Does alo cdm + final d8000 is good choose?
Sep 10, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't think a portable amp + full-size headphone is a good choice...and you probably want to include a DAC...

There are lots of portable amps that are suitable to drive lots of full-sized headphones. I'm not sure in this case, though.

Alo cdm have a dac

i don't know anything about the Final D8000, but checking the specs and generlizing from T50RPs (which are a little less sensitive than the D8000), the CDM should be able to drive it, but you might find you need the balanced connection to have sufficient power.

And some folks are of the opinion that you really need a lot of power for planar headphones, more than specs would state. In that case, it would probably make more sense to look at something that puts out more power at lower impedances. (iFi Micro Black Label, Chord Mojo or Hugo?)

One thing to be aware of with the CDM is that the DAC has a smooth sound. It is much more colored than the tube amp section, which is not usually the order of things. Whether that's desirable or not is subjective. Some folks never use the DAC section on their CDMs, while others like it a lot. (I like it.)

Also, if you don't already have a CDM, do be aware that the CDM runs quite hot, especially when using the DAC. Heat can be mitigated by switching to single triode tubes like the Sonotone ones which ALO sells.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Personally, I love Final d8000. It is amp-friendly, but its potential is considerable. The performance is good with iPhone, a strong amp can give you a big surprise. (I compared final d8000 and hifiman susvara with octave v16)

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #8 of 8
There are lots of portable amps that are suitable to drive lots of full-sized headphones. I'm not sure in this case, though.

i don't know anything about the Final D8000, but checking the specs and generlizing from T50RPs (which are a little less sensitive than the D8000), the CDM should be able to drive it, but you might find you need the balanced connection to have sufficient power.

And some folks are of the opinion that you really need a lot of power for planar headphones, more than specs would state. In that case, it would probably make more sense to look at something that puts out more power at lower impedances. (iFi Micro Black Label, Chord Mojo or Hugo?)

One thing to be aware of with the CDM is that the DAC has a smooth sound. It is much more colored than the tube amp section, which is not usually the order of things. Whether that's desirable or not is subjective. Some folks never use the DAC section on their CDMs, while others like it a lot. (I like it.)

Also, if you don't already have a CDM, do be aware that the CDM runs quite hot, especially when using the DAC. Heat can be mitigated by switching to single triode tubes like the Sonotone ones which ALO sells.
I agree with you, sometimes portable amps can be suitable, that depends on the sensitivities of headphones and its style. Like shure 1840 with hugo are good but t5p or sony z7 with hugo will be terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back