Do you say David Bowie as in 'Joey' or as in 'BOW-ee'?
Feb 22, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #17 of 52
Buh' owie

An "owie" as in a "boo boo" for a little kid. As in, "Mommy, kiss my owie! It hurts. Wahhhh!"

Ok, I'm just being silly. Joey-like is it.

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #19 of 52
Like jo-ey. Like the knife. The way David Jones prefers people to pronounce his stage name, iirc, btw.

(he couldn't go on stage as david jones because of that monkees guy)

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When people say "BOW" do they mean like a bow and arrow, or like bowing to someone?

Like bowing to someone. That's not the correct pronunciation, and thus this thread: to complain about how annoying it is when people mess it up like this.

Quote:

I have said BOH-ee. Like bow and arrow. Is that right?

Correct. Or as others have said, like Joey. Note that there is no debate at all about how it should be pronounced: only a complaint that despite how easy and obvious it is, people still mess it up.

Now if only someone would please start another Grey-doe versus Grah-doh thread. Those are always fun.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #24 of 52
I've learnt of David Bowie from the net, so I never really heard an "official" pronunciation but I assumed its BOW-ee.

First in the thread it seems that Joey is the right answer, and near the end people is talking about BOW(BOH)-ee again....

So... what's the final word? Which one is the "official" pronunciation? I assumes it Joey?

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by xzjia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... what's the final word? Which one is the "official" pronunciation? I assumes it Joey?

Yes, like Joey. So the 'OW' is pronounced as in 'go' 'dough' 'low' 'tow' 'oh'
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #30 of 52
I live in Maryland near the town of Bowie. It's pronounced "Boo-E", like the knife. And unfortunately many MD/VA/DC fools pronounce David's last name the same way.

BTW, this thread would have been far less confusing if the OP had said -

Bow-E (as in the bow of a boat) (which is wrong)

with-out that stipulation, Bow-ee can/does rhyme with Joey

David's last name does indeed rhyme with Joey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back