Do you think you're done?
Mar 23, 2010 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

Young Spade

Headphoneus Supremus
Finally reaching the "pinnacle" of my audio equipment which I dreamed of when I started this hobby two years ago, I don't necessarily think I'm done, more like finally content with my music.

I think I'm going to hold back on upgrades for a while now until down the road when I can save up and get something REALLY good such as customs or a higher end amp.

But how about you guys? Do you think that you've reached the point where you're comfortable with your setup and aren't really looking for "Major" upgrades (READ: A "better" pair of equipment, not talking about "side upgrades" such as something for a different sound)?

However if I had the money I'd definitely be buying some different gear
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 57
I keep thinking about it but then I keep finding boxsets and old jems on vinyl that I gotta buy first.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 57
I'm not done. I'm not going to upgrade for a while, but hearing what the warmer bass of the HF2 and LD I+ can do for classical and jazz I'm strongly considering a side purchase of something like an HD600. I also really want to try STAX. I also want a good set of gaming cans. I also want to try IEMs for noisier trips. I also might want to consider a closed set for the computer when open isn't preferred. I also might...

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #8 of 57
Yea.... if I were to get something right now it would be another universal (leaving customs out of thought right now
tongue.gif
) to "fill in" the rest of the sound that the Triple.Fi's don't emphasize (maybe something more forward for rock/metal?).

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 57
I'm kinda done for now. I've tried a few things and the thrill isn't as big as it initially was. Maybe not buying things for half a year would bring it back. Hey this is a good idea for me!

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #10 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm kinda done for now. I've tried a few things and the thrill isn't as big as it initially was. Maybe not buying things for half a year would bring it back. Hey this is a good idea for me!

so you're not excited about your new dac? or soon receiving your mspros and ad900??

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #11 of 57
I'm not done, and I don't think I'll ever be done. The hobby is always evolving, new gear is coming out, new driver principles are discovered and old ones are being revived, and it's too fascinating to be a part of it for me to just leave it be.

But when it comes to maxing out my current rig in terms of what's currently available, I still need a Blue Hawaii. And maybe a set of JH13s too, but I'm less sure about that one. Still the most important part of the whole journey is done - I finally know what sound I want, and I have a pretty good idea of what gear I need to get in order to get there. And I have most of it already. So it's just a matter of time.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #12 of 57
I'm not done. Need a DAC. My rig sounds really good. Really good. It has a nice supporting cast of gear. Very tweeked. Anyway, very impressed right now with the sound. Just added a SID DISC. highend-electronics Products: SID and enjoying every minute of it.

Mar 23, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #13 of 57
For headphones: Seems like I'm wrapping things up in the next year or so. I need to get my analog rig settled, but I'm pretty much done buying anything sourcewise (digital and analog). Ampwise I need a Blue Hawaii. For headphones I think I'm pretty much set on the Stax Omega/O2/Sigma/Lambda Sig and will sell the rest. The only way this all might change is if I find a R10 for pretty cheap.

For speakers: I'm dead set on the Quad ESL 57 and have been since I heard it, but I would like to work on room treatments at some point to get the rig to sound even better. I can't really imagine what it'll sound like, so that's very exciting. I am slowly getting into DIY, and eventually would like to build an extremely beefy amp specifically for the Quads.

Not done looking for more music though.
wink.gif
As much music as I know and love, I feel like I've still only seen the tip of the iceberg thus far.

Mar 23, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #15 of 57
I'm pretty content for the moment. For sale threads with good deals tempt me every now and then, but I won't be getting any new gear until I can get a job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back