Do you give people money when they ask for it?
Jun 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

Headphoneus Supremus
I had an experience yesterday in which I was taking out the trash & recycling, and a gentleman approached me looking distraught/deperate and said he's looking to get a couple bucks for gas for his car.

Usually I will grab a few dollars or change and give it over; after all it's only a bit of money and i've been in those situations myself a few times. Actually just recently I didn't have enough for bus fare and the guy i'd been chatting with @ the bus-stop paid for me.

Anyway, since I pay most things with Credit these days, all I had on me was a 20. I gave it to him and he was very grateful of course
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't usually do that (see #2 below)but was feeling generous for some reason.

So:
1)If someone asks for a few dollars for bus fare, gas or whatever, do you give it to them?
2)If you only had a larger bill like a 10 or 20, would you give them that or say that you only have the bigger bill and can't help them? (or say you have no money on you at all)

I am very curious since i've done #2 many times and want to see what the status quo is on this sort of thing!

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 78
Yes, I certainly help a fellow out if I have cash. But living fully of debit/credit cards I rarely do.
With exceptions to those who clearly beg for a living (drug addicts, gipsies, ...), which do not get a dime from me.

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 78
I never do. There are so few people who are actually homeless and desperate that don't have mental illness compounded by addiction that I don't see the need to ever do it. I would help pass a bill that created better, free addiction recovery programs and realistic treatment for their mental health issues even if it raised my taxes.

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 78
Nope, most of these guys just spend it on beer or cigs. I only carry $5-10 in cash and just use my credit card or debit card. If they want a fresh water bottle or food. I'll give that but cash no.

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 78
I mostly use plastic and very seldom have I ever handed out more than a dollar (you hear a good story now and then) but I usually leave the house with a few quarters in my pocket which I will easily part with when asked.

Jun 14, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 78
No, I use plastic for almost everything. Despite the perception, I've found that using a charge card (as opposed to credit; you have to pay off a charge card every month) or debit card is a great way to stay on budget. You get a summary of how you spend money every month, too, which helps with budgeting.

Anyhow, I usually don't have cash to give. However, I have bought food and water for people.

Interestingly, the vast majority don't seem to be interested in food even though they supposedly want money to "buy food."

Jun 14, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 78
When I was in grad school in downtown Detroit, I was hit up by these guys sometimes several times a day. I learned my lesson one day when I gave a guy looking for bus fare some money, and heard him not 45 minutes later on a pay phone trying to score drugs. Over the next two years, I heard that guy trying to catch the same bus over and over and over again.

I've also made repeated offers to buy a sandwich from the campus commons for these guys. Funny...they NEVER ONCE took me up on it. Most cursed at me, and one even flashed a boxcutter at me. I guess they didn't like the food any better than I did. I'm also thinking that's why the popular choice for the clever panhandler became "I need a bus ticket".

In my experience, almost all of these folks are either going to use the money for drugs, booze, or are running a small business. Yes, that's right...our local news channel did a segment on some of these folks who went home to their homes after they finished "working" for the day. I recognized one of them from campus.

It's too bad, because there may well be folks who are desperate for help that have to compete with these other folks. Because I can't distinguish one from the other, nobody gets my money.

Jun 14, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 78
As a rule of thumb, I never give money. Who knows how it will be really used? If it is a homeless person and not workforce capable, and I have the chance, I will buy them something to eat or give them the food I just bought.

One thing I cannot stand though is people on the road who are obviously lucid and able-bodied begging for money. I never give them anything. Go get a job!

Jun 14, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 78
Voted yes. In case I can really help I will give some cash. However, I won't give a penny to any bum, drug addict or whatever. Also, I rarely have cash on me...

Jun 14, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #11 of 78
Certainly not, there are shelters and food services for the homeless. I don't mind paying more taxes for a social re-insertion program that would help them get jobs, but I'm not going to give them money when they already have shelter and food and are not willing to get a job to buy their cigarettes or drugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back