Do you prefer "fun" headphones or "reference" headphones?
Apr 27, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #151 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How on God's earth were you "discussing your perspective and experience" when you called out all Head-fiers who prefer the HD800 over your most beloved AKGs for "not knowing what they are listening too"?

Or better yet calling us owners of F1 automobiles and not know how to drive them? Not a good way to make friends I think.

It was you who made the personal attacks. Go ahead and critic the gear, but when you go beyond that and accuse people of not knowing what they're listening too...that's crossing the line.

You know what, I've had my ears now for going on 38 years and I think I know how to use them just fine thank you. I've played trumpet in various jazz bands on the side for more than 20 years so I know music too.

Just because you ripped a so called "album" in your basement with your girlfriend does not make you the be all and end all authority of what I am hearing and that is my issue with you.

Come on Eddie...grow up. What did you expect from those of us who disagree with your extreme fanbous nature?

FTR, it was you who "crossed the line!"

You already closed a thread this month. You've been busy trashing other threads and you're continuing your manipulation. Jude already fell for it, but not all the members will fall for your dirty tricks even if you get personal and emotional. So, I'll ask you nicely, please stop it.

I'm done feeding the troll, so if you have something informative and inspiring to say about the headphones, great. If not, go back to doing whatever it is that you do.

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #152 of 213
Trolls who were trolled by trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls that troll trolls who were trolled by trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls because they were trolled by trolls trolling trolls.

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #153 of 213
...Oh the joys of owning a headphone no one else owns, clear skies ahead!
wink_face.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #154 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You already closed a thread this month. You've been busy trashing other threads and you're continuing your manipulation. Jude already fell for it, but not all the members will fall for your dirty tricks even if you get personal and emotional. So, I'll ask you nicely, please stop it.

I'm done feeding the troll, so if you have something informative and inspiring to say about the headphones, great. If not, go back to doing whatever it is that you do.

Listen up. YOU are the troll. Who exactly do you think you are going around here telling people to "please stop it" and "go back to doing whatever it is that you do"? How did you come upon the mistaken impression that you have some kind of authority in this forum and can give people orders like that?

Who do you think you are telling the creator of Head-Fi that he "has crossed the line"? What line exactly are you talking about? Jude is nothing but professional, polite, and dignified each time he posts a reply on HIS forum. So he agrees with us, the majority, that your ears are whack when you make absurd statements like the HD280 has a more neutral tonal balance than the HD800 and you get your feelings hurt? Therefore he has crossed your line? Man you seriously need to get over yourself. It's like Macedonian said. You master some tracks in your basement and think that somehow gives you credence and experience over everyone else? Do you actually believe you have some golden ears that the rest of us don't? Do I even need to ask that question? Of course you believe that. Reality check time bro. You don't.

How insulting you are to imply that Jude doesn't have an opinion of his own. For you to insinuate that what Macedonian said influenced the opinion of Jude in any way is ludicrous. Jude has far more experience with headphones than you, far more than the majority of every member here. That is a an actual fact and is undebatable. When you try to imply that any of us "don't know what we are hearing", especially Jude, you only succeed in making yourself look like an arrogant fool. A troll.

Please consider taking your own advice in the future. If you don't have anything informative or inspiring to say about headphones then perhaps you shouldn't be posting? I assure you that you are not informing those of us with far more headphone experience than you about anything at all. Please take a look at your join date on this forum and the post count associated with it. Perhaps you could consider posting less and spending more of your time actually gaining experience? That way you would actually have something informative to share with us.

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #155 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because you ripped a so called "album" in your basement with your girlfriend does not make you the be all and end all authority of what I am hearing and that is my issue with you.

Come on Eddie...grow up. What did you expect from those of us who disagree with your extreme fanbous nature?

FTR, it was you who "crossed the line!"

Ha, you're trying to insult my music. How pathetic of you. Just disgusting.

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #156 of 213
What does "reference" mean? There is obviously no agreement here. There's multiple ways to consider reference and all of them are correct for their interpretation.

There is studio reference. I like to call that "studio sound" but nobody else seems to know what I'm talking about when I call it that. To me that's a sound that makes details very clear. A sound that makes it very easy to detect and correct flaws. A sound that makes it very easy to hear slight changes when adjusting a guitar effect. A sound that makes it very easy to hear the changes with different mics.

