Does Anyone Here Have an E3 or er6i to compare with ep630?
Mar 14, 2006 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Where does the ep630 stand in sound character. Bass, treble, midrange... compared to either the shure or the etys. Whichever one you guys have. I was really planning on getting the upcoming shure e500s but thought i needed to get something cheap that would be decent to make sure I am compatible with IEMs first. I don't want to spend $500 to find out that I hate these critters(IEMs in general).

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 9
If you're thinking about the e500's, perhaps some Shures (E3's or E4's) would be a better reference point than the non-isolating Creatives. You might like the Creatives, but they could be different enough in form, fit and function that they might not be ideal for purposes of comparison.

I have Shure E3C's and Etymotics Er-6's, and I have a pair of the Creatives on order (shipped today from Amazon). If the thread is still alive in a couple of weeks, I can offer some general, not-very-technical comments comparing/contrasting them. However, there are probably more than a few people who will weigh in before that time.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 9
The creatives are supposed to isolate less than the shures but still ishould isolate much more than my 555s. So you are saying that trying the ep630 is insignificant if I just want to get a feel for IEMs then. Problem is, the only other way I can try shures or etys is to buy them myself. OOOH thats too much. It will bump up my e500 to almost $700
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 9
Well, it's not a straight apples-to-apples comparison.

You're right about isolating more than open headphones -- the Creative canal phones shouldn't leak sound out (unless you're playing music at ear-bleeding levels), and they will do a pretty good job of blocking out sound from outside. But based on fit and the type of tips used, the Shures, and certainly Etymotics, for example, would block out more outside sound, even to the extent of potentially serving as ear plugs without the volume turned on.

The best getting the Creatives would do in your case (in addition to providing a fun way to listen to music in semi-isolation) would be to let you determine whether you absolutely couldn't stand having anything in your ears ... if you don't like basic canal phones in your ears, you probably won't like the more expensive, fit-sensitive isolating ones. And liking the canal phones would be a good sign, but not definite proof that you would like the e500's.

Most lower-end canal phones use a very soft silicone tip that "scrunches" into the ear without much effort -- fit is important to the sound, but total isolation is not really the goal. With the higher-end IEMs; there are issues concerning whether flanges, floamies or comfort tips provide the best combination of fit/isolation, comfort and sound.

I don't mean to make it sound complicated -- it's not brain surgery, but losts of posters on these forums have expressed frustration with the process -- everyone's ears and preferences are different.

But you're right about the cost of getting other Shures to see if you might like the more expensive ones -- and the Creatives would not be "throw-away" 'phones, anyway. You would no doubt find use for them, even after being spoiled by really high-end earphones.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Well the ER6i is clearly the better earphone. But if you like your bass, its the EP630. They're much easier to insert too.

EP630 has a strong bass, decent mids and to some, scratchy treble. A little sibilance.
ER6i has deeper bass but at a much lesser amount. A more forward midrange and its treble has no sibilance.

I had both and i will choose the ER6i over the EP630. But it took me about a month to get used to the ER6i.
eek.gif

Edit:
If clarity is what you want, then it gotta be the ER6i.

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 9
was the er6i better by a big margin or is the creative still the better value. Remember that I am ultimately aiming for "Full Size" replacement IEMs like the upcoming Shure E500 so the ultimate in refinement wont matter for my preliminary IEM. I want something that sounds balanced and comfy

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #8 of 9
if your only intersted in the fit just get some of these

or buy a used er6i or e3c on the for sale forums and when you get the e500's you can sell em again. You won't lose that much cash that way.

*edit i have an sony ex71 (similar fitting as the creative) and um1 (similar fitting as the e3). And the difference between these two is very much noticable, especially when it comes down to the fit.

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
was the er6i better by a big margin or is the creative still the better value. Remember that I am ultimately aiming for "Full Size" replacement IEMs like the upcoming Shure E500 so the ultimate in refinement wont matter for my preliminary IEM. I want something that sounds balanced and comfy

Its pretty hard to guage don't you think so?
biggrin.gif
To me and my ears, its quite a margin. The ER6i will sound balanced when you manage to achieve a good seal. Bass will be present and ample.

The EP630 might be a little too bass heavy. But its much cheaper and more comfy. Try the FS forums for a used Ety?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back