Do you own a vintage CD player? (pics please!)
Feb 16, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #91 of 131
I picked up a vintage Sony CD-85ES and was blown away by how good it sounds. Some early CD players still hold their own. Built like a tank too.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk 2

I love all that Sony ES stuff. Fantastic build quality and sound! Personally, I rather bemoan the modern era of computer/sound file based music. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #92 of 131
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what I could get in the way of an SACD player that would still do a good job of reproduction today. I picked up a Dennon 2910 which is supposed to have been a very good unit in its day, but I was wondering going back 10 years or so what some of the better units may have been or if the one I got was one of the better ones.

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #93 of 131
I've got a 2003 vintage Sony SACD player that'll still hold it's own. XA9000SE? I can never remember the damn model number...WHY don't they just give it a NAME? It was their flagship player back in the day....Stereopile did a review on it.
Weighs 36lbs, built like a tank.It was 3K back then new; should be able to score a used one for around $650 or so now.

Mar 19, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #94 of 131
I can't supply a pic just yet as it's boxed up for a forthcoming house move, but my entry to this thread is an early 1990s Sony CDP 559ES. A monstrously heavy thing with the Gibraltar copper  chassis. It sounds beautiful to this day. It was out of service for a good few years with what I thought was a borked drive assembly. However it just turned out to be dried up lubricant on part of the drive. Once I cleaned it up and re-lubed it it worked perfectly.

It maybe 25 years old but it sounds sublime still...at least to my ears anyway. It will sit on top of a similar-era Nakamachi BX300E tape deck when it gets its new home. Along with a recently re-capped mid-90s Naim 72/Hicap/140. Yeah I'm stuck in the past but what the hell, I've never felt the need to upgrade as I love the sound and am loathe to change it even for nice new sparkly gear.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #95 of 131
  I can't supply a pic just yet as it's boxed up for a forthcoming house move, but my entry to this thread is an early 1990s Sony CDP 559ES. A monstrously heavy thing with the Gibraltar copper  chassis. It sounds beautiful to this day. It was out of service for a good few years with what I thought was a borked drive assembly. However it just turned out to be dried up lubricant on part of the drive. Once I cleaned it up and re-lubed it it worked perfectly.

It maybe 25 years old but it sounds sublime still...at least to my ears anyway. It will sit on top of a similar-era Nakamachi BX300E tape deck when it gets its new home. Along with a recently re-capped mid-90s Naim 72/Hicap/140. Yeah I'm stuck in the past but what the hell, I've never felt the need to upgrade as I love the sound and am loathe to change it even for nice new sparkly gear.

You should check out this forum for vintage gear. Probably the best on this website / the whole web.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners/14220#post_11426185
P.S. I loved that game when I was younger, Commander Keen. I could play all of the levels in my sleep haha!

Mar 25, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #96 of 131
I bought my first ever CD-player back in 1992 while still in high school. It was a slightly used unit but practically a new one. I still have it and use it weekly. It's Sony CDP-295. Picture below is not my unit since I didn't bother to unpluck it for a good picture.

cd%20sony%20cdp295%20copy.jpg

Here she is in her natural environment with friends :)

adf7541bc2b799ad78867026ab0d5f32.jpg

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #97 of 131
Great thread, must admit I am falling in love with my original Philips 160 again only domestic CD I have owned, reading here think it deserves to go into the workshop for some TLC, sounds like a bunch of caps to start off with, mind you something must be done with the output connectors also. Got it plugged direct to my newly finished ( well almost) headphone amp a late 80's JLH design, great fun to build and to my poor ageing ears sounds very well indeed. :)

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #98 of 131
Just seen your post from 2014 about the Philips CD160 . I have one of these which i bought in 1987 and also the pyramid shaped remote unit. Do you know if these have any value and where i could sell them?

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #99 of 131
My Pioneer PDR 609 recorder/player....................love this unit!

Apr 4, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #101 of 131

Wow!  Chase Technologies remote pre-amp!!  Nice!!!

I own three of them...................have them on three different vintage systems.  Remote controls and vintage = nirvana. 

Aug 7, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #102 of 131
I just took a plunge into an outdated technology aka the CD format. Bought an EAD CD-1000 series III with dual burr brown PCM-63P. I may send this unit to Noble audio (Greg Palma the guy who designed it) to have it hot rodded if it sounds up to snuff.

I own a lot of CDs and part of the reason I wanted this so badly is because I'm just too lazy/lack the free time to rip all of them to FLAC. Also I want to see if going straight transport -> DAC will have less (or any) noticeable jitter compared to the S/PDIF out of my soundcard.

Sep 5, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #103 of 131

I got my EAD CD-1000 Series III fixed. The laser lens of the Pioneer transport had came off and had to be glued back on. Anyways this has to be one of the most "analog" sounding CD players I have ever heard. With HDCDs this player beats my Theta DS Pro Progeny in definition and resolution. The 2X PCM63P-k's beat the PCM67P-k in the midrange.. it is more neutral. The Theta has slightly more midrange and upper bass bloom.

With normal CD quality, I think the Theta may have a slight advantage in soundstage and dynamics. It is more engaging and lively, the CD-1000 is more neutral (not to a fault) but isn't quite as exciting as the Theta. Still with CD playback this player will kick CD player ass compared to anything you can buy under $5000. The DAC section is based on the same topology as the EAD DSP7000mkIII.

All I can say is, I will cherish this relic and my Theta because they both are very similar in sound signature with the EAD taking a more neutral and defined approach and the Theta being the showoff and look-at-me DAC with impressive dynamics and imaging.

Sep 7, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #104 of 131
"Vintage CD Player". I am so old.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #105 of 131
I bought my first ever CD-player back in 1992 while still in high school. It was a slightly used unit but practically a new one. I still have it and use it weekly. It's Sony CDP-295. Picture below is not my unit since I didn't bother to unpluck it for a good picture.

cd%20sony%20cdp295%20copy.jpg

Good stuff. Do you remember what did they used to call the part on the right with all the individual numbers? I think it was a "calendar" or some other similar nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back