Does RKV hiss?
Jun 29, 2002 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
(In the spirit of zzz's "Does EAR hiss?" thread, comes this one...)

When I received my RKV from Vertigo, I immediately plugged in the AT W2002 headphone and the hiss was grating. With the HD600, the hiss was still audible at low levels and between passages but worth tolerating because the amp sounded so damned good with the HD600 otherwise.

As some of your know, the power in my apartment complex took the RKV out. As a result, I purchased the Brick Wall that Jude recommended and Jude gave me this nifty custom title.

I had to ship the RKV off to AudioValve in Germany to have it repaired as I lacked the expertise. When the amp came back, I plugged in my HD600 again and there was no hiss. At maximum volume with nothing playing, there was no hiss. I plugged in the Etymotic ER-4P and there was no hiss. At maximum volume with the sensitive ER-4P, I finally found the hiss. HMMM. I now listen using the ER-4S (thanks, Fixup) and HD600 and have no issues with hiss.

Wondering what other people's experience have been with this amplifier using different headphones.

Jun 29, 2002 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't know...I mean...there aren't many here with RKV's. Best bet would be to look around on some german audiophile forums that would be likely to mention tube headphone amps.

Jun 29, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
I don't know...I mean...there aren't many here with RKV's. Best bet would be to look around on some german audiophile forums that would be likely to mention tube headphone amps.

Man, I'd love to do that. Any idea where I could look?

Mostly I was just looking for peopel to reply who have heard acidtrip's or Dusty's with various headphones. Dusty usually uses high impedance cans on so *shrug*.

Jul 1, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 7
Mine did have some hiss before I connected the Virtual Dynamics 3 power cord. Things seem quieter now. I have the power cord going to a BPT Jr. and am using the AZ Silver Reference ICs. Things are sounding damn good these days.
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 7
I can hear my computer through my melos at max volume. Probably the power supply fan or something. I could hear my monitor too until I switched the outlet it's plugged into. Very weird stuff.

Actually, I can hear RF in their also, I think. Sounds like the probe droid transmissions on star wars. Scratch that... I'm hearing it all because of the friggin dio.... The Melos itself is quiet as a mouse. Or quieter, a dead mouse maybe???

Fucn dio...

Well it IS the dio, and the dio actually makes a high pitched squeeling noise that sound kind of like a hair dryer behind a thick wall or something. But only when it's set to 88.2. When it's set to ext sync no squeeling just your average bit of hiss at max volume.
Lots of hiss on 44.1

less hiss on 48/96

Not to hijack your thread but could be other sources of hiss coming through. Esp if you use a dio, at least if you use a dio in this dang house, friggin electricians nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back