Does Internal Recharger on the Hornet Effect Sound Quality?
Mar 31, 2006 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tiffythomas

New Head-Fier
I'm torn between the Portaphile V2^2 and the Hornet to drive my Shure E5C and eventually E500 headphones. I don't think I can go wrong with either amp. With the plug, the portaphile is about $75 dollars less than the Hornet. The Hornet on the other hand has an internal battery charger. I really like this feature, but have heard elsewhere that internal battery chargers can effect sound quality. Does the internal charger of the hornet effect the sound quality? Does any have a recommendation of one over the other. As an asside...I can't figure out where the on/off switch on the Hornet is. Do you just turn volume know clockwise to turn in off and clockwise to turn it on? I really look forward to the portable amp lovers out there to have me make a decision
k1000smile.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 6
I asked that question of Ray right before the Hornet's launch. He said that playing while charging did not affect sound quality, as far as I can recall. As to the power switch, it's the illuminated (internal LED) toggle just to the right of the volume knob.

If you can afford it, get the Hornet. It's an amazing piece of gear.

Apr 1, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 6
That red thingie right there...

DSC_0002.jpg

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 6
It sounds fine on wall power.

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 6
I have both and yes you can listen with the plug in on hornet and it sounds perfect.

They are both great and hornet is a tad brighter. It is convenient to be able to plug in the hornet and have it recharge as you are listening. other than that both are fairly equal in quality but with different sound signatures. To my ears the portaphile was not as bright which I actually enjoy a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back