does anyone else prefer KSC-35 to Grado 225?
Oct 22, 2003 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

MirandaX

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't posted in a while, but now that I've had a chance to try the Grado flat pads, I have a confession to make.... I've realized that I prefer my Koss KSC-35 to my Grado SR-225, regardless of whatever pads are used on the 225. I know this sounds strange, and I have trouble believing it myself, especially since it was the Grado sound that got me interested in headphones in the first place.

The tonal balance on the KSC-35 is just more even, and compared to the SR-225 with the flat pads, the KSC-35 have a larger soundstage. The Grados have a slight edge on speed and a big edge on impact, but with proper amplification the KSC-35 are quite fast too. The Grados also have superior detail, but for the low cost I'm tempted to buy another pair of KSC-35 and experiment with upgrading their cable. The biggest problem for me with the Grados is an upper midrange emphasis that makes some rock irritating to listen to for a long period of time, and which over-emphasizes strings in classical music. Symphonic music in particular just sounds tonally wrong with the Grados, though the detail is wonderful. The KSC-35 seem to have a fairly balanced midrange, in between the Sennheiser and Grado sound. Nice. I'm really glad that I bought my pair of KSC-35. Even though I bought them for portable use, I've been using them at home more and more.

Does anyone else feel this way? (I honestly feel strange comparing $29 headphones to approx. $190 headphones, and finding the cheaper ones superior.)

Oct 22, 2003 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 36
You're nuts.
tongue.gif

The KSC-35s are damn good headphones (especially when used portably, when top-tier sound quality doesn't matter because you're not paying enough attention anyway) but they can't hold a candle to full-size home-use headphones.

- Chris

Oct 22, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 36
Heh. I wouldn't think there's any comparison.

Your problem is probably that you find the Grados too forward. Look for something at the Grado-level with a different sound signature (Beyer, AKG) and you may find yourself much happier than with the KSC-35.

--Chris

Oct 22, 2003 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
You're nuts.
tongue.gif

The KSC-35s are damn good headphones (especially when used portably, when top-tier sound quality doesn't matter because you're not paying enough attention anyway) but they can't hold a candle to full-size home-use headphones.

I don't know about that (though I agree that they're great headphones). I think my opinion might change if I had any of Joe Grado's headphones, which are said to have a more balanced sound, but between these two specific headphones (KSC-35 and SR-225), I definitely prefer the former.

Oct 22, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
Heh. I wouldn't think there's any comparison.

You should try a pair of KSC-35!

Quote:

Your problem is probably that you find the Grados too forward. Look for something at the Grado-level with a different sound signature (Beyer, AKG) and you may find yourself much happier than with the KSC-35.

Agreed; I have a pair of Beyer 250-250 that I use at the office and really like them. Honestly, I kind of like the forward Grado sound, but there's something that's just somewhat unbalanced to me about how the Grados do it. I'd probably like the Beyer 880s. I definitely didn't like the Sennheiser 600 when I heard them (way too laid back) but that was with the stock cable, so it's possible I would like them more with an upgraded cable. Haven't heard any AKGs.

Oct 22, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 36
I've heard both of these headphones (still has a KSC-35, the SR225 was borrowed trial.. hehehe)... I think I understand where you're coming from. Initially I was really tempted by the Grado sound, but it was just too bright for me. Too forward, and like you said, didn't seem to have the tonal balance I was looking for.

I didn't mind listening to SR225 for short amount of time.. but listening to them in long duration was a little unbearable. It just seemed like too much sound with too small of a brain to process them (maybe that's just me?.. eh.. heheheh).

I agree with the suggestion, try a pair of Beyer, AKG, maybe Audio Technica (which is what I'm looking into getting next)...

Oct 23, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 36
While I enjoy the KSC-35 sound, I much prefer the Grados. After I let someone borrow my SR60 and I was stuck with just the KSC-35's, I went through withdrawal and had to satisfy my cravings by buying a pair of SR-225... It sure cured me. Sure the tonal balance may be out of whack, but hey, I'm a fan of the Grado sound.

But I will also say that the HP-2's beat them all hands down.

Oct 23, 2003 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 36
KSC-50's were my first good headphones, and I still love 'em. They're musical and easy to listen to. I haven't heard the SR-225, but I fear that it would be too forward for me. I have a good feeling about the SR-125, though. Anybody wanna loan me a pair?
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Chinchy
While I enjoy the KSC-35 sound, I much prefer the Grados. After I let someone borrow my SR60 and I was stuck with just the KSC-35's, I went through withdrawal and had to satisfy my cravings by buying a pair of SR-225... It sure cured me. Sure the tonal balance may be out of whack, but hey, I'm a fan of the Grado sound.

But I will also say that the HP-2's beat them all hands down.

Or SR200
evil_smiley.gif
Much better tonal balance. Joe Grado had it going on
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 36
Yes!

Oct 23, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 36
Yeah, I'm using Joe Grado phones (SR200) to compare but still - SR225's can't be far away.

Of course, are you using bowl pads? Bowl pads makes baby Jesus cry as well as bleed profusely from the ears. GET FLAT PADS! It makes a WORLD of difference! And now that Todd has brought them back, there's no reason not to.

- Chris

Oct 23, 2003 at 1:31 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Of course, are you using bowl pads? Bowl pads makes baby Jesus cry as well as bleed profusely from the ears. GET FLAT PADS!

Yeah, I just got the flat pads -- they are better than the bowls, but I still prefer the KSC-35s. You're lucky to have the SR-200; I suspect I would prefer them.

Oct 23, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Steve999
KSC-35s are the real deal:

headroom graphs of hd600 vs. ksc35 vs. sr225

Impressive! I would never have guessed.

I guess my complaint with the KSC-35 is that they don't sound "refined" enough for my primary taste in music (Classical). The Grados don't sound very refined either, but I actually like the forwardness and speed when listening to my second taste in music (Knopfler, Simon, Dylan, Cash -- folksy rock).

On the rare occasion that I listen to harder stuff (The Who, Floyd, Zeppelin), the Grados make me feel like my brain is being rubbed against a cheese-grater (with the Senn pads & comfies -- my flats haven't arrived yet).

Maybe I'll buy a pair and give it a second chance, though.

--Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back