Do you really need multi headphones when you buy a statement headphone
Sep 15, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #16 of 42
Hey, if a person is financially able to afford numerous "statement" headphones, and many different amps to drive them, why not?

This is a "hobby", and is supposed to be fun. Everyone has a different idea of what fun is...To each their own.

How boring would it be if there was only one "reference" amp and one "reference" headphone available to us? Plus, who is qualified to choose this mythical "reference" headphone for everyone?

Sure, I listen to live music a few times a week, play multiple instruments, and have access to wicked expensive gear. However, I am no more qualified to decide what is "right" for another person than anyone else. And, it is nice to have a wide variety of gear at ones disposal when "judging" different audio components, designs and/or design concepts, or just to find the right combination of gear when chasing the gestalt.

Peace,

Lee

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #17 of 42
Sure you can have 1 headphone that sounds great with everything, but I am sure there will always be another can that sounds better for different songs. Im sure if it was more practical, you would have different speakers for different music, but you have to design your room with a particular set of speakers in mind, you have to have perfect placement, and have to have the room to have a large set of speakers not counting the cash it would take to have more than one. Maybe if you are rich enough, you could have multiple rooms with different speaker setups. One self contained headphone = one speaker setup in one room. We dont have multiple switching drivers in cans, so you wouldnt have multiple speakers in a room because it couldnt be optimized for the differnt needs of each set of speakers.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #18 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure you can have 1 headphone that sounds great with everything, but I am sure there will always be another can that sounds better for different songs. Im sure if it was more practical, you would have different speakers for different music, but you have to design your room with a particular set of speakers in mind, you have to have perfect placement, and have to have the room to have a large set of speakers not counting the cash it would take to have more than one. Maybe if you are rich enough, you could have multiple rooms with different speaker setups. One self contained headphone = one speaker setup in one room. We dont have multiple switching drivers in cans, so you wouldnt have multiple speakers in a room because it couldnt be optimized for the differnt needs of each set of speakers.

I agree 100%, the sound of a conventional "speaker based" audio system, is not only a product of how the speakers are designed, but how said speakers interact/interface with the room. This is why the "best" speaker based systems (IMO) all have some type of passive room treatment and digital room EQ. It is really not feasible to have multiple sets of $$$$ speaker systems optimally set up in the same room.

However, one can set up multiple "reference quality" headphone based systems in a much smaller amount of space, without regard for the surroundings, provided the room is quiet, and attention is paid to the details.

Peace,

Lee

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #19 of 42
I think it's a bit odd to have multiple headphones for various types of music but I can see why one would do that. The difference between having a few types of headphones and a few types of speakers is primarily cost and space.

If you are like me and don't listen to lots of different genres then one good pair would probably be sufficient but if you listen to jazz, classical, rock, ambient, etc. then it would probably be nice to have 'phones that work well with that type of music.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the price iyt should suffice for most genres..

Forget about price, sometimes what is more expensive is not what you will enjoy best...but I agree with you in one thing, and this is actually what I do, once I like one particular headphone, try to get another pair, as spare, and stick to those for long time. Until I found something that I really like better.

Honestly I do not get it....why listening something that I will enjoy less, while I have the one I really enjoy sitting here???

That of course excludes heaphones for different uses, like Gym, jogging, portable use, etc...

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #21 of 42
One pair of headphones?

Oh my.

Variety is the spice of life. In everything.

I really wanted to name all my headphones. Names like Cindi, Betsy, Trixie, Suzi, Sugar, Bubbles, Tootsie, Peaches ... but I would be dead, and my wife would be arrested for felony murder (the all-female jury would let her off).

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

I really wanted to name all my headphones. Names like Cindi, Betsy, Trixie, Suzi, Sugar, Bubbles, Tootsie, Peaches ... but I would be dead, and my wife would be arrested for felony murder (the all-female jury would let her off).

So what did you settle for names- Bob, Pete, Bubba, and Fred? You can keep Bubbles though, She is probably a cross dresser.
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, if a person is financially able to afford numerous "statement" headphones, and many different amps to drive them, why not?

This is a "hobby", and is supposed to be fun. Everyone has a different idea of what fun is...To each their own.

How boring would it be if there was only one "reference" amp and one "reference" headphone available to us? Plus, who is qualified to choose this mythical "reference" headphone for everyone?

Sure, I listen to live music a few times a week, play multiple instruments, and have access to wicked expensive gear. However, I am no more qualified to decide what is "right" for another person than anyone else. And, it is nice to have a wide variety of gear at ones disposal when "judging" different audio components, designs and/or design concepts, or just to find the right combination of gear when chasing the gestalt.

Peace,

Lee

x2.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #24 of 42
Some of us here have a "problem" with accumulating gear. I'm willing to admit I'm in that category. I build way too many amps and buy too many headphones. I've made promises I'll pare down to just 3-4 rigs, just not tomorrow or the day after.
smily_headphones1.gif

Life is too short to feel guilty about a mundane vice like headphone stuff. Buy an airplane and collect a few bicycles if you want to see a gushing wallet wound.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of us here have a "problem" with accumulating gear. I'm willing to admit I'm in that category. I build way too many amps and buy too many headphones. I've made promises I'll pare down to just 3-4 rigs, just not tomorrow or the day after.
smily_headphones1.gif

Life is too short to feel guilty about a mundane vice like headphone stuff. Buy an airplane and collect a few bicycles if you want to see a gushing wallet wound.

I am on that boat also, only worse cuz I am not known to be a good keeper of anything - even when I try my best to keep them in good shape, they somehow manage to get broken, scratched up, beat up... Seeing how it would be difficult to sell it, I end up keeping some of it.

Recently I got myself a pair of AD2000s on top of my beloved HD650s. I can appreciate where two phones differ in sound, and like them both. It's just impossible to pick one of the two
frown.gif
The ATH phone did make me rethink about keeping the HD580 and K701 however. I will most probably only have enough to time to spend between the first two phones.

Worse yet, I think I will have to get D7000 some day to see if it lives up to the hype
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #26 of 42
Take headphone as clothes or handbags (I know it's a little feminin and a little bit for you guys). Women like handbagS. Many are beautiful, and each one is special in its own right. Headphones, especially statement headphones, share the same characteristic here. You're free to own more than one. And you're expected to love them all
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #27 of 42
One pair of headphones ? Might as well have spent the sum total of my (modest) headphone collection on a decent pair of speakers - sure, they would sound good, but it would be the *same* sound night after night ....

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #28 of 42
It will be so boring to stick to one.

1 have a computer Rig phone(HD595)... a On the move Phone(Sr80i/ UM2) ... a relax/ laze around phone ( HD650).. a Rock and JAzz phone(Ms2i) ..

And of course i am aiming for hopefully the phone that will end my search for more phone ... PS1000... until that comes.. i still need those phones for various needs and just cannot find why we need any lesser
k701smile.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #29 of 42
I prefer having multiple headphones. When I want something more intense and upforward, I use Grados. When it's late at night or I'm trying to study and I need something more mellow, I go to the Senns. Ultimately, how the music sounds to my ears is what is most important. It'd be harder for me to care less about technicality. The Grado SR80s honestly get more time on my ears than the HD600s.

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer having multiple headphones. When I want something more intense and upforward, I use Grados. When it's late at night or I'm trying to study and I need something more mellow, I go to the Senns. Ultimately, how the music sounds to my ears is what is most important. It'd be harder for me to care less about technicality. The Grado SR80s honestly get more time on my ears than the HD600s.

A kindred spirit - more power to you, sir ! I suspect that we may have to circle the wagons when the HD600 owners get wind of this heresy.
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back