Does anyone else sleep with earplugs in?
Mar 19, 2009 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

asher7323

Head-Fier
I picked up the habit in college otherwise I would never have gotten any sleep.
Now I find it almost impossible to fall asleep without them after doing it for a couple years, any regular house sounds will keep me up. I can hear a ringing in my ears when I do have them in but it isn't severe. I'm guessing it's probably from too much loud music which is a little disconcerting.

Anyways has anyone had any problem if they do this? I've searched for info on any adverse health effects before and besides hearing about gunk buildup or leakage (eww) it doesn't seem to be dangerous. I clean my ears twice a day and never had any problems. But it puts pressure on the ear canal for an extended period of time does anyone think it might be an unwise thing to do?

I use the soft foam disposable ones, not plastic.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 13
I use those foam ones a lot too, not all night every night, but once in a while in the morning if it's noisy.

Weird thing is, if now I wake up really early, like 4 or 5 am, etc. I sometimes can't get back to sleep unless I put in earplugs even though it's dead quiet!

I haven't really noticed any bad effects from them, though -- maybe it would compress wax in there more? I also try to put in just one and then lie on the opposite side to minimize having to put them in both ears, maybe that helps reduce side effects (no pun intended
biggrin.gif
).

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 13
i used to do this all the time in college because my house was party central and i used to row crew (brutal early mornings on the water). i still do it sometimes if my upstairs neighbors are partying and i need to sleep. never noticed any ill effects.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 13
Haha it's good to hear. I figure if I keep those canals clean I can keep sleeping with plugs indefinitely. I'll be a test case for long term effects.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 13
yep, I sleep with earplugs and haven't noticed any negative effects. Although I haven't used them for a while but that's because I got a pimple inside my ear =(

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 13
I often use something like this whenever I want a quick way to have some peace. It makes the surrounding area sweaty however, but I usually put tissue in that area and that solves the sweaty problem. It's also uncomfortable because of the massive clamp, but I always managed to fall asleep with them. I use earplugs when I want to study, but they often put a bit of a pressure in my ears, unless I could find smaller plugs.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 13
I need either earplugs or some kind of white noise to sleep quickly and solidly. Have you tried leaving a fan on? It may take a while to get used to the switch but once you do, you won't have to deal with ear plug discomfort.

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 13
I have a small 4" deskfan i use, or i leave the air filter running.
In the summer, the A/C is on, so no worries then.
I also have a sound conditioner with many sounds in it. Rain is nice.
When i had a large fish tank in here, the bubbling was nice to sleep to, but my Bettas (Siamese Fighting Fish) dont need it.
I have used ear plugs a few times though.

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 13
I have slept every night with earplugs for various reasons depending on where I lived at the time- snoring room mate, street noise, loud steam pipes/radiators.

I always used soft foam ones, E-A-R brand preferred.
not too bad but my ear canals always felt sore or at least very sensitive the next day.

In my current residence I don't need them and am very grateful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back