does anyone still love their ps1000?
Jul 8, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #256 of 292

pcf

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 12, 2007
Posts
1,784
Likes
39


Quote:
had listened ps1 once before; the only dynamic headphone that can compete with r10

Where should we place PS1000 then? I don't think they are inferior to PS1.
 
 
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #257 of 292

customcoco

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 27, 2011
Posts
1,682
Likes
84


Quote:
Where should we place PS1000 then? I don't think they are inferior to PS1.
 
 


how would YOU rank the ps1000 against the ps1?
 
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #258 of 292

pcf

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 12, 2007
Posts
1,784
Likes
39


Quote:
how would YOU rank the ps1000 against the ps1?
 

They are on the same level  with different sound signature overall but share the same rich midrange.
 
 
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #259 of 292

Alghazanth

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Posts
1,516
Likes
31
 


Quote:
had listened ps1 once before; the only dynamic headphone that can compete with r10



Let's see here. The PS1000 are supposedly as good or better than the PS1 from what I've read, and several trustworthy people I've talked to here put many other dynamic flagships above the PS1000. As such, you're effectively saying the T1, HD800, etc compete with the R10.
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #260 of 292

pcf

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 12, 2007
Posts
1,784
Likes
39


Quote:
 




Let's see here. The PS1000 are supposedly as good or better than the PS1 from what I've read, and several trustworthy people I've talked to here put many other dynamic flagships above the PS1000. As such, you're effectively saying the T1, HD800, etc compete with the R10.

Let's not go there, it will only derail the thread. They are all just different opinions. Most people put all other flagships (dynamic or not) above PS1000. It seems to be okay if you say PS1 are one of the best dynamics (several members here did), Try that with PS1000? You are likely to get hammered. It is a bit like saying if you don't like LCD2.
I own both PS1 and PS1000 and can't honestly say PS1 is the clear winner here. I have no reason to take side.
 
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #261 of 292

bumblingbooby

AKA: MrSpenkalink
Joined
Feb 28, 2011
Posts
214
Likes
13
Too late pcf! 
wink.gif

 
My opinion might not be as trustworthy as some Alghazanth, but I had to trust my own ears in the end because they're the only ones I've got. They preferred the PS1000 to the HD800, LCD-2 and T1. That doesn't mean that I think it is objectively better, but I do think that it is worthy of flagship status alongside them. With the exception of the T1, which I didn't like, I could see myself living with the other two.  
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #262 of 292

bumblingbooby

AKA: MrSpenkalink
Joined
Feb 28, 2011
Posts
214
Likes
13
pcf, I see that you own both the Stax SR-007 and SR-507. I envy you. Sadly, I've not heard the former but I have spent time with the latter. Would we be straying too far off topic if I asked how you find the SR-507 compares to the PS1000, and whether you have a preference? We could compare notes via PM if you think it more appropriate.
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #263 of 292

563

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 16, 2009
Posts
558
Likes
17
you know, i must be strange, as i really like my hd800 also - it really depends on my mood, and i guess, too, on the type of music i'm listening to - but it's been a while since i've listened with my senns.  time to do so again, i thiink :wink:
 
i have to give a listen to the ps-1 one of these days.  too bad i wasn't into headphones back when they were still on sale (albeit to the german market)....
 
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #264 of 292

bumblingbooby

AKA: MrSpenkalink
Joined
Feb 28, 2011
Posts
214
Likes
13
No, not at all. As Priest said earlier in this thread: "Also parted with the HD800, although I acknowledge its greatness." I can understand why the HD800 is so highly regarded. It's a remarkable headphone. I've felt that the LCD-2 would be a great complement to the HD800. I'd be happy to own them both along with the PS1000, but can't justify such an investment in uber headphones.  
 
Jul 8, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #265 of 292

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Posts
3,823
Likes
198
i have headphones like he90,r10,010,o2 etc. the ps1000 is a flagship in my feeling. it is just different. they are all different. if they were all the same there would only be one flagship headphone i think. indeed, many people hate the ps1000 and think it is not worth $50. just get the phones you like best or can afford. this thread was about people who have had the ps1000 for a long time and still love them.
i will probably never regret buying them. i have an early pair so i have had them for some time. regardless of how i like the sound i am glad i have the older ones. the chrome might have been a deal breaker.
i am guessing mr. grado knows what he is doing and will sell the new ones.

as for my caps, darwin.....i am hoping english is your second language. i mean no harm but you know about glass houses.
 
Jul 9, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #267 of 292

stokitw

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Posts
332
Likes
10
It really depends on the system.
 
The story goes like this:
Grado phones are 32 ohm and easy to get acceptable quality.
So people can easily get into the game with lower tier Grado phones,
After a while, when people want to try phones from the other brand typically with higher ohms, they take the wisdom "you have to use amp" in mind and build their systems around higher ohms phones.
As they get to higher level, their system are even more tilt to fit for 300 ohms, 600 ohms phones.
People start to assume that their systems are beasts, their system must handle Grado much better than simple (or someone would say crappy) amp like RA-1 does.
It's not the case.....
 
