2. Always in the 'sweet spot'
3. No interfering room acoustics
4. Portable
5. Economical
6. Noise isolation and attenuation

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #78 of 115
Headphones....portability

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #79 of 115
the only speakers i prefer over headphones are...
the ones at a live concert. 
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #80 of 115
congratz on the 1,000 post TheWuss
biggrin.gif

now get off your ass and post some ED8 vs DT990 comparisons
cool.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #81 of 115

Quote:
congratz on the 1,000 post TheWuss
biggrin.gif

now get off your ass and post some ED8 vs DT990 comparisons
cool.gif

now that sounds like a cool idea.
would it upset you too badly if i told you i just received my T1 today... ?

don't worry, tho.  i won't be selling the dt990. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #82 of 115
The Magnepan MMG's really are something, haven't really listened to my headphones at home since I got these (that's about two months now). They are very similar to the Staxes in that they have a very natural effortless sound, not as good with the bass (it's punchy and available, but underpowered) but they really do the soundstage thing much better. Sound really does not seem to come from the speakers.

Luckily I can listen whenever I want and put them wherever I want so no drawbacks to speaker use now, that'll be different when I move into my girlfriends place... they are a bit low on the WAF scale.

Jul 30, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #83 of 115
I prefer speakers as they fill the room with sound, but with headphones I find im able to hear subtle details that is lost in my speakers, its there but seems harder to hear what with everything else going on, with phones it seems more precise.

Also headphones are a more private listening experience, infact I wish my neighbours would buy some phones when they have their horrible dance music banging away with full bass (bassheads!) :)

Jul 30, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #85 of 115

Quote:
I prefer speakers as they fill the room with sound, but with headphones I find im able to hear subtle details that is lost in my speakers, its there but seems harder to hear what with everything else going on, with phones it seems more precise.

Also headphones are a more private listening experience, infact I with my neighbours would buy some phones when they have their alful dance music banging away with full bass (bassheads!) :)

Your spot on!!

Although you can hear hear subtle details in speakers, but speakers for that amount of detail tend to cost alot more.

This is another reason why i prefer headphones?

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #86 of 115

[size=16.0pt]I prefer speakers[/size]
[size=14.0pt]In all my life, music has never been the last thing to enjoy and share. When, I became older and started earning money I could afford buying good quality audio equipment including headphones, amplifier and speakers. And while enjoying the music, I many times wandered which way of sound projection I would prefer, through headphones or speakers. I even read the articles which dealt with that kind of question. I saw that large majority of people described themselves pretty much as headphone lovers. There were less people who stated that they enjoyed listening to the sound from the big source. Wonder whether some of those headphones loving people were really true to the readers and most importantly to themselves. The way of explaining their preference headphones over speakers often sounds more like obligation, less like preference to certain sound projection. [/size]
[size=14.0pt]Let’s for example take a statement “I prefer headphones because I don’t want to hear my neighbors grumble”. This statement only explains the fact that the person enjoys listening to the music which can be quite annoying to his close living residents. However, those words absolutely don’t explain the reason of choosing headphones over speakers. Had the person lived in highly sound-isolating environment, such statement of choosing headphones over speakers would automatically fail. [/size]
[size=14.0pt]Another statement goes like “I prefer headphones because they are much more affordable”. Those words give information that the person can’t or simply not willing to spend big money for audio equipment. For him or her, having speakers for less amount of money is just enough. But had this very person were a millionaire and had a chance to check gorgeous high definition speakers such as Totem or JBL, wouldn’t be go for the bigger sound source then! I bet he would!!! Large and beautiful wooden speakers would be a wonderful addition to the house of that very man and woman.  [/size]
[size=14.0pt]Here is another statement “I prefer headphones because they deliver more details”. This is not a true. Headphones sound more detailed because they are placed very close to human eardrum. Also speakers, may sound less detailed due to the low acoustic capacity of the room. As result, high pitched sound which fades away quickly over the distance usually isn’t heard that well through speakers than through headphones. But big and heavy high definition speakers or subwoofer alone generally produce much more bass than any kinds of headphones.  The true power of sound can be sensed not only by ear, but by the entire human body. Can be done such things with headphones? I don’t think so. [/size]
[size=14.0pt]However, there is certain statement which I think truly explains the man’s or woman’s choice of headphones over speakers. This statement sounds like that “I enjoy sweet intimacy of sound coming from headphones”.  And what a lovely explanation! Yes, there is something which one can experience solely through headphones, but not speakers. The sound coming from headphones feels touchy and takes you within the place of music performance. It gives you the sense of being close really close to the actual instruments and people the voices of whom you are hearing. It is some sort of feel like “You are here”, not one of the speakers which states “They are here”. In this case, I can really see why the person really prefers headphones over speakers.[/size]
[size=14.0pt]I personally prefer speakers over headphones. It gives me true pleasure to experience sweet sound feeling my room while knowing that beautiful looking speakers make my room cozier than ever before. When, I listen to the music I don’t want to be wired to anything, but move freely in my room. I want to feel the smooth soundwave with my body which cannot be accomplished with any headphones.  Then, when the evening comes, I enjoy listening to the music in the presence of dancing light. In addition, karaoke is fun only with speakers. [/size]

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #87 of 115
I hope you noticed you have just bumped a 1 year old thread and with terrible huge font, I just hope you are just a bot.

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #90 of 115
It has got to be headphones for me. I live in a flat and so prefer to keep the noise down and I prefer the sound given from a set of good cans....it just feels more personal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back