Do you concider buying music on the forums supporting the band?
Mar 17, 2007 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mminutel

500+ Head-Fier
I have had an awakening recently about buying CDs. I can go and buy a cd for ~20$ locally or for 6$ each off of head-fiers. Do you still consider this supporting the artist? If not, I will just buy it straight from the artist or continue buying locally.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 3
I sell albums for a living, and the simple answer to this is "sometimes".

I, for example, give all of my artists EXTREMELY fair percentages of earnings in comparison to most record companies, even the indie ones - and I'm a two-man firm! However, if the artist is signed to a major label like EMI, Sony, or Warner, it is likely that you will need to do far more than just buy albums to get all the money to the artist that they truly deserve.

On the other hand, if you get exposed to a new artist by means of buying a CD used from Head-Fi, you're 100% more likely to go to their concerts and/or buy their merchandise than if you had never heard them before. So, in theory, almost any CD sale, no matter what the source, can be considered "supporting" the artist.

Mar 17, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks. I enjoy music a lot more now since joining head-fi and want to get a large CD collection. And to think that I had given up on music for more than a year. It seemed that I didnt like anything that was coming out but I have discovered that I actually like a lot of older Prog and even new prog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back