Do you prefer "fun" headphones or "reference" headphones?
May 9, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #211 of 213
A headphone has no value for me if it does not make me want to get up and dance. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter to me whether my headphones are "fun" or "reference" or anything in between as long as their sound makes me want to rock out.

May 9, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #212 of 213
Personally I'd love one of both; but since I listen to Classical and Acoustic more and appreciate those genres more than the others, I'd pick the reference phone; I just ordered a K702 for that very reason :)

Plus with the reference phone, I can still enjoy those other genres the way they were recorded; not saying anything's wrong with some coloration. I love using the EQ from time to time :)

May 10, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #213 of 213
Yes, of course. But it would be more easy to start from a reference point and from there to identify the coloration of the other components in the chain. Most headphones will keep their sound characteristics across the board to some degree. For example, take your 650. You can drive them with a bright system and they will get more treble energy, but the low mid won't totally disappear.
Yes but the opposite is also true. If a recording HAS a midbass hump, a reference headphone should be able to reproduce that. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back