Does anyone get stomachaches from artificial sweeteners?
Mar 14, 2006 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Teerawit

Headphoneus Supremus
Lately my stomach has been aching after the consumption of aspartame, Splenda, etc. I think this means no more diet sodas for me. Anyone else have this problem? I think my body is rebelling against these chemicals
eek.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Lately my stomach has been aching after the consumption of aspartame, Splenda, etc. I think this means no more diet sodas for me. Anyone else have this problem? I think my body is rebelling against these chemicals
eek.gif

I can't say I ever have but I try to avoid it when I can... Ill take the bad stuff over chemicals any day.

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 26
No. I drink 2 or 3 cans a day of Diet Cherry Pepsi, and I never get stomachaches.

Maybe you should see a doctor?
Do the stomachaches go away completley if you don't drink them?

Mar 14, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 26
I don't eat artificial sugars because they give me a nasty taste in my mouth for the rest of the day. I stick with the regular thing, but I've never have stomach aches because of artificial sugar.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 26
If you're experiencing stomach pain from drinking soda, it is more likely that it is the acid content therein that is irritating, rather than the sweetner. Cola's contain phosphoric acid, while many other sodas add citric acid.

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 26
O' gosh I hope it's not an ulcer! My GI is fine as far as I can tell...doesn't hurt with real food.

Stomachaches go away a few hours after ingestion.

This doesn't happen with just sodas, but with other sucralose-containing foods.

raisin, you left out carbonic acid
wink.gif

Time to switch to my organic/whole-foods diet
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 26
Also agree that it sounds like an increase in the acidity of your stomach that's cause the stomach problems. Please be careful with artificial sweeteners guys, there have been much research in the dangers of consuming these.

If you guys didn't know, aspartame turns into acid and formaldehyde in your stomach. Why is it approved by the FDA? Not quite sure, cause I know that they know this. Just keep that in mind when you read things that say "FDA approved," cause it doesn't mean exactly what you might think it does.

If you guys need something in the lines of a sweetener, try stevia extract, which is an herb that is used as a sweetener.

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 26
I get very sick after drinking anything with artificial sweetners. Especially Fruit2o. Sodas do the same thing. I figure I am just allergic to the sweetners. I know its not the acid cuz I can drink regular soda no problem.

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
eek.gif

I can't drink Diet Coke and the like. Nutrasweet makes me all kind of thirsty and gives me a slight case of dry mouth actually.

I don't know how people drink Diet Coke and Jack Daniels...disgusting

Fresca is the only 'diet' soft drink I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back