My brother has a pair of studio monitor speakers that are like that. They're brutal. But oh so useful. They are very much what I consider "studio sound". However, they are not speakers I would want to listen to music on, not because they are bad speakers (they are very good), but because the music gets detailed to death and loses midrange love and the highs have a Beyer DT990 thing going on.

Then there is audiophile reference. Flat. Detailed. But still easy to listen to.

Could an audiophile reference headphone work in a studio? It should
Could a studio sound reference headphone work for an audiophile? Only if they are a music masochist (and some are)

That's my personal take on reference. I'm wrong. I'm going to regret this post.
Keep in mind that I like some "fun" in my music. I've yet to hear a reference headphone that I would like for music listening.

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #157 of 213
ham sandwich, I think you're onto something, I've had the same thought too. But if studio monitors are meant to expose flaws, then they are hardly a reference are they?

You have BX5a monitors, which in my experience sound similar to my Mackie Monitors, which are clearly a studio reference. They are incredibly musical

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #158 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ditto! I love this forum because you can express independent feelings and findings and I really hate the flame wars .

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #159 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does "reference" mean? There is obviously no agreement here. There's multiple ways to consider reference and all of them are correct for their interpretation.

By the word "reference" alone I would think extension of source, point of reference and relating. Therefor based on this my idea of reference is something that sounds most like the source, i.e. the singers voice, the musicians guitar as is possible. A pair of headphones that best replicates these tones without adding anything should be classed as reference.

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #161 of 213
If a reference headphone isn't fun to listen to, it's not a reference headphone. Analytical sound is a coloration and isn't accurate. Musicality is inherent to the music, and if a phone fails to capture that, well then it's the phone's problem.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #162 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ham sandwich, I think you're onto something, I've had the same thought too. But if studio monitors are meant to expose flaws, then they are hardly a reference are they?

They're studio reference. Hence what I think of as studio sound.

Quote:

You have BX5a monitors, which in my experience sound similar to my Mackie Monitors, which are clearly a studio reference. They are incredibly musical

My M-Audio monitors are studio monitors. But they don't have the studio sound. I like them for music. As studio monitors as used in a studio though they'd be lacking, especially in details.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #163 of 213
Well I know lots of studios use mackie monitors, and they are musical as all he!l. They sound very similar to the HP1000 and JH13 pro, very well amped HD650 (though still not quite as "thick"), orpheus, and I suspect my fostex T10 as well if I can get the damping right.

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #164 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the word "reference" alone I would think extension of source, point of reference and relating. Therefor based on this my idea of reference is something that sounds most like the source, i.e. the singers voice, the musicians guitar as is possible. A pair of headphones that best replicates these tones without adding anything should be classed as reference.

This is 100% correct. However there is a problem, the actual source being recorded is being mediated by the sound engineer onto the medium. The engineer then records an accurate representation of the source as depicted by his playback and monitoring chain.

To break it down very simply. If an engineer uses the HD650 (hypothetically, as they do use speakers) - the top end may be exaggerated to compensate for its dark nature. Play this material on the K701/HD800 and one may hear this as being too bright - compared to intent i.e. actual performance.

Subsequently a performance mastered on HD800/K701 may have the recording in such a way to be accurate to source. Playing this material on the HD650 may render the sound bloated as compared to performance.

I believe headphones like HD800/OmegaII/HEV90/R10 can be described as Hi-End phones that can be used for reference. However, to state that reference status is obtained by the resolution of these phones is absolutely false as evidenced by engineers themselves.

There are Hi-End recordings that can be downloaded or purchased that can exploit the resolution of Hi-End phones and speakers - a lot of people listen to these style of recordings and they may sound truly incredible - however, there are a large number of people, including myself, that find these recordings mundane. I believe using such resolving phones on conventionally mastered recordings, many of which sound incredible, would not lead to an accurate depiction of the recorded event. In this situation analysing music is not so bad, but analysing details that also exposes errors is far from musical.

Hence I believe multiple sets of phones with diverse tonalities to counter the diverse tonalities in recorded material is paramount. I find the list that Acix took the time to compile very informative as should beginners looking into this hobby. I hope owners of Hi-End phones do not criticise hobbyists that elect not to purchase phones of extreme resolution - In my instance, most of my music preferences are mass marketed material.

For the record Acix is so incorrect - everyone knows the HD650 is the ultimate reference.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back