Does Keeping Left and Right Cables on "Correct Sides" Effect SQ on Your Headphones?
May 3, 2007 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

stereophile

Head-Fier
Does Left and Right Matter on Your Headphones?

I've seen some posters on here claim it doesn't, even Sponsors (Vibes) posting that they can't tell a difference when L-R is reversed.

I've always thought it DOES matter big time, and agree more with posts along the lines like the one I quote (below).

Do you get a different listening experience if you reverse cables or sides of the headphones?

What is your opinion? Does keeping left and right sides of your headphones "correct" effect the SQ or overall auditory experience? (let's put "correct fit of headphone/iem issue" aside for the moment -- yes that can definitely matter and thus affect SQ -- I'm talking about pure "electronic/aural" SQ here, putting aside ergonomic fit, etc, designed into the unit - which may effect SQ bigtime in its own way.)

Any comments or helpful links greatly appreciated.

Quote:

This [L-R]reversal completely destroys the soundstage (imho); and completely destroys the great characteristic . . that allow my music to move from L to R & vice-versa, across the aural stage, (many of my tracks have movements like this).

I'm a believer that L and R do matter in stereo equipment. Otherwise, why bother to mark any stereo equipment L and R? Jazz ensembles, classical, etc, particular instruments usually come from the left, right, center, left-center, etc, and this mod destroys that. Also, on a more subtle level some musicians actually try to record music so when played on high-end equipment, you can for example hear one instrument moving from left to right, while simultaneously hearing another instrument or sound moving the opposite way. This mod reverses all that, sends the sounds to opposite sides of the brain, etc. Art side vs logic side, and all that.

May 3, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if the headphones are symetrical, then there is no difference. but most headphones are designed to only go one way.

...What?
blink.gif

May 3, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 51
To those of you of the opinion that it doesn't matter -- What about music that is recorded so that you can feel the sound "moving" from left to right (and vice-versa) across the stage? The fact that movement is reversed makes no difference to you?

I guess I subscribe to the idea that the left and right sides of our brains are different, so if you reverse L and R like this, it isn't going to create the same experience in your brain.

Its not even going to be a mirror image -- because you'll have sound interfacing with your brain from the opposite direction, but our brains aren't "symmetrical" in their translation of audio stimuli coming from each side.

It will be a different experience.

May 3, 2007 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 51
That's just misguided thinking that which ear you hear a sound in has anything to do with which side of your brain you are using to listen
rolleyes.gif

The only thing that will change if you reverse the headphones is the direction which the sounds seem to be coming from. It sounds exactly the same as long as your ears are decibel matched
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

May 3, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #7 of 51
According to some scientificish magazine (I think it was Scientific American; so it *must* be true!), different ears do differ in.. ermm.. someway (think it was one is better for amplitude, other frequency - I am quite probably wrong).

If this is the case, some music may sound *better* reversed! But most music is probably (unconsciously) recorded so that it is matched best to different ears - it will simply sound better for the mixer/musician/etc.

EDIT: Found http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?art...D683414B7F4945 - don't think it's what I read, though.

May 3, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #8 of 51
Oh and to the comment that it doesn't matter which direction the sounds are moving from/to:

I wasn't there in the studio when it was recorded, so how do I know that the way it was mastered is the "correct" way? How am I supposed to "know" that an instrument is supposed to be on the left/right?

The only reason why I would care if it was switched, is if it's a recording that I know very well and have gotten used to hearing it one way.

May 3, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 51
as far as being a purist, in terms of listening to music the way it is intended to be listened to then yes. or actually no, because music is usually mastered for playback on speakers so really you should put down those cans and listen to it properly.
im not being totally serious of course, but i don't think it really matters. as with most things like this, you 'should' wear them the correct way round, but it doesn't really matter. ymmv too.

May 3, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 51
Um, I didn't realise this issue was even up for debate. It's clear that reversing the L/R channels reverses the stereo image, i.e., forward becomes rear, left becomes right etc. The only issue is whether the engineer who recorded it had the L/R set correctly, which they usually do, being engineers.

If you can't tell the difference between having the phones on the right way and the phones reversed, then there are serious issues somewhere in your hardware chain.

May 3, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, I didn't realise this issue was even up for debate. It's clear that reversing the L/R channels reverses the stereo image, i.e., forward becomes rear, left becomes right etc. The only issue is whether the engineer who recorded it had the L/R set correctly, which they usually do, being engineers.

If you can't tell the difference between having the phones on the right way and the phones reversed, then there are serious issues somewhere in your hardware chain.

You do know that stereo means left and right and that there's no such thing as front and rear right? (ESPECIALLY in headphones)

And most of the recording we listen to aren't recorded in stereo anyway
What they do is they pan channels to left and/or right, or a mix of it.. therefore reversing it wouldn't make music less enjoyable in any way

EDIT: of course, except if you know the recording very well and anal about these things

EDIT2: when things are moving from left to right, it simply means that the left channel is lowered in volume while the right channel is increased in volume

May 3, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 51
Yes it matters because my left ear hears differently than my right ear. That is I have something wrong with my left ear. I don't think theres anything different if you have good/normal hearing.

May 3, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #15 of 51
I never really thought about it. I just always use my headphones in the correct way, and I will continue to do so because I listen to classical music. Orchestras have a certain arrangement with violins left etc. which should come out of your headphones correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back