Do you own an Orpheus? I need your help!
Oct 28, 2002 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
I'm trying to figure out what connector the Big O uses, because I'm planning to get a pair of Big O headphones for use with my KGSS-in-construction.

Unfortunately, I don't know what type of plug it uses beyond the fact that it's a 5-pin Lemo. Unfortunately, Lemos come in lots of types and sizes...

So, if you own an Orpheus or have access to one, could you do me a favor and measure the overall outer diameter? It would also help if you could take a good photo of the jack, but any help at all would be great!
cool.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 24
That's great for service, RickG!
smily_headphones1.gif

- The info I found was that the connector is a 5-pin HV plug..

Don't know what the "HV" stands for.

Oct 28, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 24
Yo, I think you're going to have a bit of trouble finding an Orpheus without its paired amp. Anybody that does own an Orpheus probably wouldn't want to sell the headphones without the amp. Do you have a source to get the headphones?

Oct 28, 2002 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 24
FYI, I believe that the Orpheus has a 6-pin plug. I see in your profile that you are just 15 years old, I think your parents are going to frown about you buying a $6000 headphone
frown.gif
. I really shouldn't be the one to tell people how to spend their money, but I think you could do better than that for the price, like buying a used car, buy a girl a diamond ring, give to charity
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 24
*sigh*

i don't live in denial that i am poor...

i don't buy nice watches or fancy cars...

i just try to get the best which my budget will allow...

Jeebus...

If you are 15 and don't have a car, save up for one... they will give you much more freedom and enjoyment than headphones ever will. I.e. drive to concerts rather than listen to the same music on expensive headphones...

Jesus... for the price of one of those rockport tech. turntables, I could move to vienna, rent a flat, and see orchestras on a nightly basis.

Oct 28, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
FYI, I believe that the Orpheus has a 6-pin plug.

WRONG.

It is 5 pin HV.

Oct 28, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 24
Flasken,

HV probably means "High Voltage" with the insulator and conductor spacing designed for transporting high voltages. The Orpheus probably has a bias voltage in the 500 to 600 Volt range.

--Andre

Oct 29, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #13 of 24
Thanks Mr. Moderator!

And yes, I already have a source for the headphones, no, I'm not going to pay $6k for them.

Yes, I've read the Sennheiser page; my next step will be to try and contact them... According to Kevin Gilmore (a REALLY cool guy, if you ever get into electrostatic DIY), it's a Lemo plug ("HV" is kind of generic). The bias voltage is around 580V, +/- 20V or so.

Nov 26, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 24
Thanks to Jatinder, I've figured out all the necessary details. Once the whole Ovid project is finished (my pet name for KGSS+Orpheus
wink.gif
) I'll post up a webpage with all the necessary information...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back