does anyone prefer white text on a black background...
Jan 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Al4x

Headphoneus Supremus
...to the standard way

i have no idea if this is unusual but i prefer to have the text light and the backgroung dark, for me its much easier on the eyes, i have set my ff browser so its menus, toolbars etc are like this,

i am looking for a way to do it inn office '07 too

anyone else prefer this?

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 17
Yes, I also prefer a dark background (black) against a lighter colored text like grey or orange-ish yellow. I try to stay away from white as it is pretty hot especially since I often read ebooks at night. However, other than ebook readers, I haven't customized any applications or OS color scheme this way.

If you find a way to inverse the color scheme in Office, please share.

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 17
I prefer greyscale (black and white) displays when I'm trying to concentrate, but green text on black isn't bad.

If anyone's interested, there's an option in OS X for white text on black in the Universal Access control panel, along with a greyscale option (you can also use them together). Applies everywhere, so it covers Office too. There's also a really nice program called Nocturne that lets you create variations of this, for instance make all text green on black, or red on black to preserve night vision. You can have the ambient light sensor switch to these modes automatically.

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 17
Tip for Mac OS X users.
Press and hold "Command", "Option" and "Ctrl", then press "8". Its just like magic.
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 17
You could try:

left ALT + left SHIFT + PRINT SCREEN

and see if you like it. (Press again to deactivate it.) You'll have to play around with the font sizes in Display Properties though because this shortcut increases text size as well. This is for XP. I'm not sure about Vista, but you could do a search for "high contrast desktop for visually impaired."

I just checked and it will make the white on black background in Office 2007.

Hope this helps.

Be sure to save your current theme as when the high contrast desktop is deactivated, some things (font types, icon background color, etc.) may not return to their previous setting.

Jan 9, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know how to do something similar on windows
frown.gif

I think windows comes with some themes like that but they are very basic.

Go To DISPLAY PROPERTIES and switch WINDOWS AND BUTTONS to Windows Classic Style.

Under COLOR SCHEME look for anything saying "High Contrast", there are about 3 of them.

This is for XP, im sure Vista is a little different but you get the idea.

Jan 9, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
Tip for Mac OS X users.
Press and hold "Command", "Option" and "Ctrl", then press "8". Its just like magic.

Excellent! Thanks. Sometimes I'll check in here in the middle of the night in a darkened room and this will be much easier on the eyes.

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent! Thanks. Sometimes I'll check in here in the middle of the night in a darkened room and this will be much easier on the eyes.

If you have a Mac with an ambient light sensor, give Nocturne a try:
nocturne:nocturne [docs]
It'll do this switching automatically for you. (Among other nice things.)

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 17
I prefer a darker background and a lighter text- but not to the extremes (black & white).

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a Mac with an ambient light sensor, give Nocturne a try:
nocturne:nocturne [docs]
It'll do this switching automatically for you. (Among other nice things.)

Cool! Did not know about this one...
Checking out.
smile.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 17
Like AutoCAD? While I do think white on black is easier to work with (easier on the eyes) I feel like black on white still seems to have a much cleaner and simpler look to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back