Does such a device exist?
Oct 8, 2009 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Katun

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for a CD player for headphone use only, that has great sound quality and also amps the headphones.

Can anyone list some? I'm not talking huge budget, $200 max. Hopefully around $100.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 9
Look for a used Marantz CD5001. I think the CD5001 was replaced by the CD5003, but you should be able to find a used one around $200.

Another you might want to look for is a used Technics DVD-A10. I picked one up the other week and they also have an onboard headphone amp. A nice benefit is that the DVD-A10 also plays DVD-A discs (why I bought it) in caseyou want to try that format.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the suggestions, but yes, along those lines. Those might just be a tad to much though.

I just want something I can put my CDs in and plug my headphones into that will surpass the SQ of MP3s and also amp the headphones. (I just need something that can decently run a 25 ohm or 300 ohm headphone).

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look for a used Marantz CD5001. I think the CD5001 was replaced by the CD5003, but you should be able to find a used one around $200.

Another you might want to look for is a used Technics DVD-A10. I picked one up the other week and they also have an onboard headphone amp. A nice benefit is that the DVD-A10 also plays DVD-A discs (why I bought it) in caseyou want to try that format.

I can second that Marantz players recommendation as above average (for a entry level amp in comparison and in direct comparison to other CDP's with headphone amps) in terms of SQ through it's headphone output. It's basically the same amp that is used in the Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP which is based on the 5001's predecessor and of which I'm very familiar with since I still have that CDP (although it needs a new transport laser assembly). It's a surprisingly clear, slightly warm and punchy in it's presentation and it can enjoyed for quite some time without fatigue. It's not as good as a mid level amp obviously but it compares well with entry level amps IMO. AKG's may not be a good fit with this little amp, my vintage 600 ohm K240M's certainly aren't. Anything between 25 and 300 ohm should be alright though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennshead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming you're talking about a CD player with a headphone out?? if so, yeah they exist

I knew someone would say that.
tongue.gif

I mean, does something decent exist that has good SQ on a lower budget.

Something along the lines of this: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SCD-CE595...5025930&sr=8-2

...but it must have a headphone jack, as I will only use with headphones.

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean, does something decent exist that has good SQ on a lower budget.

Of course. It's not like CD players with headphone jacks are a super rare/esoteric entity.

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 9
Yeah, this is very common. Lots of them have a jack and a little knob to adjust volume. Hit up the ebay, plenty of Sony, Marantz, Pioneer, and so on to choose from. From there it's a pretty easy path to an amp/dac when you're ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back