Do you think that the movie "Krampus" will be any good?
Dec 2, 2015 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
I'm not normally a fan of the contemporary horror flick, but I think that it is an interesting idea for a horror movie and it could be good, if done correctly. For those who don't know, the being known as 'Krampus' is a 'horned, anthropomorphic figure who punishes children during the Christmas season who have misbehaved'. Krampus is a part of German-speaking Alpine folklore. 'The origin of the figure is unclear; some folklorists and anthropologists have postulated a pre-Christian origin for the figure.' (I got my information from Wikipedia)

The first horror movie that the director of this movie (Michael Dougherty) was involved in was not well-reviewed. It received an average rating of 4.4/10 from critics on Rotten Tomatoes, and 2.8/5 from audiences. However, his next horror project (Trick 'r Treat) was well liked by critics and audiences alike. It received an average rating of 7.4/10 from critics, and 3.6/5 from audiences.

Apart from the above-mentioned horror movies, Michael Dougherty was also a screenwriter for X2: X-Men United and Superman Returns. He is also listed as a screenwriter for the upcoming X-Men movie 'X-Men: Apocalypse'.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 19
Sounds like it might have potential. I saw Trick 'r Treat recently and I'd say it's one of the better anthology movies out there... certainly the best Halloween anthology I've seen (including the recent 'Tales of Halloween', which was a bit of a circle jerk for the directors involved IMO).

Are you referring to 'Urban Legends' as Dougherty's first involvement with horror? Probably best not to judge him on that as it looks like straight-to-video horror fodder - probably just happy to pick up the writer's cheque for a boilerplate screenplay!

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 19
I haven't personally seen 'Trick 'r Treat' because I almost never bother watching modern horror movies. They are usually horrible. But color me intrigued about this movie! I really hope that the people involved don't screw it up. I'm definitely going to be waiting to see if it is well reviewed before I watch it. And yes, I was referring to 'Urban Legends'.

On a side note, I'm very pleasantly surprised to see new horror movies that are starting to get good reviews. I've never been able to take the horror genre seriously because of how dumb modern horror movies usually are, but there have been a few titles recently that (according to reviews anyway as I haven't personally seen them) have actually been movies worth watching. Movies such as 'The Babadook' and 'It Follows'. Could we possibly be witnessing the start of a much needed revolution in the horror movie sub-industry? If so, then viva la revolución!

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 19
  I haven't personally seen 'Trick 'r Treat' because I almost never bother watching modern horror movies. They are usually horrible. But color me intrigued about this movie! I really hope that the people involved don't screw it up. I'm definitely going to be waiting to see if it is well reviewed before I watch it. And yes, I was referring to 'Urban Legends'.

On a side note, I'm very pleasantly surprised to see new horror movies that are starting to get good reviews. I've never been able to take the horror genre seriously because of how dumb modern horror movies usually are, but there have been a few titles recently that (according to reviews anyway as I haven't personally seen them) have actually been movies worth watching. Movies such as 'The Babadook' and 'It Follows'. Could we possibly be witnessing the start of a much needed revolution in the horror movie sub-industry? If so, then viva la revolución!

I think you're missing out there then - as a big fan of the genre myself, I can agree that a lot of modern horror sucks but equally every year there are some great new releases. It Follows was a standout for sure. The Babadook was solid as well, but kinda mainstream, in the same way the likes of Sinister or The Conjuring are. There were better horror films out last year on the fringes - Creep, Alleluia, Starry Eyes, Over Your Dead Body, The Canal, Oculus, The Guest... preferred all of those to The Babadook.

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 19
Well, I was looking for movies to watch on Netflix so I wouldn't have to dish out money that I don't have currently and I found 'Creep'. They pulled that multi-genre concept off pretty well. Before this movie, I had only ever seen old horror movies that were good.

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 19
Creep was one of my favourite films of 2014 in any genre - one of the most brilliant ultra-low-budget found footage films I've seen (this year's They Look Like People runs it close though). It just goes to show what you can accomplish with a couple of good actors and a wolf mask! Gets right under the skin and
 leaves your mind spinning with the implications of what you're watching unfold...

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 19
I wasn't that blown away by it tbh - only ranked it about 10th at FrightFest 2014. I've seen a lot of horror, and I didn't find it hugely original. It was well made though, I'll give it that. It'd get a 6 or 7 out of 10 from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back