Does anyone primarily use a turntable in there headphone rig??
Apr 1, 2004 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

meech

500+ Head-Fier
Just curious if any of you vinyl junkies actuallyhave a TT based headphone rig.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 18
i've switched over and am just on the look out for a decent phono stage/table/cartridge to replace my relatively lo-fi setup. as it is, i still love it, although i find myself struggling to get the records as clean as possible as i find the pops more audible and distracting than in my speaker setup. i'll probably invest in a good record washer once everything else is in place.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 18
i use my Pro-ject 6.1 about as much as i use my cdp.

mainly when i want to focus on music and nothing else i'll go to my TT. Otherwise, when i'm studying, it can be a pain in the ***** to get up and flip the durn thing over ever 20 minutes (ok i'm a lazy bum, sue me
biggrin.gif
)

TT's are great, i get a much more "alive" feel to the music for some reason, i don't have any scientific reason, just my ears
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 18
Not primarily, but I do use one.

tmp1.jpg

No speakers, just headphones.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 18
sleepkyng:
It may sound more alive because of the effects of digital filters & oversampling in digital sources. I've switched to a Scott Nixon TubeDAC, and the gap between that and my analog rig has narrowed significantly.

For a couple months before that came, I listened almost exclusively to vinyl though. It's a wonderful thing.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 18
The TT is my main source. When I have a choice I usually go for loudspeakers, but I often listen at night with headphones.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 18
Considering TT is a good source for headphone listening, does anybody know any CDP system with almost like vinyl sound? Will we have vinyl sound from CDP by adding special gear such as dACK? I read that dACK use on oversampling which will create vinyl like effect from CD playback.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 18
my cd combo uses a modded art dio and it's not necessarily a harsh or digital sound... i dunno, i don't have the vocabulary to really say how i feel about it.

I think that the psychological appeal of the TT is great too. call me vain, but i freakin love watching that obsidian disk spinning round! Something about the whole manual process of turning it on, lifting the tone arm and then lowering it is so great.

i really love both my setups to be honest.
now, time for a better phono stage and cartridge
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 18
Most of my listening is done thru vinly rig. In part, coz I am still shopping for a decent CDP. Might go for the G08 soon, but then again... for the $ vinyl seems to provide the better bang for the buck.

In the meantime, I love the analog sound. XR-2 improved things considerably. Stealth is in the MAIL!

While generally the extra effort involved in vinyl is minor and not a concern certainly worth it for the audio enjoyment, there are times when inconvenience of cleaning, flipping LPs, etc... would prefer the quick/convenience of a CDP. Plus have alot of CDs tunes that only listen to on my iHP(lossless) now, that would like to get a similar level of quality audio as my vinyl rig.

Finding good records is not hard but do get a few poor ones, along the way, usually used. Just trade them back in, cost generally lower.

Highly recommend folks to also consider vinyl even an entry level rig, like a technics, can deliver alot of the magic.

Apr 1, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepkyng
i use my Pro-ject 6.1

A Pro-ject 6 is in the audio shop window up the street from me and I keep fogging up the window every morning on my way to work as I ask myself, "should I? should I?"

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 18
eyeteeth,
imo, i think they are fantastic TT's for the price. They are so easy to use and setup compared to some "mid to high" end TT's.
is it a 6.1, 6 or 6.9?

they're all good, the 6.1 was replaced by the 6.9 iirc.

i got mine for 250 bucks in perfect condition!

plus, they're sleek as hell, the only problem with mine is the crappy dust cover, it doesn't even enclose the whole TT!!!

oh well!

should you? should you? YES!!!

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 18
Matt (from this forums) uses a MMF-5, KGSS, Omega-2 and some Pre-Amp (forgot the name) and this is his ONLY rig AFAIK...

Of course - with gear like that you dont need two rigs
very_evil_smiley.gif

He does have a CD Player (ROTEL something) but im pretty sure digita sources dont invade his sanctum on a regular basis...

Apr 1, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by daffa
Considering TT is a good source for headphone listening, does anybody know any CDP system with almost like vinyl sound? Will we have vinyl sound from CDP by adding special gear such as dACK? I read that dACK use on oversampling which will create vinyl like effect from CD playback.

I've been pretty happy with my Meridian 508 & heavy CD tweaking lately. I've got the source sitting on my rack followed by blu tack followed by a maple butcher block followed by Aurios 1.0 MIB & Tungsten ball kit. It's also outfitted with an AZ Tsunami Plus Power cord.

As for cd tweaks I've been blackening the outer edge of discs, treating with Mikro smooth and then giving a final polishing with gruv glide. Then I'll put on either a statmat CDi Blue or Herbies Grundgebuster.

It sounds considerably less digital then any other CDP I've used. Sexy as hell midrange, very detailed top end, killer bass, and SMOOOTH. Best yet, theres no surface noise
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'll let you know how it fairs against my vpi scout once I recieve my phonostage next week.

Apr 1, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #15 of 18
VPI SCOUT! DROOL!

eyeteeth- klee rules! saw some of his stuff at the MET two weeks ago.

That project is spendy, but damn sexy!

get a used TT online, well, at least it worked out ok for me, Gopher has had soem problems iirc!

if you just want to test the waters, get an old ar-xa or technics 1200

or maybe even the entry level Pro-jects and Music Halls

they run about 250 usd!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back