Does a headphone extension degrade sound ?
Jun 9, 2002 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mr.T

New Head-Fier
If a have a pair of headphones that have a 6' cord if I buy a separate extension cord for my headphones just say a 10' and add it to my 6' cord to make 16' Does that degrade sound even slightly or will the sound be 100% with a extension or without ?
Thanks

Jun 9, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 8
Conventional wisdom is that anything in the path will degrade the sound. If you follow this logic out to the final degree, you'll realize that even plugging your headphones in will degrade the sound. Think about it.....

That sound is doing just fine until we have the gall to listen to it...
confused.gif

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 8
I have three extension cables.....a Radio Shack, a Sonic Horizons Sunrise, and a Grado. To my ears, they all diminish the sound quality, particularly weakening the bass response. The Grado does the least damage, while the Radio Shack is the worst. I use the Grado exclusively now, and unless I A/B the 'phones, with and without the extension cable, I really don't notice the change. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.T
Might be a stupid question but, What's A/B mean ?

It is a switch that you can have one source and switch between 2 sets of headphones.

Jun 9, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 8
every component , switch , plug , socket and wire changes the character of sound , the more of them the worse it is.

Jun 9, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 8
Does this degradation in sound also apply to the Etymotic ER4P canal phones with the "S" adapter? Etymotic now sells their own P to S adapter, but does the P with the S adapter sound the same as the ER4S? Fixup has an adapter too.

Jun 10, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 8
Any additional cable or connection can POSSIBLY degrade the sound. You have to listen for yourself.

I use an extention but it is made of 18 gage stranded copper wire. Pretty thick, but works great for the price. I eventually may get a good cord from Headroom, but as long as the one I have works, I will use it. Besides, I can't hear any decreases in sound quality with it. I can with the Radio Shack though.

I am thinking of making another extention of good 4 conductor Straightwire speaker cable (Quartet cable) that has good materials and is 14 gage. That's almost $4 a foot though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back