Do you want the metric system in the USA?
Jan 29, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #16 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
America should have swapped to metric in the 70s.
Way way way overdue.

x2

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #17 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but I don't care one way or the other. Are people really incapable of dealing with both systems?

I don't feel that the issue is that we are "incapable", but rather that it's a waste of time and effort to use two systems when there is one that can pretty much cover what we need.

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #18 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do what the uk does and just use both

That's what we were doing in the 70s. Road signs for distance had miles and kilometers, speed limits were posted in mph and kph, and weather reports had both F and C. But it stopped sometime in the late 70s.

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #19 of 122
I get both responses as an engineer. I had one prof that loves the US system because you are already thinking in terms of force with the pound-standard but that is only thing the US system has going for it. The best example I use is just length alone. I can't do the fraction math fast enough in my head, let alone try to get the decimal fast enough to put it into a CAD program without using a calculator. Such a pain in the neck.

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #20 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, cause it was just end up confusing the hell out of my teddy bear.

I spoke with your teddy bear and he's only 2/3 convinced. I explained that thinking in 10's is so much easier. So now we're inching closer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #21 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spoke with your teddy bear and he's only 2/3 convinced. I explained that thinking in 10's is so much easier. So now we're inching closer.
smily_headphones1.gif

lol
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #22 of 122
I would love to see the metric system implemented here. The only metric measurement that I have a problem with is temperature.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #23 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to see the metric system implemented here. The only metric measurement that I have a problem with is temperature.

I don't think celsius is a metric measurement. But in any case, celsius is a beautiful way of measuring temperature. 0° is when water freezes, 100° is when water boils, couldn't ask for a more logical measurement of temperature.

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #24 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I suppose you mean with weather forecasts and the like. yeah, i imagine it could be confusing at first. But with 0 Celsius/centigrade as the freezing temp of water (or melting point of ice), 100 boiling point - you nice round numbers... you'll get use to it

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #26 of 122
I drive a car with mph speedo so convert as I drive,was in the building game for years and use both systems,something you have to do when ordering material.
There are lots of materials that still come in imperial sizes.
Even in a Country where its been metric for years you find many using tapes with metric and imperial markings.
I know a lot of machinists that still work in thousandths of an inch as do most engine builders so there is a place for both systems,[Ships still have the knot].

Lets be honest if the Imperial system is to hard to understand then we have a problem with education not with the system.

Reminds me of the days when the whole world would speak one language and there would be no more problems,and so Esperanto was born and we are still waiting for it to mature.[Why flog a dead horse]

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #27 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonanimal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't feel that the issue is that we are "incapable", but rather that it's a waste of time and effort to use two systems when there is one that can pretty much cover what we need.

Apparently NASA can't handle the difference. But aside from rocket scientists, I don't think it's a big deal.

Jan 30, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #28 of 122
The current system of measurement that we use in the US makes absolutely no sense so I try to avoid it when I can. I still use imperial units for driving (MPH, MPG, miles) and ambient temperature but I use the metric system for everything else.

Jan 30, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #29 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think celsius is a metric measurement. But in any case, celsius is a beautiful way of measuring temperature. 0° is when water freezes, 100° is when water boils, couldn't ask for a more logical measurement of temperature.

My qualm with it (Celsius/Centigrade) is that, while it is well-supported by scientific phenomena, it isn't as precise in measuring ever-day conditions on the surface of the earth. Plus, it isn't even all that useful scientifically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back