Does anyone own the Wyred4sound DAC 2?
Jun 16, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #1,156 of 1,409
Quote:

Thank you.  That's what I thought too.  

Question again for those using USB input, do you have the level as fixed or variable? 

I use the USB input and run it fixed mode, which basically plays it at the maximum level (which you can customize, I think).

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #1,158 of 1,409
rolleyes.gif
 This could take a while. I had new caps installed and had to do 300+ strong hours, before the shoe box got itself right!

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #1,159 of 1,409
rolleyes.gif
 This could take a while. I had new caps installed and had to do 300+ strong hours, before the shoe box got itself right!

Yeah, and unfortunately for me I cannot just leave it on the entire time as I leave for work most of the day. So the real burn-in process only happens overnight. Are there disadvantages of doing the burn-in process not continuously?

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #1,160 of 1,409
Quote:

Yeah, and unfortunately for me I cannot just leave it on the entire time as I leave for work most of the day. So the real burn-in process only happens overnight. Are there disadvantages of doing the burn-in process not continuously?

Personally, in my view, I'd rather have interruptions. Thus, allowing different parts to heat up and cool down during normal operation. I prefer to just play my way through and note the experience. As opposed to running it 24/7.

However, I see no disadvantage to using it like it was intended. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #1,161 of 1,409

Personally, in my view, I'd rather have interruptions. Thus, allowing different parts to heat up and cool down during normal operation. I prefer to just play my way through and note the experience. As opposed to running it 24/7.

However, I see no disadvantage to using it like it was intended. 

Thank you. Very helpful. This is a truly nice DAC.

Jun 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #1,162 of 1,409
Quote:
Isn't DSD a dead format like SACD?

Did you have a marantz sa8004 before? i thought i saw it in your profile not too long ago but maybe i am mistaken. i ask because i have a chance to buy the sa7001 for 225 euro which is a steal. im on the fench as to whether i should go for it or not. even if i was not playing sacd it would still be a good source right?

Jun 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,163 of 1,409
Quote:
Isn't DSD a dead format like SACD?

DSD is an encoding, not a format. SACD is a physical format that uses DSD encoding. Traditionally, music is encoded using PCM (CDs, mp3s, flacs, etc). It is claimed that DSD to analog conversion sounds better than PCM to analog (I have not had a chance to listen via a DSD capable DAC). That's why DSD capable DACs have started showing up. There are tools to convert PCM files to DSD. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,164 of 1,409
Ultimately, the upgrades to the power supply and the USB are more interesting to me than the DSD capabilities...

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #1,166 of 1,409
Quote:
DSD is an encoding, not a format. SACD is a physical format that uses DSD encoding. Traditionally, music is encoded using PCM (CDs, mp3s, flacs, etc). It is claimed that DSD to analog conversion sounds better than PCM to analog (I have not had a chance to listen via a DSD capable DAC). That's why DSD capable DACs have started showing up. There are tools to convert PCM files to DSD. 

What are these tools other than the PS3?

Jun 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,167 of 1,409
The role of the PS3 is to extract the DSD files from the SACD disc. Not convert PCM to DSD. Which moves me to ask 
confused.gif
 what would be the motivation to convert PCM to DSD? 

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #1,169 of 1,409
Could very well be a sound reason why someone would want to (no pun intended). And if so, I want some of that action, too! 
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,170 of 1,409
Just got my DAC2 fully upgraded and have it running in a temporary system with a Parasound Z-amp and Totem speakers on my desktop. Sounds really, really good via USB from a Macbook Pro with Audivana.

Agreed that DSD isn't of much interest. I got burned a while back upgrading to an expensive Arcam universal disk player and then ending up with less than 20 SACDs I liked... Once bitten, twice shy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back