Do you like IOS 8.4?
Jun 30, 2015 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 40
Several months ago, the 5th gen ipod video I bought in 2006 finally died. I suspect the dock connector finally gave out - it wouldn't recognize being plugged in to a charger or to my PC. I was very sorry to see it die - we had nearly 10 good years together. I had tried several times to get off iTunes, and MediaMonkey finally allowed me to do that once and for all. Now I get by with just a Sansa Clip+ and 32 GB card. The user interface sucks, but it's good enough for my purposes, and it's small, cheap and travels well. I need to use my phone as a device for voice, email, calendar and web browser, so also trying to use it for audio just doesn't work for me. I very much prefer having a dedicated audio device.

Someday I might get a real audiophile DAP, but none of the ones I have tried had an interface that worked well enough for me to spend more than the cost of the Clip+. I will never understand why the rest of the DAP world has such trouble making a decent set of user controls and interface. I suppose it's just the typical struggle that HW companies have whenever they need to design good software. They just can't grok the concept...

:p

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 40
With an update of iOS 8.4 we have given up the simple freedom of playing songs. We are now asked to become part of a grand design. Taking part in joining Facebook style like groups. Asking to become, no being forced to become part of the Apple Stream Machine.

Really with all these choices we end up with a bogged-down user experience and less choice in the end.

I'm all done with I-Tunes..........

WHATTTT!USDKAD:AS?:>DAS>?ZXC>ZXC?

I own no apple device except for this laptop I am typing on (ironically) (had to buy it because of school) so I don't keep track of Apple news or anything but that's... ridiculous.
So you're saying you have to use Apple Music or something?

After a bit of thinking, it means a chance for everyone who uses Apple devices can get something better! :)

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 40
Well iOS 8.4 came out today. Many will think it will be fun to have it. Some were intrigued by Apple streaming.

I'm just bogged down by the new interface. They should have left stuff alone and just made a section for streaming. Maybe I will be able to get to that point. It is just so different using an iPod Touch now and trying to listen to music.

It's like that night when you drank a six-pack of beers with friends then went looking for blackberries only to get tangled in a barb-wire fence. No big deal just an annoying thing to ruin the party vibe.

It will be interesting to see how folks like it. Really though there is maybe only 15 people on Head-Fi left using IPod Touchs for music playback?

The remainder have iPhones.

Jul 1, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #5 of 40
One of the few reasons why I'm glad my iPod Touch 4G only goes up to 6.1.6. Hopefully when I get a 5G it doesn't come with 8.4...
The store button already annoys me a bit. All these unnecessary bog-downs will just make me insane.

Though if all hope is lost with iPod Touches... I may have to switch players. I've only encountered one candidate yet, being the NWZ-A15/17. Mainly because it has one of things I look for a DAP in terms of ergonomics, a bottom 3.5 mm jack.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #6 of 40
Several months ago, the 5th gen ipod video I bought in 2006 finally died. I suspect the dock connector finally gave out - it wouldn't recognize being plugged in to a charger or to my PC.

I have a cable that charges my iPod, but no longer allows music transfer.  In my case, I lucked out and a new cable got me back in business.  

I suppose it's just the typical struggle that HW companies have whenever they need to design good software. They just can't grok the concept...

tongue.gif

Man, isn't that the truth?  

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 40
Well iOS 8.4 came out today. Many will think it will be fun to have it. Some were intrigued by Apple streaming.

I'm just bogged down by the new interface. They should have left stuff alone and just made a section for streaming. Maybe I will be able to get to that point. It is just so different using an iPod Touch now and trying to listen to music.

It's like that night when you drank a six-pack of beers with friends then went looking for blackberries only to get tangled in a barb-wire fence. No big deal just an annoying thing to ruin the party vibe.

It will be interesting to see how folks like it. Really though there is maybe only 15 people on Head-Fi left using IPod Touchs for music playback?

The remainder have iPhones.

I use a Touch 5G but not with iTunes, I  use other apps and Google Streaming on the Touch. Neutron is available on ios, it has a parametric EQ.

Jul 1, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 40
I still use an iPod Classic 6gen, that I just throw tracks onto in Linux. Works like a champ. I like the idea of buying stuff I want to read/hear/see. Helps focus the attention. I really don't need access to every book, song, or movie ever made at all times.

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 40
I'm normally no defender of Apple, but this is a ridiculous and exaggerated thread.  Any device you have continues to play from your local library just fine.  Did you not notice the big "take me to my music" button when you launched the application?

Don't like it?  It turns out there's a simple solution.  Don't use it.  The same applies to Facebook and whatever other online/social software you can name.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #11 of 40
  I'm normally no defender of Apple, but this is a ridiculous and exaggerated thread.  Any device you have continues to play from your local library just fine.  Did you not notice the big "take me to my music" button when you launched the application?

Don't like it?  It turns out there's a simple solution.  Don't use it.  The same applies to Facebook and whatever other online/social software you can name.

Well put. I use my iPhone 6 128GB as my only portable music source right now while I await my new Questyle player. The new iOS won't bother me at at...I can still access my ALAC music files at will and stream TIDAL. I'm happy.

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 40
I didn't even know what IOS is until I had to test an app in an iPad 2 for video streaming with a host over wifi. I like the iPad because it supports dual band. I also had to test an Android device.

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 40
  I didn't even know what IOS is until I had to test an app in an iPad 2 for video streaming with a host over wifi. I like the iPad because it supports dual band. I also had to test an Android device.

All of my Android devices support dual band Wifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back