Does Anyone Like the Ultrasone Pro 900?
Oct 18, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 24
I was able to hear the 900's recently, and I thought they were bass heavy. The bass that was there was very good and clean, but it seemed a bit out of proportion. This is coming from a regular Edition 9 user. (I've never heard the 750 or 2500.)

If I was a crazy basshead -- and I think I probably was when I started in this hobby -- I would go for these phones if I could stomach the asking price. But today, I don't think I would go for them. I love my bass, but it needs to be more balanced for me these days.

Otherwise, I got the feeling that they were very much quality phones... although perhaps not $600 quality phones.

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And, if so, care to share on how they compare to the Proline 750 or 2500?

Thanks.

I recently received the 900s, however, I have never heard the 750 or 2500 or any Ultrasone for that matter. After extensive reading on Ultrasones altogether, I got the impression that people either love them or they don't care for them- no middle ground..IMO

I hesitated a bit, but went ahead and bought the 900, so I could see for myself.....

As thread put it- bass heavy but good and clean. The detail is very nice even with the bass and yes sometimes it seems out of place (proportion), but at the same time not boomy. It's a bit difficult to explain and has a signature all it's own. Soundstage is very good. Plugged them in with tubes briefly, but the sound was a bit too warm right now. I'm sure they will open up eventually. IMO SS is the way to go to compensate for the lows.

Listening now with my portable (go vibe petite) and the bass is still there but a bit less pronounced.

I now understand the "love'em or hate'em" mindset- Thay have a unique flavor to them.

I believe in "burn-in", especially with phones, to shape and tighten up the sound, however, I also believe that "burn-in" will not altogether change the signature of the phone.

When it comes to the 900s and the original question- Do I like them?
Yes, very much so. It is an engaging sound that I welcome, that will get better and better IMHO...

Oct 18, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 24
i'm surprised at all these complaints about too much bass. it's so easy to lessen/tighten..it literally takes 2-3 minutes. you need the right-sized screwdriver and 1 cotton ball. take out the driver/metal board (driver+metal board are attached to each other, so it's really easy) by unscrewing 4 tiny screws, rip the ball in half, spread it out and stuff it evenly into the driver enclosure (behind the driver/metal board). screw the driver/metal board back on. voila.

works wonders for the pro2500/900/750/650. totally reversible, costs nothing, quick, safe and easy.

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 24
Thanks Shahrose for the mod, but I'm liking them as is. I am really enjoying these phones.

I have thrown at them different genres to see what they have and they don't disappoint.

Rock- Zep -Presence, Disturbed- Indestructible, Floyd- Pulse and Rush- ...Stages sound excellent.
Trance- Ibiza Euphoria (Matt Darey) Vol. 1 CD1 and for my hip-hop fix 2Pac's Greatest Hits....

The biggest surprise has been The Cure (big fan)- I can't believe how good they sound. Lullaby has never sounded better. Period...The bass line in the backround with Rob's vocals just sound amazing, like you are right there. The sig is just a perfect match for them...

I am really liking these Ultrasone 900s, maybe I'll get their cousin the 2500s to have an open variety. I don't like that paint issue they were having, though...

For now the 900s have been a sound purchase for me....no regrets whatsoever....

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 24
HD650 is more up front?!!??! Holy crap these things must be the new definition of dark/laid-back...the line 'Ultrasone is the new Sennheiser' fits for all the wrong reasons.

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 24
On the money...laid back, but wide.....warm and mellow but with great sound... would compare them more to the D5000s which I love, but less lush....Now that's confusing..
biggrin.gif

It has its unique sound...

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 24
You know, it kind of sounds like if one likes the sound of the 2500's or the 9's, these cans might not quite be to their liking. Seems kind of strange for Ultrasone to come up with a headphone that lies between the 2500 and the 9, and yet have such a drastically different sound signature.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Shahrose for the mod, but I'm liking them as is. I am really enjoying these phones.

I have thrown at them different genres to see what they have and they don't disappoint.

Rock- Zep -Presence, Disturbed- Indestructible, Floyd- Pulse and Rush- ...Stages sound excellent.
Trance- Ibiza Euphoria (Matt Darey) Vol. 1 CD1 and for my hip-hop fix 2Pac's Greatest Hits....

The biggest surprise has been The Cure (big fan)- I can't believe how good they sound. Lullaby has never sounded better. Period...The bass line in the backround with Rob's vocals just sound amazing, like you are right there. The sig is just a perfect match for them...

I am really liking these Ultrasone 900s, maybe I'll get their cousin the 2500s to have an open variety. I don't like that paint issue they were having, though...

For now the 900s have been a sound purchase for me....no regrets whatsoever....

Hello there, I'm glad you like them. However I would advice against the PRO 2500 and instead either get a PRO 750 or Edition 9. Yes they're both closed, but I'm pretty sure the 2500 would dissappoint you (just make sure you test them first at a specialized shop). 'n Yes I have a 2500...

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello there, I'm glad you like them. However I would advice against the PRO 2500 and instead either get a PRO 750 or Edition 9. Yes they're both closed, but I'm pretty sure the 2500 would dissappoint you (just make sure you test them first at a specialized shop). 'n Yes I have a 2500...

Thanks Gladstone

The more I read on the 2500s, the more apprehensive I get about purchasing them. I figured they're open so that's what had me interested, but I believe I'll hold off.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #13 of 24
My Pro 900 just arrived. Still breaking in, funny how I did not notice the overbearing bass reported by many early adopters of these cans. Makes me wonder if Ultrasone made any changes since the earlier batches of production...

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 24
Hi Kool bubba ice

Welcome to the ultra camp. I too have a DT48e coming in a few weeks, being re-cabled. It would be interesting to see how it fare against the Pro 900....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back