Does anyone have the iPhone LOD pinout?
Feb 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #242 of 259
I ordered some 1/8 watt 68k's will they work? I've seen a lot of people running around with large resistors and I'm not sure if I have enough wattage on mine.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Xicon/270-68K-RC/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtlubZbdhIBIL1QqMQ78gJLqYwjzkwrgRY%3d

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #245 of 259
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this is the best source of iPod LOD information that I could find so I thought that I'd come here looking for help.  The solution that is posted in this thread (pin 11 to pin 15, pin 21 to pin 15 via 68K resistor) works great for my old iPod Touch 2G but it doesn't behave well with my iPod Touch 4G.  With the 4G sometimes it will work fine.  Other times it will initially feed audio to the line out pins but after 20 seconds it will switch to the onboard speakers.  After another 20 seconds it may switch back to line out or it may continue to feed the onboard speakers.  The switching back and forth is a bit unpredictable but the 20 second interval is consistent.  Strange.  

I've got the following connections:
pin 11 connected to pin 15.  This should send audio through line out rather than the onboard speakers
pin 21 connected to pin 15 via 68K.  This should eliminate the pop up error on the iPod about accessory compatibility.
pin 15 connected to pin 16.  This is actually redundant since these are already connected in the iPod.
pin 2 to common line out audio on car stereo.  This is a line out signal to the stereo.
pin 3 to right line out audio on car stereo.  This is a line out signal to the stereo.
pin 4 to left line out audio on car stereo.  This is a line out signal to the stereo.
pin 16 to USB GND (from a USB adapter).  This is the ground for the 5VDC power supply.
pin 23 to USB 5 VDC (from a USB adapter).  This is the positive 5VDC supply.
pin 25 to USB Data - (from a USB adapter).  The voltage on the USB Data connections allows the iPod to accept USB charging.
pin 27 to USB Data + (from a USB adapter).  The voltage on the USB Data connections allows the iPod to accept USB charging.

On another website I saw that connecting pin 11 to pin 1 and 2, and pin 21 to GND via 500k works for some iPod Touch versions.  Does it matter which GND you connect 11 or 21 to?  Do 11 and 21 both need to be connected for the newer iPods?  Would the connections of the USB data signals conflict with the audio connections?

I can find plenty of examples of the iPod Touch 2G pinout but I can't find a pinout for an iPod Touch 4G.  Can someone give me guidance on the correct connections for reliable line out audio from a newer iPod Touch?  Thanks! 

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #246 of 259
Quote:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this is the best source of iPod LOD information that I could find so I thought that I'd come here looking for help.  The solution that is posted in this thread (pin 11 to pin 15, pin 21 to pin 15 via 68K resistor) works great for my old iPod Touch 2G but it doesn't behave well with my iPod Touch 4G.  With the 4G sometimes it will work fine.  Other times it will initially feed audio to the line out pins but after 20 seconds it will switch to the onboard speakers.  After another 20 seconds it may switch back to line out or it may continue to feed the onboard speakers.  The switching back and forth is a bit unpredictable but the 20 second interval is consistent.  Strange.  

I've got the following connections:
pin 11 connected to pin 15.  This should send audio through line out rather than the onboard speakers
pin 21 connected to pin 15 via 68K.  This should eliminate the pop up error on the iPod about accessory compatibility.
pin 15 connected to pin 16.  This is actually redundant since these are already connected in the iPod.
pin 2 to common line out audio on car stereo.  This is a line out signal to the stereo.
pin 3 to right line out audio on car stereo.  This is a line out signal to the stereo.
pin 4 to left line out audio on car stereo.  This is a line out signal to the stereo.
pin 16 to USB GND (from a USB adapter).  This is the ground for the 5VDC power supply.
pin 23 to USB 5 VDC (from a USB adapter).  This is the positive 5VDC supply.
pin 25 to USB Data - (from a USB adapter).  The voltage on the USB Data connections allows the iPod to accept USB charging.
pin 27 to USB Data + (from a USB adapter).  The voltage on the USB Data connections allows the iPod to accept USB charging.