The truth is, few people build their systems with low ohm phones in mind.
If you test HD800, T1 or other high ohm flagships on a system fits low ohm phones, you may not find them even comparable to PS-1000.
Using M902, HD800 and T1 are just par with GS-1000, and PS-1000 has significant improvement over GS-1000.
I won't jump into the conclusion that PS-1000 is definitely better than HD800 or T1, since I did audit HD800 and T1 on other systems and find good results.
Given that I'm still second guessing of upgrading to PS-1000 (GS-1000 is so light and comfortable, and I wish PS-1000 can be $1,200...), I have a even tougher time to justify the cost of rebuilding the whole system for phones like HD800 or T1.
 
It's just simply the fact that people typically don't have that much money to build multiple systems to fit corresponding phones...........
 
 
 
Quote:
 




Let's see here. The PS1000 are supposedly as good or better than the PS1 from what I've read, and several trustworthy people I've talked to here put many other dynamic flagships above the PS1000. As such, you're effectively saying the T1, HD800, etc compete with the R10.



 
 
Jul 9, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #268 of 292

pcf

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 12, 2007
Posts
1,784
Likes
39


Quote:
pcf, I see that you own both the Stax SR-007 and SR-507. I envy you. Sadly, I've not heard the former but I have spent time with the latter. Would we be straying too far off topic if I asked how you find the SR-507 compares to the PS1000, and whether you have a preference? We could compare notes via PM if you think it more appropriate.

HI there, it is not a bad question at all.
I would like to give you a proper answer other than "A" is better than "B". Most of my phones are being shipped from California to London at the moment. They won' be here until August (yes, it takes that long with the rest of my house content). I like to spend time compare them properly when the time comes.
From memory, I can only say that they are different, like comparing Martin Logan to other speakers.
More to come...
 
* In a way maybe it is good that I don't have the Stax with me so I have a reason to not say the Grado is better or vice versa. Imagine the reaction we will get?
wink.gif

 
 
 
Jul 9, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #269 of 292

563

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 16, 2009
Posts
558
Likes
17
hee hee - i just googled laurence sterne - i guess you're referring to "progressive digressions?"  yeah, the conversation seems to meander a little bit, but i think it's still kinda on topic.   that is one heckuva sweet collection you have music_man.  
i agree with you - i probably wouldn't have gone for the new chrome ps1000 - looks kinda cheesy.  i wonder if the sound is the same (assuming each part of the can makes a sonic difference) as our older models?
 
stokitw: well, i haven't seen the ps1000 new for 1200, but i know that you can probably get 'em new from an authorized dealer for around 1350 or so, if you look and bargain hard enough.  they typically won't publicize this fact, but don't worry about paying the full 1695.  i bet you could knock the price down to closer to 1200 (or a little higher) if you really wanted to.   
 
Jul 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #270 of 292

purrin

aka Marvey, purr1n
Member of the Trade: Eddie Current
Joined
Aug 2, 2008
Posts
5,408
Likes
1,300


Quote:
It really depends on the system.
 
The story goes like this:
Grado phones are 32 ohm and easy to get acceptable quality.
So people can easily get into the game with lower tier Grado phones,
After a while, when people want to try phones from the other brand typically with higher ohms, they take the wisdom "you have to use amp" in mind and build their systems around higher ohms phones.
As they get to higher level, their system are even more tilt to fit for 300 ohms, 600 ohms phones....
 
It's just simply the fact that people typically don't have that much money to build multiple systems to fit corresponding phones...........

 
It's quite possible to build a setup that works well for both high-impedance (HD800) and low-impedance (PS1000) headphones. I thought the PS1000, GS1000, and HD800s sounded great from the Melos (with that amp's warts and all). I regret selling my PS1000 because I think the BA would have served them well, especially with a careful selection of tubes. But still, you're right: it ultimately comes to money.
 
Quote:
... HI there, it is not a bad question at all.
I would like to give you a proper answer other than "A" is better than "B". Most of my phones are being shipped from California to London at the moment. They won' be here until August (yes, it takes that long with the rest of my house content). I like to spend time compare them properly when the time comes.
From memory, I can only say that they are different, like comparing Martin Logan to other speakers.
 


Agreed. The SR507s and PS1000s really can't be compared because they are such different beasts. But I'll take a shot at it anyways: Obviously the SR507 wins in transient response. The SR507 are overall brightly tilted. Bass on SR507 extends a bit lower than PS1000 with a less of a mid-bass hump. SR507 has slightly blacker background, PS1000 is much better at low-level information retrieval and dynamics. PS1000 has warmer mids. SR507 is lean in the mids, particularly the lower mids, which is the dealbreaker that makes me like the PS1000 better.
 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top