Does anyone have the Sony MDR-7509HD or like it?
Nov 10, 2010 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DjAmTraX

Now known as: HiFiGuy528
Anyone here like these cans? What's the difference between the HD and old non-HD version?

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 10
These are probably my favorite studio monitors. Not sure what the difference is between the HD and old version. Never heard the latter.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 10
I have them and like them.  Some time back, a used pair showed up on eBay and I got them for about $80.

They're pretty neutral, isolate well and I find them comfortable.  I don't use them that often since I mostly use open headphones when I listen.  But I've taken them on a number of vacations and really like them for travel.

Keep in mind that I haven't seen many other positive reviews of the 7509HD around here.  I think I might be the only one who enjoys them.  Too bad, since I think they're good headphones.

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 10
Nt much love for MDR7509HD?

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Does anyone know the differences between  the 7506,V6, and these? Do these have that exaggerated Treble extention like the 7506's?

The 7509 was supposed to fix the flaws in the V6...especially the exaggerated upper mids, not treble AFAIK. I notice it a lot with snare drums and distorted electric guitars....definitely sounds like a pretty big peak somewhere in the upper mids.  Sound on Sound magazine gave the 7509HD a very high rating in a shoot out of closed studio headphones.

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Keep in mind that I haven't seen many other positive reviews of the 7509HD around here.  I think I might be the only one who enjoys them.  Too bad, since I think they're good headphones.

But I said I enjoy them!
smile.gif
 Bought them on your say-so actually.

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Quote:

But I said I enjoy them!
smile.gif
 Bought them on your say-so actually.

Check the headphone inventory in this guy's profile. His recommendation may mean more if you see the highly regarded phones he has to compare them to! @Priest - I'm curious how the 7509HD would measure up compared to your Beyer dt250, which is also supposed to be a very neutral closed studio monitor?

Nov 12, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 10
Priest, I'm glad to find someone else who likes them! I wish more would give them a listen - I think the 7509HD is a good solution for a lot of people looking for closed headphones.

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
I'm curious how the 7509HD would measure up compared to your Beyer dt250, which is also supposed to be a very neutral closed studio monitor?

The DT 250-250 are in my top three closed monitor-type headphones (together with the ATH-M50, which is probably third). I use the MDR-7509HD more frequently than the DT 250, but mainly because they are more portable and slightly more comfortable, and not because I like the sound better. The MDR-7509HD also sound fantastic out of a DAP, but can have very slightly more emphasis in the upper frequencies. That is, they can be a tad sharp, but they have better dynamics it seems and are more forward, which is the trade-off. I think it probably comports with my hearing to say that the DT 250 are a hair more neutral. Please keep in mind that this is all for personal listening -- I am not a studio professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back