in speech analysis, double bass also sounds tired and dozy sometimes. However, bass extends quite well. They tend to respond to EQ, but that depends on your DAP. iPod is a dreadful match. I love the marshmallows (sadly murdered while performing a mod), and think their bass is strong but not boomy. If the 'mallows have overwhelming bass, then I would say the ety's bass is certainly underwhelming (unamped).

Hope this helps.

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 20
I beg for difference. I personally feel that ER6i gives out enough bass for me to enjoy (in fact, right on the spot).

How much bass should be there or what is a 'good bass response' is by all mean a very personal preference.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most say these sound thin but some say that it just doesn't "exaggerate" the bass. I'm coming from marshmallows. I want to believe that it's balanced but the things are so tiny! I listen to hip-hop but hate overwhelming bass.

This issue with all sorts of Etys comes back every three days or so, go dive the archive
wink.gif

I never listened to the 6i, but the 4S has frightening bass if amped properly and with a good seal. It is deep reaching audible bass though, not visceral bass. Different concept, different appeal. If you want to "feel" the bass, stay away from Etys. I'd say get them from a place with a decent return policy and just listen for yourself.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #9 of 20
I want a pair er4 with an extra bass armature and level control so I turn up the bass driver ONLY when I want to. That would be my ideal IEM.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #10 of 20
ok, bass is about movement, your not really suppose to hear good deep bass, if you can hear bass then its called boom, boom is seen as bad on head fi but for earphones its the only way we can have bass present in music, so by keeping the boom down etymotic claims its more accurate but in reality its just light bass.

one things certain and that is without boom earphones would not produce bass period! the drivers are not big enough to produce enough air movement to create deep bass, if boom is bad then so is bass because we need boom to hear it, and if no boom is heard then where exactly do you hear the bass?

the problem with etymotic phones is they dont really boom and so the lower frequencies are gapped and light and just not really there between 60-150hz, its a big gap that booming earphones manage to fill

vocals on the other hand, be it female or male register best around 3-4khz and this is a strong point of the ety's

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 20
as mentioned before, it lacks the boom. hard to find what you're looking for, but it's one of those earphones you have to really hear for yourself to see if it's for you. With my biflanges and deeply rested in my ears, my er6i's are perfect for me as I'm not a basshead and I'm more about crisp and clarity which er6i's boast.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #13 of 20
I love my marshmallows too but it's time for an upgrade. The only thing keeping me from ety's are lack of bass. I love that punch but too much deep vibrating can ruin everything. Either way, music needs sufficient bass. Balanced sound is ideal.
Everything is leading me to UM1 except sq I've heard is only all around "decent". The sf5 pro is on sale, maybe I should get that (even with the mod, it looks ugly as hell).

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #14 of 20
If one manages to get good seal AND set them on good depth (not too deep nor too far), there is bass. Bass punch is good and all is heardable, but its flat sounding through the frequency response with slight boost on highs which gives Etys a fantastic clarity. The bass is just not strong, it doesnt have pronounced midbass boom to give a sensation of strong bass.

Quote:

ok, bass is about movement, your not really suppose to hear good deep bass, if you can hear bass then its called boom, boom is seen as bad on head fi but for earphones its the only way we can have bass present in music, so by keeping the boom down etymotic claims its more accurate but in reality its just light bass.

What? Bass IS hearable. Even deep regions are hearable, not just feelable. There are flat and light headphones that can play truly very deep regions (like K701), but are IMHO unnaturally basslight (my first gripe on K701) in quantity. You are right that headphones have problems moving enough air, so we have to rely on hearing mostly when judging bass. Some headphones try to cover the fact by pronouncing mid and upper bass to give senstation of strong deep bass easier, while truly deep regions around 50Hz and below MIGHT be lacking depending on quality of headphone

Read the article of headphone bass and overall listening headphones:
HeadWize - Article: Judging Headphones For Accuracy (A HeadWize Headphone Guide)

...or did I miss your point completely?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back