On another website I saw that connecting pin 11 to pin 1 and 2, and pin 21 to GND via 500k works for some iPod Touch versions.  Does it matter which GND you connect 11 or 21 to?  Do 11 and 21 both need to be connected for the newer iPods?  Would the connections of the USB data signals conflict with the audio connections?

I can find plenty of examples of the iPod Touch 2G pinout but I can't find a pinout for an iPod Touch 4G.  Can someone give me guidance on the correct connections for reliable line out audio from a newer iPod Touch?  Thanks! 

Have you tried simply using 2,3,4 for the audio with 11 and 15 bridged?  I have done that for an iPad 2 and it has worked flawlessly.  I can't find the source, but I thought I read that the pop up was done away with in the latest iterations of the OS.

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #247 of 259
Thanks for the recommendation.  I will give it a try. 

I know that without the 68K resistor from pin 21 to ground I had the pop-up error with iOS5.  I haven't tried it with iOS6 though.  It would be nice if they eliminated the pop-ups.  They were a nuisance rather than a benefit.

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #249 of 259
no, generally 67-69K will work theere is no way to cater for ALL, only most, there are a few models that broke from the norm. look at www.pinouts.ru for the ipod/iphone pinout info on all the models

Nov 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #250 of 259
I fixed the problem with connecting my iPod Touch Gen 4 to my car stereo via line out.  Rather than make another custom cable I used a cable from Rocketfish:
http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/mobile-audio-video/RF-IPCAU6W.html
It has a 30 pin iPod connector on one end.  It has a USB connector and RCA plugs for audio left, audio right, and video on the other end.  Before the installation I checked the pinout of the Rocketfish cable to see how it compared to the pinout that was referenced earlier in this thread.  All of the GND connections are bonded together inside of the cable. Pin 21 was tied to Ground through a 500K ohm resistor.

Pin 1 GND
Pin 2 GND (connects to line out common in RCA plugs)
Pin 3 Line Out R (connects to line out right in RCA plugs)
Pin 4 Line Out L (connects to line out left in RCA plugs)
Pin 11 GND (this being tied to Ground sends audio through line out rather than speakers)
Pin 16 GND (connects to ground lead of USB adapter)
Pin 21 500K ohm connection to GND (enables serial communication)
Pin 23 USB Power (connects to 5VDC lead of USB adapter)
Pin 25 USB Data - (connects to Data - lead of USB adapter)
Pin 27 USB Data + (connects to Data + lead of USB adapter)

The 500K ohm resistor on pin 21 was needed to communicate with my iPod Touch Gen 4 and my iPhone 4S.  The 68K ohm resistor on pin 21 worked for my iPod Touch Gen 2 and my iPhone 3GS.  Hopefully this will help others who encounter this type of communication problem.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #251 of 259
I have small problem with DIY LOD for iTouch 4G. Pin 2 is GND, 3 right channel, 4 left, 11 connected to 15 and then to 21 with 68k smd resistor. But my 68k resistor measures only 66.8K. I've tried with Touch 2G and 4G, with both my LOD didn't works. I have connector from Qables - http://www.qables.com/shop/images/pdf/ipodpinout.pdf Connections looks good, tested with multimeter. What's wrong? 66.8K is not enough, or maybe i need that 500k resistor from pin 21 to GND?

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #252 of 259
Try leaving off the resistor and pin 21.  I have a Touch 3G that works without issue with a LOD using just the 2,3,4, 11, and 15 pins.

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #253 of 259
Hello,
I was wondering if anybody can help with some "strange" issue:
I have a lod connector like this one:

and also this by ALO Audio:

They are both about 3years old.
I use them to connect my rockboxed ipods with amps or to listen to ipod with my cans directly from LO.
I recently tried them with my iphone 4s but.....no can do. The music still comes out of iphone's own "speakers". Funny thing is that I also have a "reasonably" old Onkyo nd-s1 digital dock and Kef Picoforte iPod dock and they work just fine with iphone
!!!!!
Before going and buying some new lod connector I was wondering if anybody can give me some hint at what the problem might be?

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #254 of 259
Are you able to pry open the black shell without breaking it and take a pic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back