Do you wear your Grados in public places, bus, subway, etc.
Jan 31, 2007 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

nonamebrand

Head-Fier
So do any of you Grado owners wear your cans out in public places such as the the bus, subway and other places where people might have to put up with the sound leakage?

I haven't worn my Grados in public yet, since I've just bought them last week. But already I can tell you guys weren't exaggerating when you said they leak major sound. If I leave my bedroom and set my Grados down, I can still hear them down the hall. Not only can I hear them, but I can actually make out what part of the song is playing.

Honestly I find it annoying when I'm on the bus or subway and can hear somebody else's cans blaring music. But there's also ambient noise, such as people talking on cell phones, people conversing, kids yelling, babies crying, etc. which you can't help but hear, but have no choice to hear since you're within earshot.

When I take public transportation, it's mainly to get to my campus. My subway and bus is always packed. Which means I could be annoying a lot of people. I wouldn't dare using my Grados on my bus ride to my campus, as 99% of the riders on the bus are students, almost half whom are reading and studying.

So do you Grado in public?

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 23
if some guy sitting next to me on the subway was wearing grados, i'd unplug them from his mp3 player when he wasn't looking... don't do it, it will annoy the people around you to no end. i already tried on a bus once, didnt work out well!

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 23
They leak tons but if you were to bring it outsdie the leakage wotn be as noticable as indoors cause of allt he extra noise. Still they are loud, I brought my sr80s out before but just like the ksc75s I keep them at a good normal volume level not too high tat it will travel 10 ft lol, as long as i keept he volume at a decent level it doesnt seem to annoy anyone but yes people next to u will hear it word for word. but in my experience if i keep like around 5 ft distance its good, which is why i dont sit on buses or trains xP if i bring grados out, and most of th etime i'm just walkign so having grados out is no biggie for me, if i'm on train or bus i just try to keep it far from people. But its still a annoyance.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 23
I wear mine out. If I take them off, I can barely hear them. I don't think anyone notices the leakage. I would wear my DT770, but they require too much power and they don't fold flat. I use my E500s when I know I'm not going to have to interact with anyone.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 23
iGrados? Sure! HF-1's? Not a chance.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #7 of 23
I used to wear SR-125's going to class. Funny thing is I've seen someone wearing SR-80's going to class too!

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 23
1997-2002 SR60's in public
2002 wife inherits SR60's
2002 Zanth buys himself a pair of Koss 35's
2002-2006 Zanth goes through more than a few pairs of 35's and even gives a pair to his wife
2006 iGrado usurps Koss 35's for active outdoor use
while UM2's and Ety's swap for mobile but stationary use (car - not while driving, bus etc)

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 23
Full sized cans as portables for lyfe
cool.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 23
There are a lot of kids and adults wearing full-sized cans on the go in Toronto. Most of them are wearing Sony DJ-style stuff, but at least they're better than crappy stock budz. Grados are pretty popular on the street, too. I wear my Alessandros sometimes... I don't listen to music loud enough for anybody to notice. Also, I like being able to hear what's happening around me, like a criminal on the run or a car coming straight at me. Gotta love the big city.

Wearing Grados on the subway is stupid, though. I wear earplugs underground and focus on reading until I'm above ground.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 23
I wear my SR60s out because they (a) sound good and (b) keep my ears warm in the -20 Kingston weather.

I try to keep the volume to a level that won't attract attention. Although I have seen one or two other grado wearers from time to time, although never when I have mine on
frown.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #14 of 23
sr-60 no problem,gs-1000 never

Users who are viewing this thread

Back