Does the Beyer T70 really have light bass below 200 hz? The freq response chart is showing good bass response.
Apr 6, 2013 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

flargosa

500+ Head-Fier
The freq response chart is showing the T70 have a relatively even bass response compared to the LCD-2 and HD650. Does the Beyer T70 really have light bass below 200 hz as many have commented on?  I'm debating between this and the Mad dog to replace my uncomfortable DT1350.  

graphCompare.php

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
The freq response chart is showing the T70 have a relatively even bass response compared to the LCD-2 and HD650. Does the Beyer T70 really have light bass below 200 hz as many have commented on?  I'm debating between this and the Mad dog to replace my uncomfortable DT1350.  

graphCompare.php

One thing to possibly note is how the T70 is 5-10dB higher than the others at 10KHz which might make it's bass seem less present.

Apr 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 8

And I think this is a perfect example of graphs not being good crystal balls. :xf_eek:

The T70, to me, were completely gone below ~250hz - the MDR-F1 have more bass impact (that's saying something!), and to add insult, they're clashy/piercing up-top, and have fairly cold/dry/lifeless/artificial/etc sounding mids. Really just an awful headphone overall. Comfortable, good isolation, and that's about it; they're massively overpriced for the sound/build quality they offer, and Beyer's CS is (IME) miserable. I'd stay away. :ph34r:

I'm unfamiliar with the 1350, but if you want some suggestions for decently balanced, full-size, closed cans:

- Kenwood KH-K1000
- Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X or A900X
- Denon AH-D2000 (no thoughts/comments on AH-D600)
- Koss MV1 (if you want a bright/punchy sound in a closed headphone (this is what I assume you're after with the T70), these are where I'd point you)

I'd even suggest the AKG K550 (which I found to be fairly ho-hum) over the T70; they feel better in-hand, look better, and are more balanced sounding - they're also easier to drive if you have a portable device. With both the K550 and ATs, fit/seal should be considered - but I'm guessing at least one of them will fit you without much fuss. You might also look at the Koss PRO4/AA, assuming the weight isn't too much of a concern for you - surprisingly well executed full-size cans, assuming you want a full/rich spin on a relatively balanced set of cans (relatively minimal soundstaging capabilities, but what do you expect?).

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm doing research on the headphones.  It is for work so it has to be close and less than $500.  
Quote:
And I think this is a perfect example of graphs not being good crystal balls.
redface.gif

The T70, to me, were completely gone below ~250hz - the MDR-F1 have more bass impact (that's saying something!), and to add insult, they're clashy/piercing up-top, and have fairly cold/dry/lifeless/artificial/etc sounding mids. Really just an awful headphone overall. Comfortable, good isolation, and that's about it; they're massively overpriced for the sound/build quality they offer, and Beyer's CS is (IME) miserable. I'd stay away.
ph34r.gif

I'm unfamiliar with the 1350, but if you want some suggestions for decently balanced, full-size, closed cans:

- Kenwood KH-K1000
- Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X or A900X
- Denon AH-D2000 (no thoughts/comments on AH-D600)
- Koss MV1 (if you want a bright/punchy sound in a closed headphone (this is what I assume you're after with the T70), these are where I'd point you)

I'd even suggest the AKG K550 (which I found to be fairly ho-hum) over the T70; they feel better in-hand, look better, and are more balanced sounding - they're also easier to drive if you have a portable device. With both the K550 and ATs, fit/seal should be considered - but I'm guessing at least one of them will fit you without much fuss. You might also look at the Koss PRO4/AA, assuming the weight isn't too much of a concern for you - surprisingly well executed full-size cans, assuming you want a full/rich spin on a relatively balanced set of cans (relatively minimal soundstaging capabilities, but what do you expect?).

Apr 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah, depending on the type of music that you listen to, the W1000X can be pretty nice not to mention that they can be got quite cheap recently. I think they are not too bad unamped, they can have decent punch depending on amp but don't expect subbass. Can be good for female vocals and pop and people say that it has good soundstage.

Unfortunately I can't comment about the other headphones.

Actually, the D2000 is very nice just as long as you don't find it fatiguing to listen to. It's a bit cold sounding and the midbass can be lacking though the subbass is cool. Its sound signature can make it still sound exciting unamped. It's discontinued so the price might be higher. I think the D2000 soundstaging is quite wide.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 8
Yeah, depending on the type of music that you listen to, the W1000X can be pretty nice not to mention that they can be got quite cheap recently. I think they are not too bad unamped, they can have decent punch depending on amp but don't expect subbass. Can be good for female vocals and pop and people say that it has good soundstage.

Unfortunately I can't comment about the other headphones.

Actually, the D2000 is very nice just as long as you don't find it fatiguing to listen to. It's a bit cold sounding and the midbass can be lacking though the subbass is cool. Its sound signature can make it still sound exciting unamped. It's discontinued so the price might be higher. I think the D2000 soundstaging is quite wide.

+1 on these. The Kenwood are somewhere in the middle of those two; not quite as colored/euphonious as the W1000X, not quite as "straight up" as the D2000. All should be under $500, but you'd probably have to get the D2000 used. :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back