Do you think Apple will ever come out with a full-size/portable headphone?
Jun 11, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who cares. I wouldn't buy it. Nor would anyone on this forum.

A lot of people on this forum have a more open mind than this
wink.gif

However, if Apple release any "proper" headphone, I am pretty sure it's gonna sit somewhere in the mid 100 in term of value, ie, they probably will not go above in price or quality.

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt they'd do such a thing - I'm still surprised they bothered with the dual driver canalphone (unless they plan to later include it instead of the stock buds)

Considering the nature of IEMs and their problems in getting a good fit to get the right sound, I doubt that. What is included has to be easy to use even if it sounds bad, which is ironic, because it doesn't really show how your player can sound.

Apple buys Yuin... now that would be news
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #19 of 39
I'm sure apple is fully capable of making a fantastic headphone, with their billions of dollars and thousands of engineers. They just wouldn't make it because there is no market for hi-fi anymore. If they are ever gonna market a real, full size headphone, it won't even matter what it sounds like, because consumers don't care. It just has to look good and have a lot of bass.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure apple is fully capable of making a fantastic headphone, with their billions of dollars and thousands of engineers. They just wouldn't make it because there is no market for hi-fi anymore. If they are ever gonna market a real, full size headphone, it won't even matter what it sounds like, because consumers don't care. It just has to look good and have a lot of bass.

Looking around at people happy using Stock earbuds I 100% agree with the bold.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #21 of 39
At the same time, Steve Jobs could take a dump in a box, and sell it for obscene amounts of money. Considering how, now that there is an option, many times many people are opting to download higher quality songs via itunes, it seems to me that PORTABLE Hi-Fi just may become just as much of a status symbol as the ipod itself did 8 years ago.

I'd imagine a silver ES7 with a white apple on it could easily sell for $300.

Years from now, just as theyve falsely marketed Macs as the ultimate movie/audio-making machine (on top of their multimedia ventures with the MacTV), I can easily see Macs being touted as the ultimate home entertainment desktop. Around this time, Apple will release a Qualia-esque headphone. No Generation-X'er will be without a pair!

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just like all of its other products, come on, macPro for 2800$? I can get an AMD Dragon system for half the price

Can your "AMD Dragon" run OSX? Don't mean to start a Apple flame war, but there's a price to pay in order to use OSX (Windows users call it the "Apple-tax"). Sure, you can clone a Mac Pro for half the price, but its just not the same without OSX.

Whether that "tax" is justifiable, that's a personal choice. You'll never understand it until you use OSX.

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I've ever disagreed with someone more then this.

in terms of audio design of headphones and ear buds Apple is totally consumer and probably on the low end of consumer, below bose, below most of what they sell........but in terms of design and interface the iPod/iPodTouch is basically THE modern marvel of music listening. They will never compete in the headphone realm unless they drastically revise their goal. I don't foresee a full size headphone in the near future for a few reasons.........one of the marketing strategies of the ipod was the fact that most other brands at the same time offered full size "bulky" headphones, but apple was "cooler" and offered a more stylish ear bud which didn't make you look dorky or mess up your hair. If you went to their store and bought a bose headphone, you were still "cool" cause bose is the "Bling" of ipod land........

I don't sound like an apple fan, but i'm a HUGE apple fan

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #25 of 39
They'd be just as overpriced as Dre's Beats, and just as underwhelming.

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who cares. I wouldn't buy it. Nor would anyone on this forum.

Just what I was thinkng about.

It's not a question of open mind.
It is a matter of Know-How. how old are AKG or Sennheiser? And how old is the factory that produces the iPods in China? how many art masters are there? How much money have they spent in research for SQ?
Sorry but Apple is, in its consumer line of products, more concerned about fashion-conscious college students rather than sound quality.
And the fact that they can make a thin highresolution screen or touchscreen or whatever screen does NOT mean they would be able to make hi-end headphones, as it does not mean they would be able to make racing cars, jet planes, microwave ovens or whatever they would like to.

Jun 12, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edoardo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not a question of open mind.
It is a matter of Know-How. how old are AKG or Sennheiser? And how old is the factory that produces the iPods in China? how many art masters are there? How much money have they spent in research for SQ?

Products are assembled in China, and designed in California, I don't understand your point there, especially if you consider that Yuins, one of the best (if not THE best) maker of earbuds comes from there. And many many other companies have their products assembled there.

Quote:

And the fact that they can make a thin highresolution screen or touchscreen or whatever screen does NOT mean they would be able to make hi-end headphones, as it does not mean they would be able to make racing cars, jet planes, microwave ovens or whatever they would like to.

Apple does not make their own screens. They are outsourced. Apple does the design. If they commission and outsource the production of a good quality headphone from an established headphone company, who knows how it might turn out.

The ADDIEM are a very good step in the right direction imho, but I'm pretty sure Apple didn't make these - only the design. Maybe Bose, who knows...
biggrin.gif

Bring better arguments...
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #29 of 39
If it's going to be boring white like the Dual Driver IEM and stock buds then i'm not interested in it.(looks wise)

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #30 of 39
I really do not think so!
But if they do, then I am sure they would be quite nice. As Apple know a thing or two about design and functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back